British Breakfast Offerings?

Bellarion

19 hours ago, bboop51 said:

Interesting topic. This will be our first Royal cruise. English born hubby always cobbles together a full English Breakfast (not sure about the fried bread) when we sail on Celebrity.  I'm sure he is hoping for the same on the Adventure, when we sail, next May. He eats relatively healthy the rest of the year, so this is his big treat.

I bet they could make fried bread at the omelet station?  

Ask one of the food managers at the buffet.  They have skillets, bread and oil and butter so why not???

Edited by boscobeans

31 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Ask one of the food managers at the buffet.  They have skillets, bread and oil and butter so why not???

Sounds like a plan, except that he will be looking for somewhere (anywhere) else other than the the buffet for breakfast.  He hates (I mean hates) to queue to for food. I've seen him not eat rather than line up. On Celebrity we do Aqua, so breakfast and dinner are in Blu.  When all else fails, I'll get him his food.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, snaefell said:

Yes,again as we are all different it brings dread to many,for many others who have been brought up with it,it is just a normal food item,that is why when I watch.for example,Bizarre Foods on TV,because of the nature of the programme & some of the strange(that's my opinion as we are all different!)  things that he eats I always smile when he seems to stress the word BLOOD when he describes it!

I wasn't brought up on it, but I do enjoy it when I can find it. Which is rare, unfortunately.

But then I *was* brought up on menudo which most people seem to think is disgusting, so a little blood in a sausage isn't going to faze me.

9 minutes ago, Eslader said:

I wasn't brought up on it, but I do enjoy it when I can find it. Which is rare, unfortunately.

But then I *was* brought up on menudo which most people seem to think is disgusting, so a little blood in a sausage isn't going to faze me.

https://images.app.goo.gl/dmoPQdAGvPPnR7767

Come on, they weren’t that bad 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, snaefell said:

I always think US based cooking programmes are going over the top to be sensational when I hear them refer to it as Blood pudding or sausage instead of just Black pudding!

Those are terms used in other countries for basically the same thing.

19 hours ago, Hogbay said:

What about Australian breakfast 😯

Vegemite on toast with fruit or Smashed Avo on toast 😑😶😃😉

I like Vegemite or Marmite on toast.

When I was in Australia, a waitress told me how to eat it.

Toast, butter the toast, then a thin smear of Vegemite.  Tasty.  Salty, slightly bitter.  YUM

• Like 2

17 hours ago, boscobeans said:

We could find fried bread no problem on the buffet on P&O's Britannia,trouble was it was rock hard & shattered when you tried cutting it,not nice!

37 minutes ago, SRF said:

Those are terms used in other countries for basically the same thing.

I guess it is because of the nature of the programme but on the likes of Bizarre Foods the word blood seems to be heavily stressed IMO.

3 hours ago, snaefell said:

We could find fried bread no problem on the buffet on P&O's Britannia,trouble was it was rock hard & shattered when you tried cutting it,not nice!

That's why I would rather see it done, if done at all, at a place like the fresh egg omelet station and not far removed from the table like a ship's galley, or sitting in a tray for who knows how long at the buffet.

It might take a minute or two longer to make than an omelet but it would be nice and fresh, served right from the pan.

On 9/15/2019 at 4:19 PM, Bellarion said:

Thank you for your quick responses!  Having the British offerings may just be the tipping point for my British-born husband to say "yes" to this cruise!  Thanks again.

I haven't seen them on state side origin cruises but have seen them in the med area. 

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I tried them once, and afterwards decided I did not need to acquire a taste for them!

Once I knew what they were I didn't bother trying them. I made the mistake of trying kidneys and some other organ the Brits eat. I was assured since I liked liver I'd like it.. Ahh... NO NO and NO (thank you.)

On 9/17/2019 at 4:14 PM, Drock20J said:

In Ireland they use the Blood or Black interchangeably.

The history of said item is just bizarre.

This myth goes, that back in the day, when warriors were traveling, they would have oats, but no protein. So they would nick their horse to draw a bit of blood and add that to their oats. This would give it a black appearance, and littler made with blood.

Blood is rarely used in its name in Ireland. Black Pudding very much used. Blood sausage/pudding extremely extremely rarely

1 minute ago, compman9 said:

Out of interests, what do you American folk make of proper bacon?

You can't beat a BLT with American bacon, but there is so little meat on it, I can't believe you guys have it for breakfast. It is literally just fat

Very tasty fat.  However, I do prefer English bacon for breakfast.

1 hour ago, Monk86 said:

Blood is rarely used in its name in Ireland. Black Pudding very much used. Blood sausage/pudding extremely extremely rarely

I found that in the cities, you are correct, but in the country I found them using blood instead.

13 hours ago, compman9 said:

You can't beat a BLT with American bacon, but there is so little meat on it, I can't believe you guys have it for breakfast. It is literally just fat

Again,very much a matter of opinion,Canadian Bacon gets great reviews on TV but again tends to be what we in the UK would call streaky & usually,IME,crispy,we are regular visitors to the Netherlands & their bacon on breakfast buffets again tends to be the streaky kind but not normally,again IME,so crispy,as other Brits we much prefer Back Bacon with plenty of meat on it,on P&O's Britannia there seemed to be a variety of types which was nice,not sure what we are going to find on our upcoming first RCI cruise!

3 hours ago, snaefell said:

... not sure what we are going to find on our upcoming first RCI cruise!

If you cruise is out of the UK, then most likely both American and English bacon for breakfast.  They also have Canadian bacon, but I usually only see that with Eggs Benedict.  You may be able to ask for the Canadian bacon.

Pretty much a mystery what we will have,we are sailing on Quantum on her repo cruise from Beijing to Singapore,previous cruises have already drawn some interesting reviews for what is apparently a rather different,shall we say,set of menus,any idea what Chinese bacon is like!?!?

Edited by snaefell

20 hours ago, bboop51 said:

Once I knew what they were I didn't bother trying them. I made the mistake of trying kidneys and some other organ the Brits eat. I was assured since I liked liver I'd like it.. Ahh... NO NO and NO (thank you.)

Nothing can beat a steak and kidney pie if the kidneys have been prepared well, if not.... 

21 hours ago, compman9 said:

If you get the cheap stuff, yes.

But it you get the better quality, and pick and choose, it has much more meat to fat.

My FIL had a small grocery store, and cut bacon to order from slabs.  The bacon he got was AMAZING.

• Like 1