Transportation from Port of Miami to Local Catholic Church?

CruiszBug

Hello, all! I have been researching this diligently since I have a B2B2B coming up in December. Will need to attend Mass on Sundays which are Disembark/Embark days. Other than Uber or taxis, does anyone know a way to use Public Transportation for this? It looks like the Trolley comes onto Dodge Island but it is further up (there's a stop at 45 Atlantic Way). So I am not opposed to walking, just don't want to walk for an hour, lol! Closest church is Gesu and service is at 8:30 AM. Has anyone ever done this? Any advice or input?

On 9/14/2019 at 2:34 PM, bouhunter said:

God is everywhere.  Pray on your balcony 😋

That is so very true! But it takes a little more effort to be at Mass and I think God likes that!

18 hours ago, meadowlander said:

The Coral Way Trolley does not run on Sunday.

The Coral Way Trolley does seem to run on Sunday, but a limited schedule.  Currently watching movement of (not sure if trolley or buses) on a live tracker. When I look at the schedule it does run from 8 AM to 8 PM on Sundays.

16 hours ago, Roz said:

The Mass may be in Spanish, if that matters to you.

The 8:30 AM Mass is in English, but no.. it doesn't matter to me. 

15 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

Call whatever church you find because there is a very good chance any Catholic church close to port will only have mass  in Spanish, Creole, or Portuguese. 

Yes, thank you! The 4PM Mass on Saturday is in Spanish. But this is the oldest Catholic Church in South Florida and also has English Masses.

I assume you're going to be in Miami on Sunday.  There's a Stella Maris Catholic Chapel at POM that has Mass at 12:30 pm for passengers embarking or debarking on Saturdays.  Who knew?  I got this information from a website called The Catholic Travel Guide.

Roz

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roz said:

I assume you're going to be in Miami on Sunday.  There's a Stella Maris Catholic Chapel at POM that has Mass at 12:30 pm for passengers embarking or debarking on Saturdays.  Who knew?  I got this information from a website called The Catholic Travel Guide.

Roz

Yes, I saw that! But dang we will be not be in port until Sunday. This would all be moot if they would do services on board ship. I wonder what the crew does? If there are services on board Saturday afternoon/evening that would be perfect!

9 minutes ago, CruiszBug said:

Yes, I saw that! But dang we will be not be in port until Sunday. This would all be moot if they would do services on board ship. I wonder what the crew does? If there are services on board Saturday afternoon/evening that would be perfect!

I sail a lot on HAL, and they almost always have a Catholic priest on board who says daily Mass.  The schedule is adjusted depending on whether it's a port day or sea day.  In this instance, the priest would do a Saturday vigil Mass for sure.  HAL has a large number of their crew from the Philippines, many of whom are Catholic, so the priest is able to meet their spiritual needs.  He also serves as a sort of military chaplain.  For instance, if there's a death on board, he can support and counsel the person's sailing companions.  This program is through the Apostleship of the Sea operated by the US Conference of Bishops.  

Probably more information than you wanted to know!

Roz

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roz said:

I sail a lot on HAL, and they almost always have a Catholic priest on board who says daily Mass.  The schedule is adjusted depending on whether it's a port day or sea day.  In this instance, the priest would do a Saturday vigil Mass for sure.  HAL has a large number of their crew from the Philippines, many of whom are Catholic, so the priest is able to meet their spiritual needs.  He also serves as a sort of military chaplain.  For instance, if there's a death on board, he can support and counsel the person's sailing companions.  This program is through the Apostleship of the Sea operated by the US Conference of Bishops.  

Probably more information than you wanted to know!

Roz

Lol! No this is perfect. Will just have to find a way to know if there will be services on Oasis. I know I have seen Jewish services listed but never saw one for Mass.  

Just looked it up. RCCL only participates in Easter, Christmas, and repositioning cruises. Boo...

Edited by CruiszBug
Add info

On 9/15/2019 at 2:43 PM, CruiszBug said:

The Coral Way Trolley does seem to run on Sunday, but a limited schedule.  Currently watching movement of (not sure if trolley or buses) on a live tracker. When I look at the schedule it does run from 8 AM to 8 PM on Sundays.

You are correct. I had seen on the website the hours you listed & I had seen no service on Sunday. It is good news as I am also in Miami on a December Sunday on a b2b and would like to attend Catholic mass. Spoke to a rep at the Miami trolley and she confirmed the 8am/8pm schedule. She also said the nearest stop was by terminal J, which I am sure & hope is wrong.

My last visit to POM after waiting 30 + minutes, gave up when the trolley still did not appear. Don't think the 8:30 mass will be doable but there is a mass at 10 or 10:30.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2019 at 3:42 PM, CruiszBug said:

I just found out that there is a Sunday Mass .2 miles from Cruise Port parking.

MASS

For Sunday Masses, the nearest church is the Gesu Church. It is the oldest church in South Florida.

Address: 118 NE 2nd Street, Miami, Florida. GPS coordinates: 25° 46′ 33.4488” N, 80° 11′ 29.9328” W

Click here for the official website of the Gesu Church in Miami.

Sunday:

•  8:30 AM English  

• 10:00 AM  Español   

• 11:30 AM    English 

• 1:00 PM Español

https://goo.gl/maps/ut1bWNhqoHVU8DXU9 

On 11/8/2019 at 6:10 PM, irisheileen said:

I just found out that there is a Sunday Mass .2 miles from Cruise Port parking.

MASS

For Sunday Masses, the nearest church is the Gesu Church. It is the oldest church in South Florida.

Address: 118 NE 2nd Street, Miami, Florida. GPS coordinates: 25° 46′ 33.4488” N, 80° 11′ 29.9328” W

Click here for the official website of the Gesu Church in Miami.

Sunday:

•  8:30 AM English  

• 10:00 AM  Español   

• 11:30 AM    English 

• 1:00 PM Español

https://goo.gl/maps/ut1bWNhqoHVU8DXU9 

Yes, this is the one I was referring to. It is walkable (long walk), but will probably UBER or LYFT there and back. 

Thank you!