Perks for Top Suite Passengers on Seabourn

Cliosophic

I have booked the Wintergarden Suite on a 20 day Seabourn Ovation itinerary, my first experience with Seabourn.   On other ships where I have taken the top suite (e.g., Regent Suite on Explorer, Q1 grade on QM2, Crystal Penthouse w/verandah on Crystal, etc.) I have found that, while the hard product is impressive, a significant part of the value comes from the perks extended to top suite passengers (no standing in lines, private tours, guaranteed restaurant reservations, etc.).   I can't find anything from Seabourn indicating what, if any, special treatment is extended to the Wintergarden or other top suite passengers.   Can someone who has sailed in Wintergarden or other top suites share their experience?  Many thanks.

Seabourn generally doesn't operate a class system on its ships. I appreciate that very much. 

In my experience when I've been in the WG suite there have been very few perks along the lines of the ones you've mentioned, which is fine by me.

There's usually  an invitation to a private bridge tour, galley ditto. The Guest Services Manager or HD will greet you at check in and then will visit the suite when you embark to ensure that all is good and if you need anything additionally. The officers and crew do tend to know your name very early in the cruise. It usually takes them a couple of days when I'm in a veranda suite.

I can't recall anything else except the differences mentioned on the SB website.

47 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

Seabourn generally doesn't operate a class system on its ships. I appreciate that very much. 

In my experience when I've been in the WG suite there have been very few perks along the lines of the ones you've mentioned, which is fine by me.

There's usually  an invitation to a private bridge tour, galley ditto. The Guest Services Manager or HD will greet you at check in and then will visit the suite when you embark to ensure that all is good and if you need anything additionally. The officers and crew do tend to know your name very early in the cruise. It usually takes them a couple of days when I'm in a veranda suite.

I can't recall anything else except the differences mentioned on the SB website.

I think the fact that Seabourn does NOT have a class system makes it very attractive to many of us.  One of my friends sails on Crystal, and when I expressed some interest in trying that line, she told me that if we did sail Crystal, we would HAVE to choose a Penthouse suite for the extra amenities--among them---that on any excursions, you would only be with other Penthouse dwellers.  I found that a bit off-putting.  I have no interest in stratification or acknowledgment of money spent.  

• Like 1

I obviously think differently from many others on here - but each to their own !

We pay for first class on the plane. We not only receive a suite instead of a seat but also better service - that is what we pay for. Everyone has a choice what they book.

We pay for the Wintergarden Suite - our choice to pay approx 5 times more at times than the cost of a verandah cabin. We receive exceptional service, the Captain and the Hotel Director individually dine with us and although we did not wish to dine in TK - we were told/ asked if we wished to dine there most nights. 

I think it would be naive of any company to believe everyone is willing to pay five times the price merely for some extra space. On the other hand no one is suggesting anyone only wishes to mingle with other guests in suites !!

If someone chooses to pay for a Wintergarden suite and expects nothing more - that is up to them. If others sailing in Seabourn in verandah cabins truly believe everyone is treated the same - I can only say from my experience on many Seabourn cruises - that is not true !

14 minutes ago, Jane21 said:

I obviously think differently from many others on here - but each to their own !

We pay for first class on the plane. We not only receive a suite instead of a seat but also better service - that is what we pay for. Everyone has a choice what they book.

We pay for the Wintergarden Suite - our choice to pay approx 5 times more at times than the cost of a verandah cabin. We receive exceptional service, the Captain and the Hotel Director individually dine with us and although we did not wish to dine in TK - we were told/ asked if we wished to dine there most nights. 

I think it would be naive of any company to believe everyone is willing to pay five times the price merely for some extra space. On the other hand no one is suggesting anyone only wishes to mingle with other guests in suites !!

If someone chooses to pay for a Wintergarden suite and expects nothing more - that is up to them. If others sailing in Seabourn in verandah cabins truly believe everyone is treated the same - I can only say from my experience on many Seabourn cruises - that is not true !

It's been four years since I was last in the WG so I didn't comment about tables in TK Grill because it wasn't there in September 2015. I did wonder about how it's managed. I don't recall any conversations about getting favourable treatment for R2. 

I think the point here is that Seabourn isn't blatantly 'classist'. It's similar to when one is a 'segmenter' on a world cruise. I was fully aware that the full world cruise guests would of course be enjoying some benefits not offered to those of us doing a segment but it was done discreetly and at no point during that cruise was I made to feel 'less than'.  

Of course, other's experience may be different. 

Edited by Isklaar
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

It's been four years since I was last in the WG so I didn't comment about tables in TK Grill because it wasn't there in September 2015. I did wonder about how it's managed. I don't recall any conversation at the time about getting favourable treatment for R2. 

I think the point here is that Seabourn isn't blatantly 'classist'. It's similar to when one is a 'segmenter' on a world cruise. I was fully aware that the full world cruise guests would of course be enjoying some benefits not offered to those of us doing a segment but it was done discreetly and at no point during that cruise was I made to feel 'less than'.  

Of course, others experience may be different. 

I see this the way Isklaar sees it.  The perks that SB offers to the upper echelon of suites are offered discreetly.  For those of us who could well afford to be in those suites, but choose not to, we do enjoy a cruise line that appears to treat everyone the same. It is pleasant.   A dinner here and there with the captain, or special flowers, time at The Retreat, extra TK Grill reservations---have at it--as it does not affect our experience on the same cruise line.  

I've only cruised on Silver Sea and Seabourn, but can say that the experience is seamless.  

To further summarize, part of what Seabourn is selling is luxury and great service for EVERY passenger, not just for those in the most expensive suites. 

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

We book SS or OW.  The few perks other than a fabulous room come in the form of transfers from hotel, laundry, and internet.  On Seabourn there are rarely lines for anyyhing, except at 7pm at the Restaurant.  Even then it might be 5 minutes. TK nights at the Colonnade and The Grill require reservations. Quite easy to get, although you should book The Grill online before the cruise. Free private tours, not available. The excursion team works well to find the right tour for you. Occasionally a few people in the queue. Grab a coffee and relax.   Like the other posts, I too like the egalitarian approach. In general everyone is gracious and civilized. It's a small ship, no need for minor class divide.

You should check with your TA to see what perks they might provide you for booking a pricy suite.

• Like 1

If you start with the premise that everyone is a first class passenger on Seabourn (unlike on an airplane) then what you are paying extra for if you choose The Wintergarden or any premium suite is the space. If that is not acceptable why not choose one of those verandah suites that seem so much more affordable?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Isklaar said:

Free drinks? nobody told me about that... 😉

They're not really free.  The truth is, I just always sneak away from the bar when the bar tender isn't looking.  I leave before the check arrives so somebody must always be paying my bar tab.   Please promise to keep my secret.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Hold on to your hat.....but shhhhh, don't tell anyone. Free caviar.

I can't stand caviar! What can I get instead? More drinks perhaps?

Oh and before anyone points out that the drinks are not 'free' they're 'included', I think we all realise that. We're just having a bit of fun.

Just now, Isklaar said:

I can't stand caviar! What can I get instead? More drinks perhaps?

Oh and before anyone points out that the drinks are not 'free' they're 'included', I think we all realise that. We're just having a bit of 

Perhaps I can offer you a free Seabourn beach bag to carry those drinks.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jane21 said:

I don’t care what cabin you are in on Seabourn they are all first class IMHO

I’ve just decided that the word “perks” is off-putting. Is it a 1980s term that sharp marketers of credit introduced and then somehow leached into the vernacular? Yes, yes... “when the going gets tough the tough go shopping” during the 1980 US recession may well have gotten them on track with “perks”.

If you have to mention “perks” on Seabourn my message is everyone gets them relative to Regent, Crystal and Q1 Cunard. To the extent there are lines everyone stands in them. You want reservations and tours? Sign up like everyone else.

If you want to talk about airlines, Seabourn has a loyalty program where you earn benefits including free cruises after lots of cruises. PH and above earn more points faster. So that is customary; just keep sailing.

Seabourn started with 200 passenger ships and an egalitarian Scandinavian style which was very appealing. Now two of their ships have deviated a bit with this nonsense $350/couple per day Retreat where you can retreat from hoi polloi. Maybe WG passengers can demand free entry as a perk? That would be consistent in the world of perks.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, markham said:

Seabourn started with 200 passenger ships and an egalitarian Scandinavian style which was very appealing. 

Happy and healthy sailing!

I agree with everything that Markham has said, and am pleased to see his use of "egalitarian Scandinavian style" here. I wanted to use a similar phrase in my initial post, but if I had I could be accused of bias. Naturally for me, that style is exactly what I like about SB and this is the reason why I have found the concept of The Retreat so jarring.  

Edited by Isklaar
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Jane21 said:

Wow - LOL Don't sugarcoat it. Tell us how you really feel about us po-folk down in the cheap suites.

SB should at least give you guys a hat that says: "Winter Garden Suite Guest or Penthouse Suite - Move Aside".  That will help the 90% of us second class passengers recognize royalty and make way so you can pass.  I miss Leona Helmsley.

Sorry to my fellow SB passengers for the snarky reply. I've mingled with countless penthouse passengers on my 14+ SB cruises and they've been only kind and gracious despite being wealthy enough to pay 5x for a suite.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well I've sailed in an Owners Suite and in a Verandah suite and there was no noticeable difference in the way I was treated in either. 

No obvious extra dinners with officers etc.  In fact, we only had 1 hosted dinner  when we were Owners vs every few nights in a Verandah.  

Sometimes people think they are getting a better offer because they paid more but in reality it's been loyalty or membership level that is providing the perks.

I've never experienced "classism" on SB and hope I never do.

• Like 4

If you did not pay for full purchase price for the suite, and few would,, you don’t even receive those few perks.    We found the perks with the Spa Suite to be better than the owners suite.   Our stewardess always had some wonderful surprise for us in the cabin. One evening she had the tub all set up with roses and special spa products.   We have another booked for an April cruise but since we didn’t pay the full brochure price we won’t get extra points even though we are paying substantially more than those in the regular veranda.

23 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

If you did not pay for full purchase price for the suite, and few would,, you don’t even receive those few perks.    We found the perks with the Spa Suite to be better than the owners suite.   Our stewardess always had some wonderful surprise for us in the cabin. One evening she had the tub all set up with roses and special spa products.   We have another booked for an April cruise but since we didn’t pay the full brochure price we won’t get extra points even though we are paying substantially more than those in the regular veranda.

Can I ask what you mean by not paying full brochure price and thus not receiving extra points? People say don’t get extra points if do an upsell, but assume you are not talking about an upsell as you say your cruise is only on April.

We have been in a Penthouse suite or higher on all three of our past Seabourn cruises.  We should have received two point a night for 35 nights.   I asked Seabourn and they stated that since we didn’t pay the original brochure price, we only receive one point.

I was hoping to get some laundry on our next cruise in April but you only get laundry with 70, not 35 points.