World Series

lenquixote66

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I hope you like it.I was never really into football but the son of one of my childhood friends was a QB with the Dolphins and Jets.Whenever he played I would watch the games.

It looks very interesting and about someone about whom I have little knowledge, but will watch to learn.  You have certainly had some interesting connections in you life.

BTW I saw your 9/11 connection....my condolences.

5 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

It looks very interesting and about someone about whom I have little knowledge, but will watch to learn.  You have certainly had some interesting connections in you life.

BTW I saw your 9/11 connection....my condolences.

Thanks. Re the documentary ,I have met a lot of people who are basketball fans but have no idea who Roger was.He had an amazing life .

My first name is Lenny and my name appears at the end.

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Thanks. Re the documentary ,I have met a lot of people who are basketball fans but have no idea who Roger was.He had an amazing life .

My first name is Lenny and my name appears at the end.

Thanks - watching now.  Interesting story.  Appreciate the information about it.

...and enjoy your cruise!

5 hours ago, davecttr said:

Originally sponsored by a publication called 'The World' ?

While anecdotally correct, not necessarily the true reason as per below from rulesofsport.com:

The Origin of the Name 'the World Series'

For many years, it was believed that the name came from the fact that the original series was sponsored by the New York World Telegram newspaper, thus becoming known as the ‘World’s Series’. However, popular as this explanation may be, it’s not actually true and although the newspaper did report the results of the games, it had nothing to do with the naming of the competition.

The real reason behind the name is thanks to Barney Dreyfuss who was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1903, he wrote to the owner of the Boston Red Sox challenging them to a ‘World’s Championship Series’. The Pirates were the best team in the National League and the Red Sox were the best in the American League.

The games went ahead and Boston won the series five games to three. Over time, the 'World’s Championship Series' name has been shortened to the World Series and has been played every year apart from 1904 and 1994.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Be aware that you may be at the mercy of the satellite feeds that are available in the Caribbean - it is not likely that you will receive the Fox feed directly.

We've sailed in the Caribbean a few years during the NCAA tournament and the only feed was through ESPN Caribbean.  We could watch whatever one game the official broadcasters were willing to share with ESPN, and the scores on the crawl feed were almost non-existent.  

The one thing that works in your favor is that once they reach the World Series, there's only one game at a time as opposed to the playoffs when there are multiple games to choose from.

Holland America did not show the World Series in 2016 on our Mediterranean cruise. The opening pitch was after midnight.

I assume that Royal Caribbean would show the World Series during a Caribbean cruise, depends on what the broadcast rights cost them and how much they figure to make running World Series special sales.

24 minutes ago, whogo said:

Holland America did not show the World Series in 2016 on our Mediterranean cruise. The opening pitch was after midnight.

I assume that Royal Caribbean would show the World Series during a Caribbean cruise, depends on what the broadcast rights cost them and how much they figure to make running World Series special sales.

It would be shown on board via their normal channel satellite feeds such as ESPN, etc.  What broadcast rights would be involved? They also would not turn the current cruise booking for this year into a WS special cruise - wouldn't make any sense and likely no market even if they would.

BTW we have seen certain major sporting events on several RCI cruises as I indicated shown in the stateroom TV and in a bar.  Nothing special about it.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

4 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

It would be shown on board via their normal channel satellite feeds such as ESPN, etc.  What broadcast rights would be involved? They also would not turn the current cruise booking for this year into a WS special cruise - wouldn't make any sense and likely no market even if they would.

BTW we have seen certain major sporting events on several RCI cruises as I indicated shown in the stateroom TV and in a bar.  Nothing special about it.

The cruise line has to pay to broadcast these normal channel satellite feeds. I assume they could have shown it, had Holland America chosen to pay for Fox's feed  on that cruise. The only sport shown during one World Series game was Missouri vs Texas A&M women's volleyball.

21 minutes ago, whogo said:

The cruise line has to pay to broadcast these normal channel satellite feeds. I assume they could have shown it, had Holland America chosen to pay for Fox's feed  on that cruise. The only sport shown during one World Series game was Missouri vs Texas A&M women's volleyball.

Then I guess that was HAL's choice of broadcast.  But, as I've indicated, RCI has shown several major sporting events on cruises we'be been on.  

On 9/15/2019 at 1:33 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

While anecdotally correct, not necessarily the true reason as per below from rulesofsport.com:

The Origin of the Name 'the World Series'

For many years, it was believed that the name came from the fact that the original series was sponsored by the New York World Telegram newspaper, thus becoming known as the ‘World’s Series’. However, popular as this explanation may be, it’s not actually true and although the newspaper did report the results of the games, it had nothing to do with the naming of the competition.

The real reason behind the name is thanks to Barney Dreyfuss who was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1903, he wrote to the owner of the Boston Red Sox challenging them to a ‘World’s Championship Series’. The Pirates were the best team in the National League and the Red Sox were the best in the American League.

The games went ahead and Boston won the series five games to three. Over time, the 'World’s Championship Series' name has been shortened to the World Series and has been played every year apart from 1904 and 1994.

Why did you think virtually no other country takes this seriously?

As a massive sports fan it amazes me that this sport is so popular in the states but is barely played anywhere else. Well not professionally.

In the same way that I cant understand why soccer and cricket never took off in the states.

It is the rugby union world cup soon and yet I suspect it's hardly registered in the states.

Just curious.

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Why did you think virtually no other country takes this seriously?

As a massive sports fan it amazes me that this sport is so popular in the states but is barely played anywhere else. Well not professionally.

In the same way that I cant understand why soccer and cricket never took off in the states.

It is the rugby union world cup soon and yet I suspect it's hardly registered in the states.

Just curious.

Not sure why you quoted me with your response - I wasn't contributing to any discussion, pro or con, regarding the global merits of the sport of baseball v any other sport.  I was simply explaining the origin of the World Series name.

But to address you comments, there are - as you indicate - a number of sports germane to a specific country or region of the world that likely became that way as they originated there and are popular as the kindred sport to those cultures.

Perhaps I would have a greater appreciation for soccer or cricket if I grew up in the UK, but in the US I had baseball and football, which were the sports I grew up with and became a fan of for that reason.  Never had the exposure to sports popular in Europe so they have no impact on me now as an adult as a result.  

Apologies just quoted you as you gave a good explanation.

And I am very interested in US sports as well as the ones I know and love.

Football supporting in the UK is very tribal, to the point of violent.

Do people get quite that intense with US sports teams fans?