Pre cruise in Southampton - Do taxis accept US credit cards?

MCC retired

Yes - we used taxi in Jun getting off QM2. We have never had trouble using our US credit card, except where you have to pay for toilets, as long as we’ve advised our credit card company on travel plans. 

Edited by cruzzzinma

Was on a cruise and a few days in Southampton then Winchester. They took credit cards for everything except one taxi from Downton  Abbey castle back to Winchester. Ask before you get in the cab. Smiths took cc from airport and back. Even bought ice cream cones. 

There's also Uber, which works well if you're accustomed to hailing a cab with an app.

The only place we ran into a minor issue was a pay-and-display car park. You could pay via an app but it took several minutes to download the app on my phones included (slow) overseas cellular data.

3 hours ago, cruzzzinma said:

Yes - we used taxi in Jun getting off QM2. We have never had trouble using our US credit card, except where you have to pay for toilets, as long as we’ve advised our credit card company on travel plans. 

Excellent reminder. Notify your credit card issuers of your travel plans including the countries you will be visiting. The last thing you want is for your credit card to get shut down while you are abroad. Also keep a written copy of your card number and the phone number for out of country customer service. I make it a point of inverting one set of four digits so that if the copy is found the number will not work. You might also note that you dial 001 and the US area code for calling 'home'. 

15 hours ago, Underwatr said:

There's also Uber, which works well if you're accustomed to hailing a cab with an app.

The only place we ran into a minor issue was a pay-and-display car park. You could pay via an app but it took several minutes to download the app on my phones included (slow) overseas cellular data.

I was going to suggest Uber. They were super efficient on our last cruise and cost half the price of a normal taxi (£6 instead of £12 which includes tips).