Visa for New Zealand?

Banjo

Just curious does NZ now require visas for tourist from USA?

I just got a email from my cruise line saying visas are required for Australia and NZ. I was in Australia and NZ last January/February and at the time we did get visas for Australia which are valid for a year-so we are good for our Australia entry but did not get one for NZ nor did they ask for one.

Next week we are scheduled for a reposition cruise from Honolulu to Sydney with stops in NZ. Do we need one for NZ?

Thanks, Banjo

I applied for and received our NZeTA within minutes yesterday.  Cost was around $30.00 .  There are lots of sites out there that will charge you to help with the application but it was very straight forward and simple on the government website.  Approval came before I could shut off the desktop computer.  I can post the link if anyone needs it.

Yes as of October of this year E-Visa is now required.

There have been about five threads on this one but I realize it is not easy to search on CC.

You can apply either on the web site or via their app.

We used the web site.

Initially they said it could take up to a couple of days and our came through in seconds.

Have your passport in front of you when you apply for each party and your credit card.

Very easy.

Keith

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We applied for ours in August and it wasn't until I got the confirmation for my husband's that I noticed their scanner misread his middle name, spelling David as Oavid.  There was a place where you could submit online to have a minor correction done (specifically mentioned typos) so I immediately did that and it's now 6 weeks later and he still hasn't received the corrected one.  We sail from Vancouver 2 weeks from today so if he doesn't get anything in the next week, I guess we have to submit for a new one and pay the fee again which chaps my butt since it was their scanner program that screwed up.  Wonder if there's a way to call their office but imagine since this new requirement starts October 1st, they're probably swamped.  ANNOYED!!

8 hours ago, zelker said:

We applied for ours in August and it wasn't until I got the confirmation for my husband's that I noticed their scanner misread his middle name, spelling David as Oavid.  There was a place where you could submit online to have a minor correction done (specifically mentioned typos) so I immediately did that and it's now 6 weeks later and he still hasn't received the corrected one.  We sail from Vancouver 2 weeks from today so if he doesn't get anything in the next week, I guess we have to submit for a new one and pay the fee again which chaps my butt since it was their scanner program that screwed up.  Wonder if there's a way to call their office but imagine since this new requirement starts October 1st, they're probably swamped.  ANNOYED!!

If you haven't already, I would suggest you check the status of your husband's NZeTA since you submitted the update.

https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz/check-status

Leigh

49 minutes ago, possum52 said:

If you haven't already, I would suggest you check the status of your husband's NZeTA since you submitted the update.

https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz/check-status

Leigh

LOL.  I found that link after I posted my original email earlier.  So actually shows a new Reference Number and expiry date of 9-23-21 which likely means it was corrected and re-issued this past Monday BUT he was supposed to get confirmation emails which he did not.  I sent emails to two different places asking and expressing the urgency that he gets something with his name on it.  Right now all I can do is print out the new Status which shows everything, including his passport number, but not his name which is a bit worrisome since we have no way to confirm the name now matches his passport.  The other option is to try calling the NZ Consulate office in California tomorrow to see if they have suggestions.  And finally, I'll call Holland America's world cruise desk to see what they have to say about whether what we have will be acceptable to board the ship... would hate to get there and have them turn him away.

12 minutes ago, zelker said:

LOL.  I found that link after I posted my original email earlier.  So actually shows a new Reference Number and expiry date of 9-23-21 which likely means it was corrected and re-issued this past Monday BUT he was supposed to get confirmation emails which he did not.  I sent emails to two different places asking and expressing the urgency that he gets something with his name on it.  Right now all I can do is print out the new Status which shows everything, including his passport number, but not his name which is a bit worrisome since we have no way to confirm the name now matches his passport.  The other option is to try calling the NZ Consulate office in California tomorrow to see if they have suggestions.  And finally, I'll call Holland America's world cruise desk to see what they have to say about whether what we have will be acceptable to board the ship... would hate to get there and have them turn him away.

I'm sure it will be fine, but for peace of mind, I'd call the NZ consulate and see what they say. They might suggest you call NZ.

Leigh

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I'm sure it will be fine, but for peace of mind, I'd call the NZ consulate and see what they say. They might suggest you call NZ.

Leigh

Thanks, Leigh.  If they suggest I call NZ, it's likely cheaper to just pay the money to start over.  BTW, Australia's process was so straightforward and you can go online, input your info, and it shows you everything on the screen, including your full name.  I know this is brand new for NZ so maybe they'll tweak it over time and make it as user friendly as OZ's.  Barb

26 minutes ago, zelker said:

Thanks, Leigh.  If they suggest I call NZ, it's likely cheaper to just pay the money to start over.  BTW, Australia's process was so straightforward and you can go online, input your info, and it shows you everything on the screen, including your full name.  I know this is brand new for NZ so maybe they'll tweak it over time and make it as user friendly as OZ's.  Barb

As you would be inputting the same passport number again, a new NZeTA may not be issued as one is already current for your husband.

You could do a free call using Facebook messenger or one of the numerous other apps available.  

Leigh

Just now, possum52 said:

As you would be inputting the same passport number again, a new NZeTA may not be issued as one is already current for your husband.

You could do a free call using Facebook messenger or one of the numerous other apps available.  

Leigh

It shows the original NZeTA # issued with the typo in August, and a new # issued what I assume is last week. 

I never thought about trying to use Messenger.  Guess I best look into that.  Thanks for the suggestion!

13 minutes ago, zelker said:

It shows the original NZeTA # issued with the typo in August, and a new # issued what I assume is last week. 

I never thought about trying to use Messenger.  Guess I best look into that.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Scrap the Messenger thought, I now don't see how it would work but there are other apps you could use. Just do a google search for your phone type - iphone or android and take it from there. Or you could use Skype perhaps.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

22 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Scrap the Messenger thought, I now don't see how it would work but there are other apps you could use. Just do a google search for your phone type - iphone or android and take it from there. Or you could use Skype perhaps.

Leigh

I think the problem is that the party I'm calling needs to be on the same format or it won't work.  will try calling US offices tomorrow and see if I get anywhere.  wish me luck!  🙏

• Like 1

14 hours ago, youwash said:

Just used the app on my iPhone and it took maybe 5 minutes. Kind of neat as you scan your passport and then take your picture. Had email response in about 15 minutes. 

Interesting....I did our NZ and Aus applications by the website yesterday and never had to submit a photo for either.  Is this just an app thing?  Don't imagine I missed a step as I received approval within minutes...

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 1:50 PM, Barwick Cruiser said:

Interesting....I did our NZ and Aus applications by the website yesterday and never had to submit a photo for either.  Is this just an app thing?  Don't imagine I missed a step as I received approval within minutes...

No photos for these visas or any special stamp on your passport. It just a number which matched electronically to your passport.

On 9/21/2019 at 2:14 AM, Keith1010 said:

Banjo, glad to hear that it all worked out.

Keith

Thanks Keith. Just returned from NZ and Australia and had no problems entering or leaving. The NZ visa I see is good for 5 years but if I return to Australia shortly (I wish) I will have to re-apply for a new one since it is only valid for a year. 

Edited by Banjo

On 10/1/2019 at 12:50 PM, Barwick Cruiser said:

The difference would be between the app on the phone,which is what I used and it takes a photo versus you used the website which doesn't do the photo. Seems both are correct just different. 

12 hours ago, Banjo said:

Thanks Keith. Just returned from NZ and Australia and had no problems entering or leaving. The NZ visa I see is good for 5 years but if I return to Australia shortly (I wish) I will have to re-apply for a new one since it is only valid for a year. 

I thought I read that the NZ visa was only good for two years...where did you see it was good for five?

11 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I thought I read that the NZ visa was only good for two years...where did you see it was good for five?

My understanding is 2 years for visitors , but the ETA for cruise line and aircraft crew is valid for multiple entries for 5 years .

• Thanks 1