Water on excursions

Eager2Travel

As of a couple of weeks ago, Navigator was still handing out plastic bottles of water at the gangway.   They were using the filtered water for the suites, with a refillable glass container.  

Edited by RJ2002

We will not experience the new water system until November but were on Crystal last week and they had a similar system.  Interestingly, our suite had plastic bottles but the restaurants had the glass, reusable, bottles.  The bottles are way too heavy to schlep on an excursion.  The water was fine but the sparking water was crap (can I say that?). I like heavily carbonation water.  Hopefully Regent still has Perrier.

Perhaps Regent could ask tour operators to have a bag for used water bottles so they can be recycled on Regent (or passengers could return them but I truly do not believe that passengers would take the time ..... perhaps I'm just cynical).  

11 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Hopefully Regent still has Perrier.

San Pellegrino for us.  I think I'll add it to a special request I put in for a beer that sometimes don't stock.  If they still are stocking San Pellegrino and my favored beer, they can just handle this out of stock.  If not, they can procure it specially.

16 minutes ago, Portolan said:

San Pellegrino for us.  I think I'll add it to a special request I put in for a beer that sometimes don't stock.  If they still are stocking San Pellegrino and my favored beer, they can just handle this out of stock.  If not, they can procure it specially.

16 minutes ago, Portolan said:

Great idea - thank you!

We recently went on the Amsterdam to New York Cruise on Navigator and as I disagree very strongly about using throw away plastic bottles I asked about what Regent were doing about this and I was informed that water fountains and reusable bottles are to be introduced later this year as soon as they sort the logistics. Good news.

Currently on Explorer, they are using plastic bottles for excursions and the gym. The Vero system glass bottles are provided in your suite (they fit in the fridge) and are used in the restaurants, bars, etc. I haven’t had any problem getting San Pellegrino in any restaurant. 

We knew of the new system this summer on the Navigator. So just brought along 2 reusable water bottles filled each day from Vero system put in fridge then took on excursions. So no need to use single use plastic, roll on when those bottles go from the table as you leave the ship, you should be organised before this. Even on Navigator 490 pax X 20 days so that is close to 10000 bottles, that is not sustainable or desirable it cannot be defended.

I'll be on the Mariner in 2 weeks and when I called Regent to ask about the Vero system, they said Regent was no longer providing water in plastic bottles to take on excursions.  That seems to differ from what current travelers are reporting but I'm packing reusable water bottles.  I applaud Regent for their decision to eliminate the use of disposable bottles.

• Like 1

I applaud the change as well.  I do think, though, that this new way of doing saves the company money.    I imagine that this second reason is as much part of the equation as caring about the environment.   But I could be totally mistaken about my supposition.

In any case, it's the right thing to do.

I may be the only one that feels this way, but I feel that Regent cruisers are being too harsh on Regent in terms of  eliminating plastic bottles.  This is not something that happens overnight. 

The fact that the previous cruiser has sailed on a river cruise that had "single-served boxed water" has (IMHO) has nothing to do with Regent.  It will take time for all cruise lines to switch to non-plastic bottles.  Please give them a break.  Looking forward to learning what this looks like a year from now!

Journeyfan, if this information isn’t in your final cruise documents I don’t see how this is possible. Unless they are providing to every passenger reusable bottles, they would not let passengers go on an excursion without water. The Vero glass bottles are not only too big but breakable. Miami needs to get their act together in what they are telling customers. 

4 hours ago, taxare said:

Journeyfan, if this information isn’t in your final cruise documents I don’t see how this is possible. Unless they are providing to every passenger reusable bottles, they would not let passengers go on an excursion without water. The Vero glass bottles are not only too big but breakable. Miami needs to get their act together in what they are telling customers. 

On a river cruise this summer, they used glass bottles in the rooms and provided reusable containers to everyone to use on excursions. The extra water brought along on the buses were more of the reusable bottles, filled, and in coolers. It worked fine. Regent could use a similar system.

10 hours ago, taxare said:

Could you clarify the sentence that I bolded above?  Why would Regent not let passengers to on an excursion without water?

5 hours ago, Sharle said:

On a river cruise this summer, they used glass bottles in the rooms and provided reusable containers to everyone to use on excursions. The extra water brought along on the buses were more of the reusable bottles, filled, and in coolers. It worked fine. Regent could use a similar system.

My only concern about providing reusable containers to everyone on excursions is that they will likely be left somewhere and would not make it back to the ship.  Regent does sell reusable water bottles with their name on it.  Perhaps a cheaper version (without the Regent name to cut down expenses) could be put in each suite ..... but, they would need to figure out a way to insure that they are returned to the ship.

I easily see Regents giving each passenger (in their suite) a reusable (collapsible ) water bottle that fits what ever type of fountain they will have.  Passengers bring these back to the ship just like they bring back their key card. At the end of the cruise the passengers takes the bottle with them.

3 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

I easily see Regents giving each passenger (in their suite) a reusable (collapsible ) water bottle that fits what ever type of fountain they will have.  Passengers bring these back to the ship just like they bring back their key card. At the end of the cruise the passengers takes the bottle with them.

It is the taking them back to the ship that I'm concerned about as they are not a size that you could stick in your pocket.  Passengers may need a special reminder on the bus to remember their water bottles.