Cruise Critic Community
Krazyfuntimes

Travel agent blocks Royal Up question

47 minutes ago, ATG said:

We book with the big box TA.  I book the cabin I want and get a substantial cash card or check after the cruise.  Would I like to be able to bid for an upgrade?  Of course, but for me “a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush”.  For the slim chance I could get a bid accepted at a reasonable cost, I will take the guaranteed cash.  JMHO.

Don't forget the 2% cash back for the year, mine should be a good amount this year!

13 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

But there is.  I have received numerous repeated calls from clients who have received the offers.

What should I do?

How high should I bid. And on and on.  The newer  the cruiser the more questions.

Lots of clients and very few bids that get accepted and those that are more often than not are very low in $ value...moving from an inside to an OV etc.lead to a lot of time on the phone with little payback. 

In the event a bid is accepted.

THE UPSIDE

Added commission paid to the agency from the cruise line.

THE DOWNSIDE

The booking has to be re-invoiced. The commission from the cruise line doesn't automatically or magically appear in the mail or the ACH bank deposit.  If a new invoice is not generated matching the added cruise line commission and there is a discrepancy needing to be reconciled, no additional commission gets paid out.

So, Royal Up excludes your cabin/location (must be based on some algorithm), your travel agent wont help you upgrade, right? And dealing with RC directly to upgrade your cabin has not been successful? I would certainly not use thstvtravel agent again. 

23 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I agree, that is something your travel agent should clearly disclose.

Bob,

Are we allowed to ask which TA this is?

Thanks

Alan

Just now, AlanF65 said:

Bob,

Are we allowed to ask which TA this is?

Thanks

Alan

Nope, it's against forum rules to mention specific travel agent names.

25 minutes ago, ForeignQueen said:

So, Royal Up excludes your cabin/location (must be based on some algorithm), your travel agent wont help you upgrade, right? And dealing with RC directly to upgrade your cabin has not been successful? I would certainly not use thstvtravel agent again. 

Any booking with a travel agent requires you to work through that agency, not directly with the cruise line.  Of course you can upgrade your cabin, all it takes is a phone call.  The only thing you lose is the Royal Up ability.  Other than that it is just like any other travel agency.  

Each person must make up their own mind what is most important to them.  

I’d rather get the onboard credit or store gift cards then worry about being able to bid on an upgrade that I may or may not get. I’m happy with the cabin I reserved.