Negotiate upgrade offer

Carla3

I just received email offer To upgrade to a full suite from a Mini suite, but the price is an additional $1500 per person! That too rich for me. I was just curious if anyone has any success negotiating a better price? Should I call and attempt?

Edited by Carla3

Just now, Colo Cruiser said:

For us the suite upsell price is the price. They would not budge.

How long is the cruise?

Have you looked at the regular price of a suite for your cruise prior?

If you compare the upsell is a bargain.

10 day cruise. It would be only  a 17% discount from regular fare. So not a great discount 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carla3 said:

10 day cruise. It would be only  a 17% discount from regular fare. So not a great discount 

That is a lot for a 10 day cruise we usually pay less than that for 15 day upsells. Of course by now someone has probably taken it

14 minutes ago, Carla3 said:

I just received email offer To upgrade to a full suite from a Mini suite, but the price is an additional $1500 per person! That too rich for me. I was just curious if anyone has any success negotiating a better price? Should I call and attempt?

sure, why not ... if you get a call back, let them know you are very interested , just not at that price point

There are literally hundreds of people booked into Mini-Suites on your cruise and they aren't going to negotiate the price down until they have gotten a firm "no" from each and every one of them, and that isn't likely to happen.  Also, Princess is well aware that sites like this exist, and that the minute they accept a counter-proposal, the person who successfully negotiated is going to post their success here, and then everyone is going to try to do that, and frankly, they'd rather give someone a free upgrade on their honeymoon or anniversary then deal with the headache of having every person they phone tell the agent: "But I know you negotiate these things.  I read it on Cruise Critic!"  In the long run, getting into a bidding war is not a winning strategy for them, or their agents.  All that said, it cannot hurt to tell them what you would be willing to pay, and keep your number on file in the event they want to call back sometime.  Just know that the odds of them calling back are slim.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 6

You have to weigh what the right price is vs what you think they will buckle to... 17 percent is them taking a hit but not much if they know thye can fill your current stateroom.

They arent blinking they realize suites are highly sought after in certain cruise ships. they spend millions on studies and researching the numbers from all there ships and itineraries. 

If you think thye dont they have already beat you in negotiations. Think of it as who currently holds the leverage. Now if you stare them down you might get them to blink.. but then again 17 percent might be enough for another traveler... I cant see you actually winning in this case. 

Princess tried to SELL us a more expensive cabin once.

When we called, and it wasn't a good deal, we were told that they were basically there to make the offers, and it was take it or leave it.  No guarantee that you would get the call if they decided to offer the upsell at a lessor price.

We declined.

I believe they referred us to call the regular Princess numbers if we wanted to try to make any changes to our cabin.