What to do in Eden Australia?

We will be on the Celebrity Solstice in March 2020 and not finding much of interest to do in Eden.  DH not interested in Oysters, or doing an excursion that includes more time in the water.  Has anyone enjoyed just getting off and walking around port?  What is there to see and do on foot?  Thanks!

17 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The whale museum is very interesting and worth a look, easy walking distance from the marina.

A little further afield is Ben boyd national park, which is nice for a walk or check out the lighthouses.

Thanks, MicCanberra.  I will check into both of those.

I'll be going to Eden too, but haven't yet decided what I'll do.  But I did find a booklet which should give you some ideas.  I've attached it - see below.  I think Eden is a tender port (but a short tender) although there's a ship there today and it looks like it might possibly be docked.  In any case, it looks like you'll be right near the marina area in the SE corner of Eden.  Just in case you're interested, this website shows which ships will be visiting: www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/port-of-eden/port-services-facilities/eden-cruise-schedule/    

Eden-Mag_Web-version-compressed-2018.pdf

Edited by roothy123

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Solstice will be tendering for sure.

It should be possible for Solstice to dock.

https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/port-of-eden/port-services-facilities/eden-cruise-wharf/

"Since 2014, the Port of Eden has seen a significant increase in cruise ship visitation. To allow cruise ships to berth alongside in Snug Cove, rather than anchoring in Twofold Bay and tendering passengers ashore by boat, a $44 million wharf extension commenced construction in August 2017 and was completed in August 2019.

Passenger vessels up to 325 metres in length are now able to berth alongside the upgraded wharf"

Solstice is 315 meters.

There is Tilba Tilba an historic little village up north on the coastal highway in the hills not far from Eden.

Very pretty and just interesting to walk around.

It was an old dairy farming community I think.

Plenty of tempting homemade crafts to buy.

And lots of old historic (by Australian standards) cottages.

There is also Cobargo a very small historic logging town.

It would be worth the drive if you had a hire car and enjoyed driving through nature.

You would get a good look at the Australian bush on this drive.

If you just want a relaxing few hours off the ship, a walk around Eden itself is worth it.

The town itself is a bit hilly.

And as Mic said the Whale Museum is worth a vist.

It is a lovely small fishing town and you would get to see a country town in Australia.

There are of course great beaches in the area to walk along or go swimming at.

Beautiful vistas will be seen on a coastal drive and there is an old historic wharf at Tathra which you can sit on and listen to the slaps of the whale's tails at the right time of year.

Last time we cruised to Eden, we were unable to go ashore because of the predicted wind would make it dangerous for return tendering in the afternoon.  The wharf would be a great asset. 

At the time there was going to be a bus (cost) provided by ship from the dock to Merimbula (which we had planned to do).

Edited by megsie
  • Like 1

I have been to Eden a few times both by ship and land and found it a lovely little town.  The people are very friendly and really appreciate cruise visitors.  When arriving by ship we have had free shuttle hop on hop off  buses provided by the local community which take you on a little excursion around the outskirts of town with about 4 stops which were very popular with passengers.  Beware when arriving at the wharf the walk into town is up a very very steep hill.

It is one of my favourite places and I can't wait for it to be added back onto itineraries from Melbourne again.  Good to hear that the wharf is finished.  As Mic mentioned the whale museum is interesting and there is a lighthouse plus you can cruise around Twofold Bay and maybe see wildlife.  Check out the Information Centre online and read about the hunting of whales in the early days and how the orcas used to help fishermen catch other whales.  Fascinating.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, megsie said:

Last time we cruised to Eden, we were unable to go ashore because of the predicted wind would make it dangerous for return tendering in the afternoon.  The wharf would be a great asset. 

At the time there was going to be a bus (cost) provided by ship from the dock to Merimbula (which we had planned to do).

Same here.

I highly recommend Eden Fish and Chips in the Main Street.

https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/port-of-eden/port-services-facilities/eden-cruise-wharf/

"To cater for the growth of cruise in Eden, Port Authority is committed to opening a new facility to welcome and disseminate cruise passengers transiting in Snug Cove. It is anticipated that the facility will be operational in 2020 in time for the 2020-21 cruise season."

That sounds almost like a cruise terminal. Is it even possible for Eden to become an embarkation/debarkation port?

By the way, I love the name Snug Cove as a cruise port. 😀

Eden is reaping the benefits of the cruise ship industry.   The footpath outside the fish and chip shops (2) near the wharf are now paved with gold.  We get down to Merimbula/Eden every couple of months, only a couple of hours drive from Batemans Bay where I reside.  

Edited by NSWP