Do you use a lanyard?

nyc2pdx

If so, in a case at the end of the lanyard or does it come with a hole punched?   If you use something else, what do you do?  

Used to use a hole punch but heard that now, on some of the newer ships, you can't punch a hole as the card won't work for getting into your cabin?[emoji848] Hopefully, someone will clarify which ships if any.[emoji6] 

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, *Luv2Cruz* said:

Used to use a hole punch but heard that now, on some of the newer ships, you can't punch a hole as the card won't work for getting into your cabin?emoji848.png Hopefully, someone will clarify which ships if any.emoji6.png 

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thats what I want to know too.  Interesting fact....I was born in Newburgh, NY at St. Lukes, grew up in Cornwall on Hudson.  :)

18 minutes ago, *Luv2Cruz* said:

• Like 1

Never used a lanyard, always in a pocket or used as a bookmark.  Not a big deal.  Be sure that if you use the pocket type lanyard  you can get the card out easily in case the Maitre d' or Hostess needs to swipe your card, your barman needs to swipe your card, you get swiped off the ship and back on in every port....etc

• Like 3

I have a "retractable badge reel with ID Card badge holder." See image below. You can find these at most any store. It's cool. I clip it on my purse or belt and you simply unhook the card when you need to.

I've always had my key card punched by NCL personnel, either when checking in, or at Guest Services.

BTW, word of caution. However you carry your card around, DO NOT put it near any electronics devices, or you'll be headed down to Guest Services to get a new card 'cause yours doesn't work anymore.

Have a fab cruise!

881413008_keycard.png.bc41823c20730a470da7aaef7135bae1.png

I used a lanyard, but moved to a wristband a few cruises ago. As a female I'm often wearing clothes that don't have pockets. I find the wristband gets in the way less. I also much prefer it when I'm in the water and don't get weird tan lines.

1 hour ago, *Luv2Cruz* said:

Used to use a hole punch but heard that now, on some of the newer ships, you can't punch a hole as the card won't work for getting into your cabin?emoji848.png Hopefully, someone will clarify which ships if any.

Bliss & Joy use RFID so you can't punch them. Undoubtedly Encore will too. (I don't believe they are retrofitting ships as they go to dry dock.) Some say if you hold it up to a strong enough light you can see where the antenna is and punch where it's not (but no NCL employee will so you'd need to bring your own hole punch). I just bought these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6YTKM8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and attached to my lanyard. I only had to take it out at the dining venues and getting on/off the ship (sometimes). All the bars and your door have RFID readers. 

I did see on another thread somewhere on CC that they bought hang tags instead https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjm09vm187kAhULhMgKHVXSDUoYABAJGgJxdQ&sig=AOD64_1ArHlOTD43C9fwC09zsqUMdgytaw&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwi52tDm187kAhUDXawKHTrRBBAQ9aACCEQ&adurl= and that seems like a good idea too. 

I'm female, so I use a wristlet for the entire cruise. I leave my purse in the room and lock my wallet, passports, etc. in the safe. The wristlet is small, and I can also put my phone and ID in there. Fits easily in the beach bag I use in ports.

This is what I use:

https://www.verabradley.com/us/product/Iconic-RFID-Front-Zip-Wristlet/22899-22899N13?cm_mmc=pla-_-gs-_-180201-_-shopping-accessories&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxd22tt7O5AIVB4TICh1HygWhEAQYBCABEgLHIfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

31 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I used a lanyard, but moved to a wristband a few cruises ago. As a female I'm often wearing clothes that don't have pockets. I find the wristband gets in the way less. I also much prefer it when I'm in the water and don't get weird tan lines.

Bliss & Joy use RFID so you can't punch them. Undoubtedly Encore will too. (I don't believe they are retrofitting ships as they go to dry dock.) Some say if you hold it up to a strong enough light you can see where the antenna is and punch where it's not (but no NCL employee will so you'd need to bring your own hole punch). I just bought these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6YTKM8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and attached to my lanyard. I only had to take it out at the dining venues and getting on/off the ship (sometimes). All the bars and your door have RFID readers. 

I did see on another thread somewhere on CC that they bought hang tags instead https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjm09vm187kAhULhMgKHVXSDUoYABAJGgJxdQ&sig=AOD64_1ArHlOTD43C9fwC09zsqUMdgytaw&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwi52tDm187kAhUDXawKHTrRBBAQ9aACCEQ&adurl= and that seems like a good idea too. 

Good to know they have RFID, so I would not be pulling it out every 5 mins.  Thanks for the comments!

I use a lanyard, but I have had some newer ships (both NCL and Princess) refuse to punch holes recently. They say it can affect the card functionality. I like using a lanyard and don’t always have pockets. Most ships now sell the lanyards with the plastic pocket attached. I don’t care for the pocket. I recently bought a lanyard with a zipper pocket attached, but I haven’t used it yet. 

The newer ships use RFID/Proximity cards for the stateroom doors. These cards have electronics in the card and should not be punched. 

If you have a lanyard, it should have a breakaway clasp (and not a solid piece of fabric). Solid lanyards are strangulation hazards if you were to get it caught. 

We had a CC Meet & Greet, and they gave us all NCL Breakaway Lanyards, that had a breakaway (no pun intended) clip 3/4 the way down, which was fantastic!  Someone actually had brought a hole puncher to the M&G, which was a GREAT idea! Otherwise, I heard the guest services desk has them as well.  As long as you don't punch over the magnetic strip, or any of the pertinent info on the card, you'll be fine.  Bottom line, they sell them on the ship, if you need.

2 hours ago, cottagers2000 said:

A sensible way to keep hold of a plastic card. It rather amuses me to see passengers with the card around their necks like a young child

Be amused if you want to be. However, if I have any card with any type of encoded strip or chip held in close contact with my body (such as a breast or pants pocket) or hold the card in my hand for more than a few minutes, the card will not be functional when I go to use it.

A lanyard keeps the card accessible and rests the card on top of my clothing without it being held in a closer contact of a pocket. The lanyard doesn't prevent me from having to have my card replaced at some point, just makes the interval longer.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I just put the card in my pocket.

That is what we do; but, I learned a lesson on a cruise where I went golfing and purchased a divot tool that had a magnet on it. I put it in the same pocket as my key card. When I went to get back on the ship it seems that the magnet had erased all of my information. OOOPS. Lesson learned.

8 hours ago, cottagers2000 said:

A sensible way to keep hold of a plastic card. It rather amuses me to see passengers with the card around their necks like a young child

Yea, if you have pockets. Do you feel that way when you see office/hospital professionals with lanyards? Everyone wears them; they have nothing to do with being children.

Edited by KateQ22003
  • Like 1

I buy these little crossbody bags.  They have a small zipper pocket in the front that's the perfect size for getting your card out fast and are just big enough for my cell phone and a couple of other items.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07191RXQM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1