Silver Galapagos Snorkeling/Kayaking

nynewfies

My husband and I are scheduled to depart on the Silver Galapagos in November (Balta to San Cristobal).  He has somewhat limited mobility on land due to a recent fall, but is an excellent swimmer and looking forward to snorkeling, and kayaking would probably be OK as well as along as he has help getting in and out of the kayak. How many days is snorkeling offered on this cruise?  How many days will kayaking be offered and will he have help getting in and out?  It's possible that he will have to remain on the ship for hiking excursions, and we want to be sure that it will still be worthwhile for him to take this cruise.  Thanks for taking the time to answer!

I can't answer to the kayaking - it wasn't offered everyday and you did have to sign up for it - there were limited spots.

Snorkeling was offered most days. a few times it was snorkeling from the beach, and others it was from the zodiacs.

We did the North Central itinerary in January 2017. We snorkeled almost everyday. We also did the two kayak trips offered. You did have to sign up, but there wasn't a huge demand and I believe everyone who wanted to go got too. They just put in the number of kayaks requested. They could not have everyone on the cruise (100) all kayak at once not only for the logistics, but because they didn't carry that many kayaks. Also, remember the stops are for the most part just half days so just three or four hours. I suppose they could have insisted you just kayak for one hour, but everyone went together following a guide with the current. There were maybe 8 to 10 kayaks on each trip. Some were singles and some doubles. We considered the kayaking trips to be some of the best excursions of the trip.

Thanks so much for the information!  We'll be sure to sign up for any kayaking excursions that are offered.  I think my husband will be much more comfortable doing anything in the water than anything on land.  Can you tell me - is the terrain often very hilly for the hikes, or is it sometimes more level, like on the beach?  I am thinking that uneven, rocky inclines would not be a good idea for him, but a sandy beach would probably be OK.

They almost always offered two hikes on each stop - one for gentle walkers (usually shorter too), and one for those who wanted more strenuous hiking. They show you a video at the evening briefing of each path so you can decide if you can do it. We did the more strenuous hikes and yes they were difficult at times. In parts you were hiking over boulders and other times climbing in steep areas. I sometimes had to use your hands. The gentle walks were almost always flat and often times on or near the beach. 

Thanks Nanci!  My husband is in PT twice per week and working hard every day of the week to prepare for the trip.  I am glad to hear that the gentle walks were generally flat.  I don't believe he could possibly do the more strenuous hikes, and depending upon how far the gentle walks go and how long you're on your feet, they could be a challenge for him as well.  I'm also concerned about the pace.  I'm hoping it's more meandering with stopping to see things than power walking.  He would have a hard time keeping up if that were the case.

• Like 1

Kayaking on Silver Galapagos is just kayaking. It does not involve any snorkeling. Snorkeling is either “deep water” which is off the zodiacs or beach. The deep sea requires physical strength to get into the zodiac. Beach is much easier. The hikes are either dry or wet landings. Wet being physically harder to enter and exit zodiac. Some hikes are very challenging as far as jumping from rock to rock( marine iguana island). Sorry I don’t remember the name. The day before briefings are very detailed . You may not be able to do everything but I must say that the beach snorkeling was my favorite.

Thanks Sugar!  I did watch a video that showed someone exiting the water into the Zodiac up what looked like a 3-step swim ladder thrown over the side.  Is that what you experienced?  Do the crew members at least offer a hand up?  Not to fully lift you out of the water, but to give you a bit of a boost and help you keep your balance?  If they do that, then I think he'll be fine.  All on his own, perhaps not.  He is definitely not going to be jumping from rock to rock any time soon.  I think the beach snorkeling will be the thing he likes most as well.  It will certainly be the easiest for him!

I don’t want to be discouraging, but I am a very fit senior, yet I struggled getting into the zodiacs at wet landings. This was because I am vertically challenged (5 ft tall). There isn’t a lot of assistance that I observed, but then I never asked or saw anyone else being assisted. There are some easy landings and the overall experience was terrific. If you decide to do this trip you will just have to determine from the briefings which landings will work.

I understand.  He's about 5'10".  I'm curious as to why being shorter made the wet landings more challenging. Is it because the water was deep enough that you couldn't stand on the bottom with your head above water when you were trying to get in?  From a video I saw I was thinking that there were times when you got into the Zodiacs when they were in deep water and you had to swim up, grab the ladder and climb on.  Is that wrong?  On every other cruise (I've never been on an explorer or expedition cruise before) I've ever been on, some crew member always grabs your arm whenever you are entering or exiting a tender or a gangway.  I just assumed that they would be equally solicitous here.  If that's not the case, I'm glad to find that our now!  

There is no question that some of the hikes and other activities will be beyond what he can do.  I'm counting on the evening briefings being explicit and asking a lot of questions if we have doubts.  As long as he can do enough to make the trip worthwhile, then it's all good.  If he can even do half the excursions, I think he'll be very happy.  Neither he nor I want to be in a situation where he is a burden to others on the cruise, which is why we're asking so many questions right now.  Thanks!

• Like 1

You are correct about the deep water snorkeling having a chain ladder. This still required some upper body strength to pull yourself up and over the large rounded sides of the zodiac. No ladders are used on beach (wet) landings. This is where I had trouble because I was standing in water up to my knees and had to hop up and land my rear on the edge of the zodiac. Not easy for shorties. There was one crew member driving the boat and a guide on each zodiac. The crew member usually held the boat from moving in wet landings .I never saw any guides helping people. I would certainly call and ask Silversea how much assistance is available.

There are several zodiac outings that involve just riding in the zodiacs observing. These begin and end at the ship,s platform where crew members do assist passengers in and out of the zodiacs. I think if you decide to go, that you will find plenty to see and learn. The Galápagos Islands are fascinating.

He is getting stronger every day.  I think he'll find enough to do to make it worthwhile for him.  And getting in shape for this cruise has been invaluable as a goal to motivate him to work hard with his physical therapy.  At the rate that he is improving, I think he will be fine.  Thanks again for the information!

Hi nynewfies, you will really enjoy your Silver Galapagos expedition.

We are just back from Sep 07-14th Baltra to  San Cristobal, A itinerary.

Shore snorkelling is ok but I did find the water cool at 68 degrees, dry cooler season.

The kayaking has you get in 2 person kayak off the Zodiac, the guide and driver hold the kayak to the side of zodiac, legs in while holding rope and slide down into kayak. The kayak is quite stable in the seas. You keep back from shore so  waves do not take you too close to shore.

The expedition is busy and up early, breakfast and off on excursion, can be 1.5 to 2.5 hrs long.

Wet landings usually go off side of zodiac in a few inches to a foot of water depends on wave action.

The food is great with lots of varied sea food, we did the Grill with cook your own on hot stone, it was cool and windy, blankets and bib provided! Lots of fun.

The guides, naturalists are so very knowledgeable and the Fauna are right in front of you. We were told to keep 2 yards from wildlife, but they do not follow the Rule. A DVD of video and still pictures is given to all.

We just finished mounting 6 photos we took as great memories of the birds, sea lions, tortises, and iguanas.  

You have so much to look forward to and will be overjoyed. 

Thanks so much gui218!  We are really looking forward to it!  Did you ever wear shorts or was it always too cool?  Did you find the shorty wetsuits that they provide enough to keep you comfortable when you're snorkeling?  It really is a bucket list trip and we are so excited!

We have done this trip twice.  The wet landings can be challenging.  I am very fit and had no trouble but there is no ladder or anything else to help you get into the zodiac when on land.    You have to hoist yourself up onto the side of it and swing around.  Getting off  and on the ship onto the zodiac is easy as there is a good ladder there.  

My husband did the snorkeling.  He preferred off of a zodiac in deep water, but you would have to be able to get on/off the zodiac in water with no ladder.  I would not be able to manage that even though I work out every day.  From the beach is easy, but not as much to see.  We did not kayak as there was just so much more to do.

some hikes are totally flat, but others are definitely not. You need to go to the briefing the night before and figure out what will work for you.

Our trip on Silver Galapagos was 3 years ago in Nov. When we did the deep water snorkeling I thought there was a chain with one step thing put over the side but could be wrong since my husband and I didn’t go into the water because it was so cold. I do recall people entering the zodiac on both sides.  The beach snorkeling waters were much warmer and yes the shorty wetsuits were adequate . We just can’t take “cold”.

It hasn’t been mentioned but please be aware that there is so much more to this trip than the “water activities”. Seeing so many and different types of Galapagos tortoises and hearing their amazing history is worth the trip alone. The movies and talks on the ship are excellent. Snorkeling is a small part of this one of a kind trip. Hope you go and be sure and write a review when you return.

I wore lightweight roll-up hiking pants rather than shorts most of the time. They need to roll-up above the knee for the wet landings. The sun was hot and intense. I wore lightweight hiking tops that covered my neck, shoulders and most of my arms to prevent sunburns. I had 2 pairs of shoes. Teva water sandals for the wet landings, and lightweight, waterproof hiking shoes to change into on land. Plus a hat for the sun with a strap so it doesn't fall off on the zodiac rides.

Nynewfies is so ready for the Nov expedition.

We wore shorts for all the wet landings, first on was on first full day in morning, lots of photo opportunities of birds.

I found shorty wet suit cool in September, cooler than nov as Rachel G and sugar 333 note.

Shorts on other days also as 2 shore excursions per day, and zodiac was extra and 2 opportunities, snorkelling also extra and some days 2 more opportunities.

A beach day with bathing suits and white sandy beach, had sea lions and a sea lion pup, a few days old.

The sun came and clouded over but I noted back of my legs pink on calf from walking. Changed to tan.

A wide brimmed hat with string/strap under the chin is a must, re sun and wind, Windy on zodiacs.

If I can figure how to attach pictures I will try to post some.

Anticipation is almost as much fun as the trip. No the trip is way better. 

We were on a different ship about 10 years ago and here is a photo of a wet landing. 

We snorkeled  without a wetsuit in February and only one spot did it feel cold.  I had worried about how I would get into the zodiac - had visions of being towed back to the ship - but I was strong enough to get onto the ladder and the crew pulled you into the zodiac. Nothing elegant!

Hope this photo works. It’s from our blog. I tried posting a copy of the wet landing photo but it won’t do it so I’m sorry you get the blog page. 

http://www.thefletchers.com.au/The_Fletchers/South_America_2009/Entries/2009/2/9_GALAPAGOS_-_HOW_DO_PEOPLE_COPE.html

Alithecat, gui218 and jillyf - thanks so much for the information!  We are getting more excited by the day!!  Except for the fact that he will need every day beforehand to keep working on his conditioning, I wish we were going tomorrow!  He has been through the ringer, and this trip has been the goal that has kept him focused and working.  I am sure it will be worth all of the effort he is putting in and it will be an unforgettable experience!