Taxi vs Ferry to Brooklyn Cruise Port

Signet

I’m arriving by Amtrak in Penn Station around noon on a Saturday for Princess Cruise.  Now I’m reading about a ferry to the Brooklyn terminal. Would it be better to take a cab from Penn Station to the Ferry (pier 11, is what I’m reading here). Then ferry over to the cruise port?  Or just go ahead and taxi directly to Brooklyn terminal.

Which brings up another question if I just take a cab.  Will I have trouble finding a cab willing to leave Manhattan to go to the Brooklyn terminal? could I possibly get attitude from the cabbie having to go to Brooklyn. I realize that attitude would be specific to the cabbie, but generally would the taxi driver just rather take the short Manhattan trips, or is this really not a concern I should have about going to Brooklyn from Manhattan via taxi?

25 minutes ago, Signet said:

I’m arriving by Amtrak in Penn Station around noon on a Saturday for Princess Cruise.  Now I’m reading about a ferry to the Brooklyn terminal. Would it be better to take a cab from Penn Station to the Ferry (pier 11, is what I’m reading here). Then ferry over to the cruise port?  Or just go ahead and taxi directly to Brooklyn terminal.

Which brings up another question if I just take a cab.  Will I have trouble finding a cab willing to leave Manhattan to go to the Brooklyn terminal? could I possibly get attitude from the cabbie having to go to Brooklyn. I realize that attitude would be specific to the cabbie, but generally would the taxi driver just rather take the short Manhattan trips, or is this really not a concern I should have about going to Brooklyn from Manhattan via taxi?

NYC yellow cabs are metered, so the fare will vary depending on the traffic.  There are possible tolls should the cab decide to use the midtown tunnel or the Hugh Carey Tunnel to get to Brooklyn.  Taking a cab from Penn Station to Pier 11 should involve a straight shot down the west side on 12th Ave around the tip of Manhattan to Pier 11 and IMO the fare should be more predictable and the route is more scenic.  How about Uber or Lyft?

Take a chance on the ferry.  It’s $2.75.  It’s a mini cruise across the East River right to your ship with lots of photo ops and an easy unique way to arrive for your cruise.  The ferry will stop at Dumbo and the Brooklyn Bridge. Much less angst than riding with a NY cabbie through the streets of NYC to get to Brooklyn.

Signet i plan on using the pier 11 ferry for my Princess cruise next fall. I am staying in financial district so a ride to the ferry will be quick. My wife and i will have one  roller board each. Piece of cake for us. 

Edited by AF-1