Sunrise 9/4 thoughts

cltcruiser

We had an awesome time. We are platinum....so obviously been on a few ships.... and I found the main Lido pool area on the Sunrise to be my favorite layout of any I’ve been on. I never once had any trouble getting two chairs together, and I loved the tapered ‘stadium’ style loungers. Also like that the water works area is right there and not displaced elsewhere on the ship. 

Stefan was awesome in the sports bar....Nilo and his other ‘3 Amigos’ were awesome in the main dining room. Above and beyond in multiple ways, which was refreshing after a bad dining room experience on the Vista. 

Mikey was a great CD....I would put him up there with the best. And we’ve cruised with Matt as well as Dr. E. I never felt like he mailed it in....all effort, all the time. Even led some regular trivia sessions himself. And he was always incredibly friendly and approachable. 

I Made did a great job as cabin steward as well. (Side note here....what’s the deal with no turndown service on either the first or last night?!) 

I never once had a line to wait in at either Guy’s place, and the food in the main dining room was in general quite good. 

Downside.... main Lido eating area. Main food lines at primary meal times were very long and slow, and the sandwich line moved very slowly. We tended to avoid it altogether and eat somewhere else. Lines at peak mealtimes are always a problem on Lido on any ship, but this was definitely the worst largely due to layout of the lines I believe. 

Ship had a somewhat ‘small’ feel, but I don’t mean that in a bad way. What I mean is it always seemed to be pretty easy or quick to get from any point to another, whatever those points may be. 

Witnessed a little rudeness from passengers as well as a few that exhibited a general lack of self-awareness of their surroundings or other people they might be affecting, but people will be people.  In general, most people were very nice. 

In short, we were celebrating by daughter’s 13th birthday. She had a great time. We had a great time. And I would sail on the Sunrise again. The staff, top to bottom, was probably the best of any ship we’ve been on. Phenomenal. 

• Like 6

It's nice to read a positive review.  Excessive crowding in the Lido seems to be a common problem with this ship, but glad it wasn't too bad for you.  Most reviews have mentioned how great the staff is, so that is a big plus.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Thanks for doing the review.  We have always said that Carnival’s best asset in their employees, and they know it as well.

This is so true - we sailed on the same sailing and agree with most of the OP's thoughts. Looking at it from just two adults vs with a teen. We avoided the main pool area lol - it was a little louder down there than we noticed in the past. And you could hear much of it in the serenity area. Other than that an awesome 8 days! The staff were all wonderful! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, disfan13 said:

This is so true - we sailed on the same sailing and agree with most of the OP's thoughts. Looking at it from just two adults vs with a teen. We avoided the main pool area lol - it was a little louder down there than we noticed in the past. And you could hear much of it in the serenity area. Other than that an awesome 8 days! The staff were all wonderful! 

I have had many occasions to discuss this with a lot of management on the Carnival team.  It truly is there best asset. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 7:52 AM, disfan13 said:

Yeah, it was a bit loud. But I found that to be a benefit with the dive-in movies.... you could actually hear the dialogue....haha!

15 hours ago, KrakedMask said:

I will be on this in November! How crowded did the main areas of the ship get during the nights? Mainly the Atrium and bars? We're you always able to get a seat at a bar if you wanted to just go get a drink and sit?

The only time I saw the Atrium truly packed was when there were the dance parties/ music trivia stuff going on there. I never had a problem getting a seat at the bar there....the Alchemy bar was almost always quite empty, and the Red Frog is quite large with plenty of seating. 

Sports bar is quite empty except during NFL games on Sunday..... that was packed for those hours on Sunday, but we spent plenty of time in there, including watching some college football Saturday.

17 hours ago, KrakedMask said:

I will be on this in November! How crowded did the main areas of the ship get during the nights? Mainly the Atrium and bars? We're you always able to get a seat at a bar if you wanted to just go get a drink and sit?

We were on the same cruise and we never had an issue finding 2 seats together at any venue including comedy club and shows.

Sports bar for Sunday Football in San Juan was packed ( and fun) as mentioned.

My wife & I sat down at 11:30 and we were the first at the bar for choice seating, but that was by design.

Could not miss the Eagles Opener!

517.thumb.jpg.ce3f7b3640b35ddfc3aac1f9e5121a74.jpg

Edited by thesmiths
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thesmiths said:

We were on the same cruise and we never had an issue finding 2 seats together at any venue including comedy club and shows.

Sports bar for Sunday Football in San Juan was packed ( and fun) as mentioned.

My wife & I sat down at 11:30 and we were the first at the bar for choice seating, but that was by design.

Could not miss the Eagles Opener!

517.thumb.jpg.ce3f7b3640b35ddfc3aac1f9e5121a74.jpg

Wasn’t as packed for our Saturday game! 

BC599572-08CE-4041-8D7E-EFB1217DE200.jpeg

On 9/17/2019 at 7:52 AM, disfan13 said:

would you happen to have to Fun times?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

There is an adult only pool in the aft of this ship correct? How was that? Was it busy back there? 

Dan

Just off the Sunrise yesterday and the aft pool is not adult only.

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

There is an adult only pool in the aft of this ship correct? How was that? Was it busy back there? 

Dan

The serenity area is forward starboard, and wraps around the front of the ship and has a hot tub but no pool.  As mentioned, the aft pool is not adults only.  

Edited by jimbo5544

52 minutes ago, finoky said:

Just off the Sunrise yesterday and the aft pool is not adult only.

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The serenity area is forward starboard, and wraps around the front of the ship and has a hot tub but no pool.  As mentioned, the aft pool is not adults only.  

Bummer.  Is that aft pool (which seems to be common on a lot of Carnival ships) generally adult only on other ships?  I love the idea of an aft pool, with those great views and connectivity to the sea

Dan