Post TA arrangements in Brooklyn

rakkor

We're on the QM2 travelleling to NYC before carrying on to the Carribean in November and was wondering what happens to passengers not departing the ship in NYC - We have a walking tour booked at 12:00 around Brooklyn, but my missus is worried we're going to get forced off the ship  go through  immigration earlier than that.

I believe your wife fears may be true... 

From previous discussions about "transit" passengers in NY, they seem to disembark the ship as usual, as if everyone were getting off (just minus your belongings if you are in "transit") and if you are getting back on, you have to go through the rigmarole of customs and immigration, to then go and sit in a separate sitting area in the terminal to get back on the ship... 

So, it may be a case of having to entertain yourself for a couple of hours minimum, before your tour begins. 

Not ideal... But, maybe there is a cafe or something near by, or maybe jump on the water taxi over to Manhattan for a couple of hours then come back for the tour before you have to re-board etc. 

Yes, you'll have to get off the ship by 10:30 or so, so it can be "cleared" by immigration and passengers can be allowed to board/reboard.

At the risk of "stealing some thunder" from your walking tour, you could walk from the ship to Van Brundt Street (straight out then one block down Pioneer Street) for some coffee shops (such as Baked) and eventually Fairway Market. Check Google Maps.

Edited by Underwatr
  • Like 1

Every QM2 voyage we have been on that disembarked in New York has stated the same 10:30am time Underwatr mentioned as the expected time for the final announcement requesting all guests to disembark.

That is until our last crossing that arrived in New York on 28 July 2019. The daily programme prior to our arrival that day stated "the final announcement ... is expected to be at 11:00am and 11:30am". Now I suppose they actually meant "between" rather than "at", but that's how it was actually worded.

In the event, the disembarkation process was seriously backed up that day, apparently because of limited staffing at US Customs and Immigration. We were delayed over an hour before our group was called off the ship and the queues to get through US Customs and Immigration that day were the longest I have seen there.

I don't know if that day was a one off or if Cunard has started to advise that the final disembarkation announcement in New York is expected to be 11:00am or later from now on.

9 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Every QM2 voyage we have been on that disembarked in New York has stated the same 10:30am time Underwatr mentioned as the expected time for the final announcement requesting all guests to disembark.

You prompted me to go back to my June westbound TA and verify what continuing passengers were told on that day. It was 10:30 as I had assumed (I recognize that your experience came after that).

Screenshot_20190915-202305__01-768x288.jpg.a5b3902f2a15f36d7abd43a5a4c55f04.jpg

I’ve disembarked a lot at Brooklyn and I must say that our Immigration procedures are ‘getting worse and worser’. Three big ships came in that morning, Bayonne and West Side, and proceedings in Brooklyn were dreadful. The folks who were on transfers and tours were being jumped ahead because there were not enough Immigration staff, and there was proper concern that their connections and tours were being seriously delayed. I’ve no doubt the current hostile attitude toward foreigners has something to do with, it as well as the absence of subordinate senior staff in agencies which is intentional. Remember the war cry-‘destroy the administrative state’. Well it’s happening. Welcome to the USA. 

I'll be disembarking in Brooklyn in a few months. My plan is to stay on board for as long as possible...literally until they force me off the ship. Does anyone do that? I'm sure I can't be the only one, but I'll certainly be a very happy one to stay until the last minute.

7 hours ago, steve1young said:

I'll be disembarking in Brooklyn in a few months. My plan is to stay on board for as long as possible...literally until they force me off the ship. Does anyone do that? I'm sure I can't be the only one, but I'll certainly be a very happy one to stay until the last minute.

In the past, we dallied until the last groups were leaving. Fortunately, being Platinum, we were able to wait in the Veranda Steakhouse (then Restaurant).

Of course, the longer you delay, the longer the waits at customs and immigration - not a small consideration.

This past July, due to delays with wheelchair attendants we were literally the last off the ship (not by choice, although we weren't in a hurry). The ship couldn't be cleared until it was zeroed out and the people waiting in the shoreside lounge were unable to rebound until we were off the ship. (We were so late, in this case, all the passengers had been processed [our three bags were the only ones remaining in the cavernous hall] and all customs agents were available to us.)

You can dally, but after a certain point, you're preventing people from completing their work (and starting others). I'm currently a part-time usher in a theatre in San Francisco. We can't close a section (and go home) until everyone is out of it - including through with the bathroom. We like people who have enjoyed the show and want to talk to others about it, but after a point, we want them to do it ...outside.

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1