Santorini Self Tour

johnlat

Hello All,

We are going to be in Santorini in a few weeks.  Our time there is from 2p-10p.  I plan on hiring a taxi to do a 5 hour (or so) tour around the island.  Wanted to see if this itinerary made sense and could be done in 5 hours without a lot of rush.

Starting from Fira
Go up to Oia
Then back down to
Santos Winery
Ancient Akrotiri
Kamari Beach
Pyrgos Castle

Back to Fira

Also I understand that the cable car closes at 9p.  Is that correct?  Any suggestions for modifications?  Is this reasonably doable? I don't want to just grind it out, but I don't have to spend hours in each stop either.  Thanks for any advice!

Johnlat

I would do it as follows:

Akrotiri

Kamari

Pyrgos

Santos

Oia

Fira

This route avoids the initial rush of passengers to Oia.  Akrotiri is at the southern tip of the island.  Oia at the north tip.  You can visit Akrotiri first.  Then you have to backtrack to near the winery to get on the road to Kamari and Pyrgos.  Kamari is the farthest, so go to Pyrgos and the winery on the way back.  Then go to Oia.  Given your times and the time of the year you will be there closest to the sunset.  Then back to Fira. 

Look at the route:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Thera+847+00,+Greece/Akrotiri,+Thira+847+00,+Greece/Kamari,+847+00,+Greece/Pyrgos+Kallistis,+847+00,+Greece/Santo+Wines,+Pyrgos+Kallistis,+Greece/Oia,+847+02,+Greece/Thera,+847+00,+Greece/@36.4156209,25.3562999,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m44!4m43!1m5!1m1!1s0x1499cdce05e3bce9:0x9f4c192bbefa1db!2m2!1d25.432447!2d36.4166485!1m5!1m1!1s0x1499cf6a6b1b1ae7:0x139d927536a9cafb!2m2!1d25.403447!2d36.3517952!1m5!1m1!1s0x1499d1dda52069c5:0xa00bd2f74c252b0!2m2!1d25.4807115!2d36.3770012!1m5!1m1!1s0x1499ce409504049f:0x503a1a252441387d!2m2!1d25.4478176!2d36.383038!1m5!1m1!1s0x1499ce5edc59b815:0x384bae06a741e978!2m2!1d25.436746!2d36.387564!1m5!1m1!1s0x1499cb8b1c44c1a9:0x400bd2ce2b9c750!2m2!1d25.3753101!2d36.4618199!1m5!1m1!1s0x1499cdce05e3bce9:0x9f4c192bbefa1db!2m2!1d25.432447!2d36.4166485!3e0?hl=en

Edited by marazul

5 hours ago, marazul said:

I would do it as follows:

Akrotiri

Kamari

Pyrgos

Santos

Oia

Fira

This route avoids the initial rush of passengers to Oia.  Akrotiri is at the southern tip of the island.  Oia at the north tip.  You can visit Akrotiri first.  Then you have to backtrack to near the winery to get on the road to Kamari and Pyrgos.  Kamari is the farthest, so go to Pyrgos and the winery on the way back.  Then go to Oia.  Given your times and the time of the year you will be there closest to the sunset.  Then back to Fira. 

Look at the route:

<snip>

Thanks I had not thought about doing it in reverse order.  This makes sense  with regards to the crowds.  There are three ships in that day, but we are get there last and leave last.  Going this route should give us plenty of time in Oia without having to battle the crowds.  Thanks Again!!!

Edited by johnlat

I would contact a local taxi company in advance and ask for their recommendations

Oia is always seen as primary attraction therefore packed with crowds

but there is so much else to see on the island-black sand beach and houses built into sandstone cliffs that many tourists miss amongst others

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on the Star the first week of November. I have been really looking forward to our Santorini stop but the more I read the more nervous and confused I become. We have a group of 18 and have a private tour with Viatour scheduled. From my understanding I thought they would be meeting us when we get off the tender. Or do we need to get to the top to meet them? There seems to be so many conflicting post. Long lines for cable cars to get back to the ship makes me worried about missing the ship! Any helpful hints? We are in port from 2 -10 pm.

19 minutes ago, #Bluesea said:

We will be on the Star the first week of November. I have been really looking forward to our Santorini stop but the more I read the more nervous and confused I become. We have a group of 18 and have a private tour with Viatour scheduled. From my understanding I thought they would be meeting us when we get off the tender. Or do we need to get to the top to meet them? There seems to be so many conflicting post. Long lines for cable cars to get back to the ship makes me worried about missing the ship! Any helpful hints? We are in port from 2 -10 pm.

Your best bet is to contact Viator and get them to tell you these details.  To the best of my knowledge, excursions booked with companies other than the cruise line need to meet up at the top of the caldera in Fira (i.e. you need to ride the cable car up and then meet your tour guide).  If you have to meet them up in Fira, then you will want specific directions of where to go to meet them.  Even if they somehow can meet you where the tender boats let you off, I would think they should be telling you the details of what to be looking for (and where).  

Be aware that Viator sells excursions.  However, they are not the company that actually DOES the excursions.  They subcontract with local tour companies all over Europe (Maybe the world??).  When you go to meet them,  you may never even see a Viator sign or indication of their presence.  So you really need to communicate with them to determine the details of who/where you are to go upon arrival.  

Alternatively, you could research Santorini-based tour companies and arrange directly with them.  One of them will likely be the same company that Viator has made your arrangements with.  

18 hours ago, #Bluesea said:

yes you will need to make your way to the top to meet the tour

the geography of the port means no vehicles can get down to where the tender drops off

the exception is the ships tours which tender to a different location along the coast where tour buses can get down to sea level

I would also check with Viator that it is truly a private tour for your group of 18

as mentioned they are a 3rd party booker so don't actually run tours themselves

I wouldn't be surprised if you found yourselves on a large 60 seater bus with other people who booked with them separately