World Series

lenquixote66

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

My father was a Pro soccer player in the 1920’s and from playing he was able to learn and was nearly fluent in Spanish,Italian,German and English.

Just from watching overseas games in the various leagues and listening to the commentary, I have become very effluent in many of the same languages, even a bit of French.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Apologies just quoted you as you gave a good explanation.

And I am very interested in US sports as well as the ones I know and love.

Football supporting in the UK is very tribal, to the point of violent.

Do people get quite that intense with US sports teams fans?

Definitely passionate fans of many sports can get violent, even when they win.

20 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Apologies just quoted you as you gave a good explanation.

And I am very interested in US sports as well as the ones I know and love.

Football supporting in the UK is very tribal, to the point of violent.

Do people get quite that intense with US sports teams fans?

No apologies needed - I maybe misunderstood your intent.

And, yes, US Football fans are very intense with many of the teams.  Rivalries are strong and when fans of visiting teams go to the opposition's stadiums to root for their visiting team, they can be subject to some quite strong reactions from the home team's fans.

BTW, my CC avatar is the logo for the Philadelphia Eagles football team, who is known as having one of the more "enthusiastic" fan bases.  I am a season ticket holder and can say from first hand experience that the team is, shall we say, very well supported by their fans at their games.....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I like that. A loud passionate crowd makes the sport a much more intense and better spectacle.

England v Australia in the Cricket Ashes is the same.

As is the Ryder Cup

Great sporting events.

Unlike Tennis which I find lame.

don't hold your breath wrt world series games just because they'd be popular

not too long ago we sailed on a "BIG BOAT" over Thanksgiving. As any college football fan knows this is a BIG weekend for college ball.

As several BIG college games were about to begin the sports bar closed to host BINGO for the next two hours and the BIG screen out by the pool had a very lesser game .......

Groups of alums from 'big schools'' ended up huddled around personal iPads and laptops trying to stream via the ship internet (satellite) and WiFi with varying levels of success . . . .

It was as if the cruise director was anti sports ......

Edited by Capt_BJ

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was a Mets fan who went to Philadelphia to see the Mets play the Phillies .Crankee fans never leave the Bronx.

I  have to correct you, Yankee fans do travel and do so badly. I was in Toronto years ago and decided to catch a Blue Jays game. The Yankees were in town and unfortunately so were about 10 busloads of their most vile fans. I had the bad fortune to have a seat in an adjacent section. They were already well into their drinking day and refused to stand for the Canadian national anthem, some were booing loudly during it. I was very much embarrassed to be an American that day. It gets better, after the game one loud group was walking back toward the bus parking chanting Canada sucks very loudly. I decided at that point to return to my hotel, stopping at a sports bar along the way. As I ordered my beer a bouncer heard my accent and came over to question me. He asked me if I was one of the Yankee fans. After repeating my line that my favorite team was the Phillies and whoever is playing the Yankees he smiled and gave me the thumbs up.

12 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

I  have to correct you, Yankee fans do travel and do so badly. I was in Toronto years ago and decided to catch a Blue Jays game. The Yankees were in town and unfortunately so were about 10 busloads of their most vile fans. I had the bad fortune to have a seat in an adjacent section. They were already well into their drinking day and refused to stand for the Canadian national anthem, some were booing loudly during it. I was very much embarrassed to be an American that day. It gets better, after the game one loud group was walking back toward the bus parking chanting Canada sucks very loudly. I decided at that point to return to my hotel, stopping at a sports bar along the way. As I ordered my beer a bouncer heard my accent and came over to question me. He asked me if I was one of the Yankee fans. After repeating my line that my favorite team was the Phillies and whoever is playing the Yankees he smiled and gave me the thumbs up.

Maybe they should never leave the Bronx

5 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

BTW, my CC avatar is the logo for the Philadelphia Eagles football team, who is known as having one of the more "enthusiastic" fan bases.  I am a season ticket holder and can say from first hand experience that the team is, shall we say, very well supported by their fans at their games.....

They may support the team, but god forbid Santa shows up when there's snow on the ground...he better have a security detail.  🙂

9 hours ago, msmayor said:

They may support the team, but god forbid Santa shows up when there's snow on the ground...he better have a security detail.  🙂

Not that I am disagreeing with you, but you do realize that this occurred in 1968 and is rather old news?  Attached is a link that provides some context to the incident, which, although rather tired IMO, has since reached urban legend proportions.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/1/16946406/eagles-santa-claus-history-booing-snowballs

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Wow, very old news.

Indeed!  But it became the foundation upon which urban legends are built that today defines the spirit of the Philadelphia Eagles fans....of which I am one!  (But of a far more tame variety).

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Indeed!  But it became the foundation upon which urban legends are built that today defines the spirit of the Philadelphia Eagles fans....of which I am one!  (But of a far more tame variety).

I just remembered that my childhood friend Kenny’s son played for the Eagles in 1994-1995,Jay Fielder.

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I just remembered that my childhood friend Kenny’s son played for the Eagles in 1994-1995,Jay Fielder.

Yes he did - he was on the roster in '94 - '95 but never took the field in a game, as I recall.  He moved between a few teams but ultimately played most of his career as a starting QB with the Dolphins in the early 2000's.  Finished his career with a year with the Jets as a backup.

• 4 weeks later...

Embarked from Boston last fall aboard NCL Dawn on day of World Series Game 1,  Sox v. Dodgers.

Straight to Guest Services to inquire whether it would be shown on big screen in atrium (?)

"No sir.  I'm sorry."

"So I'll have to watch it in my cabin?"

"Umm, no sir.... I'm afraid we haven't contracted for that feed.  It won't be available anywhere on the ship."

"Oh Man!  You're Sh*tting me!! Oh MAN!!!   I'll tell you what buddy, I don't want to be YOU explaining that to 2,000 Boston fans for the next 6 hours."

No Broadcast ANYWHERE on board that night.

Next morning>>> Captain's Announcements:

"As a result of feedback from our valued passengers, we have purchased the satellite feed for the American World Series.  You will be able to view all remaining games beginning this evening."

Ask nicely.

All of you.

On 9/17/2019 at 8:10 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

Not that I am disagreeing with you, but you do realize that this occurred in 1968 and is rather old news?  Attached is a link that provides some context to the incident, which, although rather tired IMO, has since reached urban legend proportions.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/1/16946406/eagles-santa-claus-history-booing-snowballs

I do realize it is 'old' news...but if you talk to many fans in this area that's one of the hallmarks that describes Philly fans...they are passionate to the extreme sometimes.

7 hours ago, msmayor said:

I do realize it is 'old' news...but if you talk to many fans in this area that's one of the hallmarks that describes Philly fans...they are passionate to the extreme sometimes.

As an Eagles season ticket holder for 23 years you're preaching to the choir!  😉

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 9:22 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I will be on a cruise and since it is impossible to DVR the series I hope to be able to see the Mets defeat the Astros.

I always feel sorry for Met fans , although I do not know that many 😁😁, I do not understand growing up in New York with Mickey Mantle playing center and Yogi catching following anybody else. I hope your Astros prediction is at good as your Met. At least we agree on most of the broadway plays. 

I am pretty sure WS will be on, we once watch a big pay for view fight that cruise line showed for free. 

48 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

As an Eagles season ticket holder for 23 years you're preaching to the choir!  😉

I have a nephew living in NY who married a woman who grew up in a Philly suburb.My nephew is a huge Giants fan and his wife and her family are huge Eagles fans.

38 minutes ago, George C said:

I always feel sorry for Met fans , although I do not know that many 😁😁, I do not understand growing up in New York with Mickey Mantle playing center and Yogi catching following anybody else. I hope your Astros prediction is at good as your Met. At least we agree on most of the broadway plays. 

I am pretty sure WS will be on, we once watch a big pay for view fight that cruise line showed for free. 

A guy who I knew in Brooklyn,Frank Tepedino played for the Yankees in the 60’s .When He was on the team I rooted for the Yankees.

I am predicting a Houston vs. Washington World Series.

46 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have a nephew living in NY who married a woman who grew up in a Philly suburb.My nephew is a huge Giants fan and his wife and her family are huge Eagles fans.

My wife is from Pittsburgh and a Steelers fan.  In our early years that took some getting used to as well. Not so much anymore - I've adjusted!

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

My wife is from Pittsburgh and a Steelers fan.  In our early years that took some getting used to as well. Not so much anymore - I've adjusted!

I assume that would be similar to Jets and or Giants fans having a spouse from Buffalo and rooting for the Bills.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I assume that would be similar to Jets and or Giants fans having a spouse from Buffalo and rooting for the Bills.

Probably.  BTW our friends from up your way - who are avid Jets fans - visited us last weekend and we took them to the Eagles / Jets game. It was a good time but pretty rough on them.  Hard to be a Jets fan these days I guess!