Flying in for Anthem out of Cape Liberty

uncannyvalleys

Hello All,

Looking for suggestions here. Despite my cruising on Anthem last year, during which we flew directly into Newark on a redeye flight and Ubered to Cape Liberty, our travel plans are a bit different this year and need some help.

DH and I are sailing on Anthem on 1/5/2019, but flying in to JFK very early Saturday morning 1/4/2019. We were going to spent the day/night in the city, and then figure out transportation to Cape Liberty early morning on embarkation day. I know commuting/traffic can be problematic coming from NYC, but I also know there are few hotels we would want to stay at in Newark or near the port. 

Any particular location within the city worth staying in that will make the commute easier? I'm open to specific hotel suggestions; budget is approx $200/night. Is the best strategy just an Uber/Lyft on embarkation day?

Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, uncannyvalleys said:

Hello All,

Looking for suggestions here. Despite my cruising on Anthem last year, during which we flew directly into Newark on a redeye flight and Ubered to Cape Liberty, our travel plans are a bit different this year and need some help.

DH and I are sailing on Anthem on 1/5/2019, but flying in to JFK very early Saturday morning 1/4/2019. We were going to spent the day/night in the city, and then figure out transportation to Cape Liberty early morning on embarkation day. I know commuting/traffic can be problematic coming from NYC, but I also know there are few hotels we would want to stay at in Newark or near the port. 

Any particular location within the city worth staying in that will make the commute easier? I'm open to specific hotel suggestions; budget is approx $200/night. Is the best strategy just an Uber/Lyft on embarkation day?

Thanks in advance!

I would be making a cancellable reservation now.  There are lots of hotels in the $200 range or less for a Sat night in early Jan.  Look at the Marriott site for your date to see the wide choice of hotels within your budget.  I don’t see a traffic issue if you plan to leave around 9 am so that you arrive at CL between 10 and 10:30.

I cruise every Jan-Feb from CL, so I know a lot about getting there in the dead of winter.  You need to have a plan B in case of a snow event.  I am arriving by train on Jan 26 and staying at Marriott brand hotel near Penn Station.  I plan to walk or cab to the accessible PATH station at 33rd & 6th (elevator entrance  on the west side of 6th just north of 32nd) and go to Hoboken to get the accessible Hudson-Bergen light rail to 34th St Bayonne where I will get an Uber into the port.  I’ve been caught in snow events sailing from CL and trust me - you want to have a public transit plan if that happens to you.  This is an easy trip outbound after 9 am.  The trains are uncrowded and my luggage and I have always gotten a seat.

9 hours ago, 138east said:

I would be making a cancellable reservation now.  There are lots of hotels in the $200 range or less for a Sat night in early Jan.  Look at the Marriott site for your date to see the wide choice of hotels within your budget.  I don’t see a traffic issue if you plan to leave around 9 am so that you arrive at CL between 10 and 10:30.

I cruise every Jan-Feb from CL, so I know a lot about getting there in the dead of winter.  You need to have a plan B in case of a snow event.  I am arriving by train on Jan 26 and staying at Marriott brand hotel near Penn Station.  I plan to walk or cab to the accessible PATH station at 33rd & 6th (elevator entrance  on the west side of 6th just north of 32nd) and go to Hoboken to get the accessible Hudson-Bergen light rail to 34th St Bayonne where I will get an Uber into the port.  I’ve been caught in snow events sailing from CL and trust me - you want to have a public transit plan if that happens to you.  This is an easy trip outbound after 9 am.  The trains are uncrowded and my luggage and I have always gotten a seat.

This is EXTREMELY helpful- I wouldn't have thought of having public transit as plan B. Thanks so much!