Do you clean your cabin?

travelingfrog

I am curious if anyone cleans their own cabin. We primarily sail Holland America, and are four star mariners. Of course HA cabin stewards always do a great job, but I still see some streaks and spots left on the doors, night stands, table, etc. For our next cruise, 33 days from Honolulu to Auckland on the Noordam in late October, I’m going to take a small bottle of all surface natural cleaning solution. No big deal, and honestly, I’m not some monstrous clean freak, but I think I’ll feel cozier if I take 15 minutes once a week and quickly go over the surfaces in our cabin. Has anyone else considered this?

13 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

We carry wipes with us and wipe down the TV remote, faucet handles, door handles and other surfaces that probably don't get sanitized on turn-around days. After that, we wash our hands, wash our hands, and wash our hands.

We do this as well, wipe down everything with wipes on embarkation day.  If you look closely things like nightstand tops and other surfaces are sometimes dusty.  The wipe from the remote is always dirty.  

Never - I can't imagine worrying about such things.  I do keep my stateroom neat, out of consideration for my stewards (and not wanting to live like a slob).  But wiping anything down or bringing cleaning stuff?  No way.  

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, travelingfrog said:

I am curious if anyone cleans their own cabin. We primarily sail Holland America, and are four star mariners. Of course HA cabin stewards always do a great job, but I still see some streaks and spots left on the doors, night stands, table, etc. For our next cruise, 33 days from Honolulu to Auckland on the Noordam in late October, I’m going to take a small bottle of all surface natural cleaning solution. No big deal, and honestly, I’m not some monstrous clean freak, but I think I’ll feel cozier if I take 15 minutes once a week and quickly go over the surfaces in our cabin. Has anyone else considered this?

If it makes you feel better, why not. Personally I'm not very anxious about dust or spots, and do realize my cabin is not handled like an intensive care unit. But washing your hands often, much more often than you'd do on land, is always a very good idea. 

• Like 4

Nope on taking cleaning solutions to the ship; Yep on keeping it nice looking with "stuff" put away on a daily basis. By-product of four years in the Corps and a senior D.I. and his staff giving you "friendly reminders" to keep your bunk, squad bay and the heads squared away at all times :classic_cool:

• Like 4

I find streaks & stuff in my own home, so when I see them on a ship or hotel, I'm not bothered by them.  I know the stewards and housekeeping staff have a million things to do, so I don't let the little things get to me.  OTOH, a friend is like you, wiping down, cleaning, shining, etc.,  I just sit back and watch with a glass of wine in my hand.

We do keep our cabin tidy; I can't stand having it look like a tornado came through, or having a messy/unmade bed.  We all have different priorities.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Edited by ger_77
spellllllling
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

We carry wipes with us and wipe down the TV remote, faucet handles, door handles and other surfaces that probably don't get sanitized on turn-around days. After that, we wash our hands, wash our hands, and wash our hands.

I do the same. My husband thinks I’m nuts. But we have a 5 year old. Germs loom everywhere. Hand washing, wipes, and hand sanitizer are a daily part of life! 

• Like 1

A place for everything, and everything in its place. I follow that at home, and in my cruise cabin because I want to be able to get what I want without thinking about it. And because I don't want anything to go flying if the ship should be hit by an 80' wave. 
But clean??? It is to laugh. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Keep cabin tidy to help the stewards, absolutely.  It also helps me to stay organized.  I cannot stand to walk into our cabin and see our clothes (or other personal items) draped over chairs, sofa or flat surfaces.  We hang our used towels unless we want them replaced, then we stack them on the floor next to the shower door.

As for actually  cleaning the cabin, no way!  I'm on vacation, a word which means a respite from household chores IMO.  We constantly wash our hands with soap and hot water.  No hand sanitizers, as it is useless against the dreaded Noro Virus unless it has bleach added to it, according to the CDC.  

For those who find surfaces less than clean in your cabins, have you ever mentioned this to your stewards?  I am sure they would correct the problem if passengers make them aware of it.  We once noticed mold on the grout in the shower and asked the steward to spray it with bleach.  When we returned to our cabin, the mold was gone.  Bringing cleaning products not approved by the housekeeping department could damage surfaces.  Just a thought, which may not have occurred to some.

11 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Same here on the first day