Onboard specialty dining discounts.

Cease1955

About a month ago, we did the New England / Canada cruise aboard the Grandeur of the Seas. We initially purchased a 3 day dinner specialty restraint package and once on board the ship, the ships staff was selling 5 day dinner package which we upgraded to at a great price.  My question is thus far, on the December Australia Sailing on the Voyager of the Seas, we haven't seen any discounted specialty dining packages, except for the entire length of the cruise.  Do they have a 5 or 6 day option for the specialty dining package, or do they offer a discount package once on the ship.  Thank you for your input.

Chris Neville

Sailing December 29, 2019

P.S. never been on a cruise before over New Years. Does the crowd onboard the ship really " get into it" as the countdown commences for the new year, and are there parties all over the ship.  

On 9/14/2019 at 12:13 PM, Cease1955 said:

About a month ago, we did the New England / Canada cruise aboard the Grandeur of the Seas. We initially purchased a 3 day dinner specialty restraint package and once on board the ship, the ships staff was selling 5 day dinner package which we upgraded to at a great price.  My question is thus far, on the December Australia Sailing on the Voyager of the Seas, we haven't seen any discounted specialty dining packages, except for the entire length of the cruise.  Do they have a 5 or 6 day option for the specialty dining package, or do they offer a discount package once on the ship.  Thank you for your input.

Chris Neville

Sailing December 29, 2019

P.S. never been on a cruise before over New Years. Does the crowd onboard the ship really " get into it" as the countdown commences for the new year, and are there parties all over the ship.  

We are doing a 9 night cruise on the voyager and there’s a couple of dining packages.

we got the 3 night for $AU 86 .

We did the ultimate dining package on the Navigator last year with some friends and it was $199 AUD pp for a 10 night cruise which also had 4 lunches as well. Very much great value for money compared to what the normal prices are ($29, $35 and $45 USD for the differing restaurants) but I really felt like it was too much. The food in the MDR is good and I do not need specialty dining every night.

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We did the ultimate dining package on the Navigator last year with some friends and it was $199 AUD pp for a 10 night cruise which also had 4 lunches as well. Very much great value for money compared to what the normal prices are ($29, $35 and $45 USD for the differing restaurants) but I really felt like it was too much. The food in the MDR is good and I do not need specialty dining every night.

That’s my biggest concern is eating to much.

I hate to see wasted food.

On a kitchen tour someone asked what happens to the uneaten food.

The answer was .US standard,it has to be destroyed 3 after preparation 

Edited by Chiliburn

We didn't have wasted food, everything we ordered was eaten. I was referring to the fact we spent an extra $400 AUD when really the MDR is good and one or two nights in the specialty restaurants would have been fine and probably only cost around $100-150 AUD together.

I am thinking that if you like the specialty dining for a change and do not mind paying the extra to have it, then go for it. You may want to pre-book a dining package for a 3-5 nights for the longer cruises to break them up a bit. Alternatively, you can just see what demand is like and pick up a night out if or when they discount them through out the cruise. 

16 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I am thinking that if you like the specialty dining for a change and do not mind paying the extra to have it, then go for it. You may want to pre-book a dining package for a 3-5 nights for the longer cruises to break them up a bit. Alternatively, you can just see what demand is like and pick up a night out if or when they discount them through out the cruise. 

My current thinking is don’t get it on the NZ cruise, see how the included stuff suits us,  have a look at menus for the specialty restaurants and make a call on the longer cruises.

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Sounds like a fair approach.

I was mainly wondering if anyone who has sailed RCCL more had any reason I should depart from that plan.

Feels like a newbie having so many days booked on a new line.

The last few cruises were we have visited specialty restaurants have been on RCCL.

We like them on the ship's we have been on as they do vary ship to ship.

Izumi (Japanese style), Chop's Grille (Steak house), Giovanni's (Italian), Jamie's Italian, Johhny rockets ( Burgers and such - 50's style milkbar), Seaplex Doghouse (hotdogs, burgers), Sorrento's (pizza), Sabor ( Tapas/ Mexican)

I'd suggest grabbing a discount option on the first cruise for at least one of the specialitys - I'd suggest Giovanni's unless you have a specific preference for one of the other choices. 

That will give you a better comparison to which you can see whether you want to do more on the next cruise. If so, you may for example want a larger package, which is a big commitment if you're not sure of the standard/difference. Hence why I suggest a small comparison upfront.

Personally, I don't see the value on RCL, but that's with the benefit of having tried them, so the only way to know is try for yourself.

22 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

So upcoming on RCCL

11 nights

5 nights

34 nights

in that order

thoughts on dining packages.

If you can get a special ,such as the first night done right or the 2for 1 special or even a three night package for about $25 each. It’s definitely worth it.

It’s not worth paying $50 extra for food you have already paid for in my opinion.

Wonderland  (Ovation). If fantastic  ,weird but good.

Chops (my favourite) is good,  love the wild mushroom soup and crab cakes.

Gutsy baby you could eat the mushroom soup until you fell unconscious.

Chops has a back room called Chefs table.where a chef cooks for a small group. I haven’t done it as it’s formal , I’m told it’s extremely good . It’s not included in a special 

Jamie’s don’t bother unless it’s cheap.

Giovanni’s is much better than Jamie’s 

Izumi is good ,definitely worth a go.  There’s two tiers.the restaurant and bbq or hibachi.  The bbq general isn’t included in a special.

The MDR can do off menu dishes and some are as good as the specialty restaurants.

We try to get a suite if the price is right.on the newer ships you have coastal kitchen which is for suites only.The food is fantastic but has only 2 menus . And if you’re sick of that sometimes the specialty restaurants are free or you can get it with room service for free.

So you can eat your self silly at coastal kitchen,crawl back to your cabin and order room service.

Yes $50 up per meal is a bit rude when you have already paid for food.

onboard ,especially in MDR  (while you are trying to eat your slop) they try to upsell packages that aren’t a good deal. Tell them to piss off.

Keep an eye on your cruise planner. The sales aren’t so good but usually on the American holidays there’s some good prices.

like I said,MDR ask for a off menu  (and maybe a tip to the waiter). filet steak, rib eye steak,lobster,fish .Theres a up charge .$US20 for a lobster $US10 steak but a lot cheaper than the specialty restaurants 

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I must say I got a shock at the single prices, we normally like to do the steakhouse every week or two.

we are on Radiance and Serenade if that makes any difference

We too found the cost of the RCCL quite expensive compared to Princess. We did try Chops and enjoyed it but it is much the same as Crown Grill or Stirling Steakhouse, but cost more. I agree with Chiliburn, the crab cakes at Chops are pretty damn good! But the rest of what we ordered was no better than in Princess steakhouses. So if you can get a deal, take it, but I don't know if I would bother going to Chops again unless it was a special occasion.

Leigh

9 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We too found the cost of the RCCL quite expensive compared to Princess. We did try Chops and enjoyed it but it is much the same as Crown Grill or Stirling Steakhouse, but cost more. I agree with Chiliburn, the crab cakes at Chops are pretty damn good! But the rest of what we ordered was no better than in Princess steakhouses. So if you can get a deal, take it, but I don't know if I would bother going to Chops again unless it was a special occasion.

Leigh

Did you try the wild mushroom soup?

My sister had the seafood tower last time ,we weren’t impressed. frozen seafood from America.

why can’t they use local unfrozen seafood.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Did you try the wild mushroom soup?

My sister had the seafood tower last time ,we weren’t impressed. frozen seafood from America.

why can’t they use local unfrozen seafood.

No I didn't try the mushroom soup. Sounds good though. I wanted to try the crab cakes so skipped the soup. 

Leigh

Gidday all!

DH & I had the First Night Done Right 2 for 1 deal on Explorer in March this year, paid just over NZD $55 each, so about $27.50 per speciality restaurant, around half price.

I understand you usually can't get Chops on this package, but due to there only being 3 Speciality restaurants on Explorer, we were able to book Chops for night 1.

Second restaurant was Giovannis which was fantastic!  Blue cheese ravioli, yummo!!!

Previously have purchased the 3 and 5 night packages while sailing with DS & DD.

Have been to Jamies, Chops, Izumi & Wonderland on Ovation, enjoyed them all.

My advice, try for a cruise planner special, I wouldn't be paying an additional NZD$50 per meal on top of the cruise fare.

If there isn't a special, as seems to be the case for our upcoming Voyager cruise, I am happy to wait until I board and negotiate.

Have a large group for a celebration and am hoping for a decent discount at Jamies one night.

Enjoy the MDR and Windjammer, I wont go hungry.

I am sure you will figure what works best for your style of cruising.

TraceyG😀

9 minutes ago, dandtgeddes said:

Gidday all!

DH & I had the First Night Done Right 2 for 1 deal on Explorer in March this year, paid just over NZD $55 each, so about $27.50 per speciality restaurant, around half price.

I understand you usually can't get Chops on this package, but due to there only being 3 Speciality restaurants on Explorer, we were able to book Chops for night 1.

Second restaurant was Giovannis which was fantastic!  Blue cheese ravioli, yummo!!!

Previously have purchased the 3 and 5 night packages while sailing with DS & DD.

Have been to Jamies, Chops, Izumi & Wonderland on Ovation, enjoyed them all.

My advice, try for a cruise planner special, I wouldn't be paying an additional NZD$50 per meal on top of the cruise fare.

If there isn't a special, as seems to be the case for our upcoming Voyager cruise, I am happy to wait until I board and negotiate.

Have a large group for a celebration and am hoping for a decent discount at Jamies one night.

Enjoy the MDR and Windjammer, I wont go hungry.

I am sure you will figure what works best for your style of cruising.

TraceyG😀

We’re on voyager December ,got a 3 night for $AU82.

There’s rumours Giovanni’s will be swapped for Jamie’s in the dry dock 😟😂.

But Jamie went broke.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

No I didn't try the mushroom soup. Sounds good though. I wanted to try the crab cakes so skipped the soup. 

Leigh

Come on Leigh! Are you anorexic.

you can have as many firsts as you want (we usually have 3 or 4 each )and one main and then take away a desert for a midnight snack .

They will allow a takeaway desert but no food . So we take a plastic container  and   Smuggle some crab cakes to have with a drink  after the show 

Edited by Chiliburn