Water on excursions

Eager2Travel

1 hour ago, Sharle said:

we were given inexpensive metal containers. As far as I could tell, they all made it back to the ship. Did not seem to be a problem

If someone gave me a metal container to drink water from, I would not use it!  

Sheila - it sounds easy but with Regent passengers, they are going to do what they want to do.  Besides, people leave cameras, phones and many other things on the bus which is obviously not intentional.  Even if a disposable water bottle was found in the bus, there would need to be a way to identify it.  

At this point I'm happy that I don't drink much (if any) water while on an excursion unless we are in hot weather!

• Haha 1

TC, what I am saying is that I am skeptical about what Journeyfan was told by Miami. My experience with Regent Excursions (yes we mainly use their excursions) is most couples take at least one bottle of water. If Regent is not offering some type of reusable/refillable water container they will continue to hand out plastic bottles. They will not say to their excursion passengers sorry we have no water to provide you in any form. We have been provided metal bottles on other ships as well.  I am going to do some digging while I am still onboard. 

Just now, taxare said:

TC, what I am saying is that I am skeptical about what Journeyfan was told by Miami. My experience with Regent Excursions (yes we mainly use their excursions) is most couples take at least one bottle of water. If Regent is not offering some type of reusable/refillable water container they will continue to hand out plastic bottles. They will not say to their excursion passengers sorry we have no water to provide you in any form. We have been provided metal bottles on other ships as well.  I am going to do some digging while I am still onboard. 

While Regent likely is still using up their plastic bottles, is there a reason why passengers could not be asked to return the plastic bottle to the ship for recycling?  This really isn't any different than having your own bottle.  Perhaps Regent could have a place near the door where you embark to put the plastic bottles.   

One of the things I like best about Regent is they have always as far back as Song of Flowers which I know wasn’t Regent made sure passengers took water off the ship with them.  I felt taken care of, like there were concerned about my wellbeing and that I stay hydrated.  I guess I’m just a simple soul.

We have two empty plastic  bottles with us which we will take on the ship.

• Like 1

I was not able to get a lot of information, but the executive concierge on the Explorer gave me as much information as he could. Regarding the Explorer only, Phase 2 of the new water system will not likely be implemented until January. They are going to install the Vero water system machines near the gangways where you will depart for your excursions. Once it is implemented passengers will be provided a reusable/refillable bottle to use. I asked if it would be metal and he couldn’t answer that. It does sound like different ships will have different implementation dates. If Journeyfan is on a voyage with early adoption I believe we would all like to hear about it. 

15 hours ago, taxare said:

I was not able to get a lot of information, but the executive concierge on the Explorer gave me as much information as he could. Regarding the Explorer only, Phase 2 of the new water system will not likely be implemented until January. They are going to install the Vero water system machines near the gangways where you will depart for your excursions. Once it is implemented passengers will be provided a reusable/refillable bottle to use. I asked if it would be metal and he couldn’t answer that. It does sound like different ships will have different implementation dates. If Journeyfan is on a voyage with early adoption I believe we would all like to hear about it. 

I can imagine the chaos of filling water bottles at the gangway departure - idiotic, if true!

16 minutes ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

I can imagine the chaos of filling water bottles at the gangway departure - idiotic, if true!

It would be an awkward place indeed, but you can refill it in your suite from the glass bottle. You can also go to a refill station any time. Refill stations may be at other locations on the ship. I have been on 2 different lines where they had refill stations, none of them at the gangway.

Regent uses plastic bottles, people complain.

Regent implements system to eliminate or reduce plastic bottles, people complain.

How about we give them a chance to implement their solution before we start griping about it?  I’m sure they’ll have considered the logistics of it before they switch over.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Regent implements system to eliminate or reduce plastic bottles, people complain.

How about we give them a chance to implement their solution before we start griping about it?  I’m sure they’ll have considered the logistics of it before they switch over.

😁 +1

3 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Thank you for being the voice of reason.  Perhaps CC should change their name to "Complainers Corner".  

• Like 2

I'mm just going to bring my own reusable bottle from home - the bottle I use when I go the gym - and then fill it myself in my suite bathroom.  No lines at the refill station and no concerns (real or not) about bottle sanitation as I will wash it myself and let it aair-dry overnight.  Problem solved (at least for me)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you for being the voice of reason.  Perhaps CC should change their name to "Complainers Corner".  

Eh, it’s human nature - I’m guilty of it, too.  But sometimes this board seems extra hard to please.  🤪

• 4 weeks later...

Folks,

My DW and I have used reusable, collapsable water bottles for years.  Ours are made by Platypus, we bought them at REI, but can get them or similar in any major outdoor store.  They fold flat, so take no room in luggage, and when we're near end of an outing, just dump the water out and put them in your pocket.  Most big cruise ships have ability to desalinate, but they also take on potable water when in port, and have their own systems for purifying.  Tap water in these ships is quite good.  Give the ocean a break, and pick up a few of these to take with you, and do your part for Mother Earth. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Folks,

My DW and I have used reusable, collapsable water bottles for years.  Ours are made by Platypus, we bought them at REI, but can get them or similar in any major outdoor store.  They fold flat, so take no room in luggage, and when we're near end of an outing, just dump the water out and put them in your pocket.  Most big cruise ships have ability to desalinate, but they also take on potable water when in port, and have their own systems for purifying.  Tap water in these ships is quite good.  Give the ocean a break, and pick up a few of these to take with you, and do your part for Mother Earth. 

Sounds good but we would not drink out of the taps on a ship. Instead, since Regent now has bottles of water in your suite, those could be used to fill your own containers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Sounds good but we would not drink out of the taps on a ship. Instead, since Regent now has bottles of water in your suite, those could be used to fill your own containers.

Absolutely right IMHO.

Having taken a 14 day cruise on Voyager this month, we - for the first time on a cruise ship I add - vowed not to take a single use plastic bottle from the ships gangway when going on excursions.

Knowing that Regent had introduced the Vero water system onto the ships we brought with us two of our reusable (non metal) water bottles we use for hiking and filled these with the 'Vero water' from the cabin, to take on excursions. (One other benefit of these bottles is that they are insulated so the water stays relatively cool !).

We also brought with us a small packet of those sterilising tablets that are used for baby bottles, and used these to sterilise our bottles overnight in the bathroom.

I'm pleased to say that it all worked fine, and I would do it again and again. From this thread it appears that we are not alone in 'bringing our own'.

I do hope that Regent are successful in taking the Vero system to the next stage in introducing some kind of reusable 'excursion bottles'.

As has already been said - give them a  chance. If I as a simple individual can make it work, without any hassle at all, I am sure that the combined brains of Regent will create a decent large scale solution that works for all.    

• Like 1

I just returned from a cruise on the Mariner.  I didn't hear any complaints about the Vero water system but we also had a Marine biologist lecturer on our cruise would gave a very disturbing talk on the harm plastic is causing to sea life in the oceans.  I noticed that many passengers were taking their own reusable plastic bottles on excursions (as I did) although Regent is still providing single-use plastic bottles for going ashore.  That will change in the near future.

What is the cost of providing a reusable bottle to every passenger?  Whatever the cost is will likely be added to our cruise fare.  I can see no reason why passengers cannot purchase their own bottle and, if they forget them, they can be sold in the Boutique.  

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

What is the cost of providing a reusable bottle to every passenger?  Whatever the cost is will likely be added to our cruise fare.  I can see no reason why passengers cannot purchase their own bottle and, if they forget them, they can be sold in the Boutique.  

I think a bigger issue with Regent-provided water bottles is the difference in what people prefer.  Some like metal, some like rubbery, some like bag-types, etc.  And that’s before you even get into cap types, size, etc.  A simple glance at Amazon or any sporting goods store will show that there’s no “one size solution” that will make everyone happy...

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

I think a bigger issue with Regent-provided water bottles is the difference in what people prefer.  Some like metal, some like rubbery, some like bag-types, etc.  And that’s before you even get into cap types, size, etc.  A simple glance at Amazon or any sporting goods store will show that there’s no “one size solution” that will make everyone happy...

You gave another reason why Regent does not need to provide water bottles.  Regent does provide water bottles (they were some kind of plastic that was used earlier this year) to passengers in the Master Suites (maybe the Grand suites as well).  I kept taking them home until I realized that it was wasting space in the closet.  Now when I get them, I give them away.  We do not tend to drink water on excursions (except in extremely hot areas) and we would be happy to take our own bottle if we think that we'll need one.

As has been said earlier - give Regent a chance to get this set up before everyone complains.  The fact that Regent has implemented reusable water bottles onboard is a big plus.  Perhaps we can be patient until the next phase of the project is rolled out?  

• Haha 1

After our Med cruise in July, with the way too large glass Vero water bottle, we will now be bringing a small plastic funnel as part of our cruise essentials. We had saved 2 small plastic water bottles from our pre-cruise hotel to refill, but it wasn't easy to do. We had brought our newly purchased flat bag water bottles (based on CC suggestions), and they were impossible to fill from the large glass Vero bottles without spilling most of the Vero water into the sink. We had to buy bottled water on many of our excursions since no bottles were offerd onboard our ground transportation. After accumulating 6 small water bottles to keep filled in our frig so we had cold water to drink during the night, and to bring on our subsequent excursions, we made sure that we disposed of any additional water bottles purchased on excursions (and at 90 degrees most days there were many) were deposited on shore before returning to the ship. If the places we visit onshore don't restrict plastic water bottles, then I'm not sure why we are obsessed with it? I am not adverse to drinking RO water, but when I see the ship refilling with water at the dock, and sometimes see or smell bad water from the tap, I'm reluctant to drink the tap water onboard.