GDR menu first night insignia

fb0075

We like going to a specialty on the first night because it's usually easy to get a reservation.  Or maybe I should say easiER.

As I have often said, we aren't people who want specialty reservations all that often but we have found that the first night is good.  Probably the same can be said of the last night -- we aren't the only ones who prefer to dine in our cabin on the last night so that we can concentrate on our packing to go home.

Mura

For some reason, in all of our cruises, the first night in the MDR is always confused.  It's like everyone is new and forgot to do what they did during the last cruise.  After that first night, things settle down.  Is O that way in the GDR on night 1?

1 minute ago, ricka47 said:

For some reason, in all of our cruises, the first night in the MDR is always confused.  It's like everyone is new and forgot to do what they did during the last cruise.  After that first night, things settle down.  Is O that way in the GDR on night 1?

I do not find it confused  unless they have a new  load of crew working in the GDR

The Terrace  is often a zoo on the 1st night

people are tired & just want to eat  & not change for dinner

JMO

Don't waste specialty reservations on the first night.  On our first O cruise, we went to the MDR and were met with "would you like to dine at Polo tonight?"   We ended up sharing a table with another couple who had also intended to go to the MDR and we had a lovely first night... and an extra specialty reservation.

1 hour ago, fb0075 said:

Trying to decide to go to a specialty restaurant

THANKS

Your "first" night is someone else's "next" night (particularly on Insignia during the "world cruise" months). And, the GDR menu repeat pattern on all O ships is longer than those of most other cruise lines. 

What may change on the first day of a "new"' segment are waitstaff placements, which can sometimes cause a bit of isolated confusion. Also, as aforementioned, the first (and last) night of a cruise segment may find you more flexibility in getting desired times/tables in the specialty restaurants.

My suggestion is to try to pre-select your initial reservations at your Plan A times (as it is for many folks, including us, that would be sea days    at 7pm+\-) and use first/last days for extra  reservations.

On our first Marina cruise -- October 2011 -- I tried to get a table for six in Jacques but since I didn't have the other couples' booking numbers our butler couldn't get a reservation.

So we went to the GDR ... where we were asked if we'd like to go to Jacques.

So we did ...

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

How common is it to be asked in the GDR on the first night if a specialty would be OK?

Rare! But it happens.

On many cruises people head straight to the dining reservation desk, once aboard, and make an additional reservation for that night. There are those that attempt to eat in a Specialty every night of the cruise and they are either in the line, or their Butler daily. It always amazes me to be on a 20 day cruise with only 2 Specialty Restaurants and have people trying to eat in a Specialty nightly! Some do it!

Riviera embarkation in May we were having lunch at Waves with sons and DIL's.  We were approached at the table and asked if we would like to dine in a specialty that night, table for 6.  We accepted the offer.  This was in addition to our previously booked 4 reservations.  Only time this has ever happened to us. However, we have requested additional reservations and have obtained them approximately 50% of the time.  YMMV

Katie