Harmony of the Seas a good fit for us?

uncleg

OK, My parents both in the their mid 70's promised my niece that they would take her and a friend on a cruise in 2020 as a graduation present.  I will also be going single man early 50's.  There may be others my brother and his wife(early 50s), a 2 nephews and their wives and another niece and her husband (mid to early 30s) but they have not confirmed yet.

Anyway we are looking at the Harmony of the Seas 5 day Western Caribbean, we have never sailed with Royal Caribbean, I have sailed 13 times with Carnival and have watched  it steadily go down, My Parents have cruised Carnival, Princess, Holland America ect.  Will this ship be a good fit for our age groups, we are are all very active people and also just enjoy a day longing pool or beach side and live music.  The main concern is the two 17 year olds , will there be lots for them  to do?

1 hour ago, uncleg said:

OK, My parents both in the their mid 70's promised my niece that they would take her and a friend on a cruise in 2020 as a graduation present.  I will also be going single man early 50's.  There may be others my brother and his wife(early 50s), a 2 nephews and their wives and another niece and her husband (mid to early 30s) but they have not confirmed yet.

Anyway we are looking at the Harmony of the Seas 5 day Western Caribbean, we have never sailed with Royal Caribbean, I have sailed 13 times with Carnival and have watched  it steadily go down, My Parents have cruised Carnival, Princess, Holland America ect.  Will this ship be a good fit for our age groups, we are are all very active people and also just enjoy a day longing pool or beach side and live music.  The main concern is the two 17 year olds , will there be lots for them  to do?

When is there a 5 day. Harmony generally sails 7 day trips

• Like 1

I agree with the above posters.  I just want to add that unlike smaller RCI ships, you will want to make reservations for everything (shows, my time dining, escape room, etc).  The people that seemed the least happy on the ship were the people unwilling to plan or use the app.  

We ate with a couple of Carnival Platinum cruisers.  I asked them what they found the most different.  They said that the cruise director wasn't making an announcement every 5 minutes!   I think our cruise director was on the loudspeaker maybe 3 times on the cruise.  They also claimed the steak on Carnival was better, but the desserts and buffet on RCI were better.  

Ohhh yeah most importantly, KEEP YOUR ELBOWS IN when doing the Ultimate Abyss.  

Edited by zepp914
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We picked the Harmony for our extended family group - ages 24-84.  This will be my immediate family's first RCCL cruise.  Critics think of the large RCCL ships as good choices for the younger teen early 20-something set because of all the activities.  My parents in their 80s did the Oasis (similar RCCL) mega ship and loved it, making me think it is a good choice for older cruisers too (It was their second favorite cruise ever -- They love MSC because of the classical music and one of those cruises that had classical musical student from Italy doing tons of entertainment is #1 for them).  MSC though does not appeal as much to the rest of our extended family.  Regarding the mega RCCL ship, they said the Oasis didn't feel crowded due to the great ship design, and the Harmony is quite similar.

In general my parents who have traveled on numerous lines say cruising different mainstream lines is more similar than different, so chances are if you liked one mainstream line you will probably like another one too.

Oasis class is amazing for all ages.  You have things like zipline, flowrider, mini golf, rock wall, abyss, then standard cruise things like pools and fun activities going on during the day.  Haven't been on Harmony yet, but from Symphony and Allure, they are fun to explore, have amazing shows and tons of food options.  In evening, also tons going on from music, to game shows to regular shows, etc etc.  Good for active or just relaxing or can do both.  

I was just on Harmony a couple of weeks ago. It’s now my favorite RCCL ship. Best food in the dining room of any ship I’ve ever been on. The ice show and aqua theater shows were excellent. The cruise director was, however, making constant announcements.

1 hour ago, Artemus said:

I was just on Harmony a couple of weeks ago. It’s now my favorite RCCL ship. Best food in the dining room of any ship I’ve ever been on. The ice show and aqua theater shows were excellent. The cruise director was, however, making constant announcements.

Marc Walker should be back soon

My husband is 75 and I am 62.  We LOVE the Oasis Class ships because there is so much to do or nothing to do, it is your choice.  We love the production shows, ice shows, aqua theater shows, etc.  Ton and tons of things to do on the ship if you so desire.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

LOL, I made a mistake.   I have been looking at- day cruises and some  4-5 day cruises and some 7 day cruises.  That's why I asked up Harmony of the seas.  I should have asked about Mariner and Independence of the seas.   Its been about 3 years since my last cruise, I am really off my game.

On 9/14/2019 at 11:12 AM, CruisingJoe09 said:

2 more weeks until Marc is back. Dennis was fine although Marc is easily one of the best out there.

Could not agree more! we had Marc on an Enchantment cruise a few years ago, and honestly he is the ONLY thing I remember about that cruise.