Restaurants near Brooklyn Cruise Terminal

Debbdo

We will be arriving at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal Saturday much earlier than we will be able to board our cruise ship. We could stick around the airport and take a later taxi, but I prefer to go to the terminal, leave our luggage and find something to do near the terminal. Are there any restaurants that are within a walk able distance (less than a mile) from the terminal. Also, are there sidewalks? I prefer not to take a chance of getting run over trying to find a place to relax prior to embarkation. 🙂 

Thanks for any suggestions!

5 hours ago, Debbdo said:

We will be arriving at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal Saturday much earlier than we will be able to board our cruise ship. We could stick around the airport and take a later taxi, but I prefer to go to the terminal, leave our luggage and find something to do near the terminal. Are there any restaurants that are within a walk able distance (less than a mile) from the terminal. Also, are there sidewalks? I prefer not to take a chance of getting run over trying to find a place to relax prior to embarkation. 🙂 

Thanks for any suggestions!

4 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

According to Google Maps, yes. Looks like a nice assortment.

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Go into google and type map of Brooklyn  cruise terminal. Use a touchscreen and it will bring up a map. Pinch and zoom on the map. The more you zoom in the more places to eat show up. Have fun. 

It's not as simple as that. Many of the restaurants in the area will not be open for breakfast, just for lunch and dinner or dinner only. Some will not be open seven days a week. So it's necessary to actually do some more investigation to find out if a particular place will be open on the day of the week and at the time needed. It's also not an area where someone who is not used to inner city neighborhoods may be comfortable walking particularly at a time of day when there won't be a lot of people on the streets.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It's also not an area where someone who is not used to inner city neighborhoods may be comfortable walking particularly at a time of day when there won't be a lot of people on the streets.

Thanks for that! I used google maps and found several nice places, but it doesn't look like an area that I want to walk around. Guess we'll stick to the airport for a bit. 

Appearances can be deceiving. I agree that Van Brunt Street looks rather sketchy, but in fact this area is undergoing rapid gentrification.  Real estate prices have been soaring, and under the surface things are a lot more upscale than they look from the outside.  Two-bedroom apartments in in the high six figures are the rule rather than the exception, and larger properties routinely go for well over $1 or $2 million!   (Do a search for "Van Brunt Street Red Hook Brooklyn" on any of the major real estate websites, and you'll see what I mean!)

By the way, at the foot of Van Brunt Street (about .8 miles from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal) there's a Fairway Market that includes a very pleasant cafe right on the waterfront.  This map shows the location and directions from the cruise terminal:

https://goo.gl/maps/EUSpihH34sxc9MgG8

Also, what airport are you coming from? For example if you are flying into JFK, you could spend some time at the newly opened TWA Hotel in the former Terminal 5. Extremely fun place to hang out-- everything from a nice coffee shop to a Jean Georges casual restaurant. Just check your bags for a few hours while you hang out. 

If you are coming from LGA, you are going right through Williamsburg and Brooklyn Heights which are both quite nice with a ton of restaurants-- just do some due diligence on where you'd like to eat-- it wont cost you anything more in cab fare. 

If you are coming from Newark Airport the fastest route by taxi or Uber will most likely take you right through lower Manahttan-- plenty of nice places to stop for a bit without adding anything to the cost of transportation and a ton of hotels or restaurants you could check your bags at. 

I think any of these would be nicer than staying at the airport (with the exception of TWA in which the airport is the actual draw of course). 

Yes, there are plenty of sidewalk space, absolutely no crowds like SoHo or midtown and safe to walk around, vehicle traffic will be very light on a typical Saturday morning in Red Hook and you will hear the handful of truck & tractor trailers coming thru the warehouse/wholesale distribution area.  

If you flight (from IAD ??) is early, it should be 30+ to 45 minutes from LGA and 45 to 60 minutes coming from JFK (Belt Parkway - longer in distance but often faster - maybe 30 minutes, depending ... ) as long as the driver doesn't get lost.  

If you can dropped off your bags with porters, one scenic option is to take an inexpensive & quick ferry ride - up the lower East River to Wall Street vid Dumbo - where you can take nice pictures of Brooklyn Bridge, with some of the most expensive waterfront dining in town ... mostly for lunch/bruch & dinner and late nights.  Less than 5 minutes from the downtown WS pier, there are 24/7 deli for breakfast, if you are hungry - very reasonable prices - on Water Street, 2 short blocks away.  

Ikea, the furniture chain has a full scale store in Red Hook, it's about 0.8 mile or 16 minutes walk from the pier, their self-service cafe/restaurant is open for breakfast at 9 am - upstairs & indoors, an hour before they open the store for shoppers.   It's a quick & easy Uber ride to/from the pier should your legs "protest".  

Carrol gardens is a few blocks away with some good Italian, a mile from the Is Brooklyn hights with many restaurants. Original Juniors is also in same area great cheesecake and pastrami. Queen Italian restaurant in Brooklyn hights is good 

Edited by George C

3 hours ago, George C said:

Carrol gardens is a few blocks away with some good Italian, a mile from the Is Brooklyn hights with many restaurants. Original Juniors is also in same area great cheesecake and pastrami. Queen Italian restaurant in Brooklyn hights is good 

Yes, but the OP is looking for someplace to have breakfast early in the morning, and asked for something less than a mile from the cruise terminal. Italian restaurants, Juniors, etc. don't meet the OP's requirements. The cafes at Fair way Market and Ikea that have already been mentioned do meet the OP's request and are likely among the best options in the area.

Edited by njhorseman

On 9/16/2019 at 6:28 AM, Debbdo said:

Thanks for that! I used google maps and found several nice places, but it doesn't look like an area that I want to walk around. Guess we'll stick to the airport for a bit. 

How early is “early” as in “earlier than you can board”?

If it is too early to drop off bags - after getting off the plane, getting your luggage  and getting ground transportation to Red Hook, - I would suggest you taxi direct to Fairway Market and keep your bags with you - which is pretty much what you would be doing if you stayed at JFK.

40 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

How early is “early” as in “earlier than you can board”?

If it is too early to drop off bags - after getting off the plane, getting your luggage  and getting ground transportation to Red Hook, - I would suggest you taxi direct to Fairway Market and keep your bags with you - which is pretty much what you would be doing if you stayed at JFK.

We land at LGA at 9:30 am and boarding doesn't start until 2:00 pm (late due to additional immigration formalities and a US Coast Guard drill requiring participation from all crew members). I was just hoping there was some place walk-able from the port that we could grab a bite to eat before boarding.

2 hours ago, Debbdo said:

We land at LGA at 9:30 am and boarding doesn't start until 2:00 pm (late due to additional immigration formalities and a US Coast Guard drill requiring participation from all crew members). I was just hoping there was some place walk-able from the port that we could grab a bite to eat before boarding.

Landing at 9:30 means out of the plane by 9:45 (earliest) , with your luggage ready to grab a taxi by 10:00 (improbably early), and at Red Hook by 10:30 -11:00(absolutely earliest).

You can surely drop off your bags by then - and the neighborhood will be safe enough to walk that time of day. Some responses seemed to think you were talking wee hours, too early to drop off bags. A little googling will show you walkable, open restaurants - you are really talking lunch here. Maybe take the ferry over to Wall Street  - lots of eateries in the area.

• Like 1

Nowadays, 30 minutes is ideal but unlikely - from wheels down/feets hitting the ground at the arrival gate at LGA out to ground transportation with luggage collected (there are no gate-checked bags to be picked up, everything is out to the carousals downstairs at arrival level ... in this case, Terminal B, C or D depending on airline)   I would allow at least 45 to 60 minutes with the ongoing constructions - although Saturday is the slowest/fewer # of flights scheduled - and taxi would be the easiest/fastest for all terminal.  T-B however do have FHV or car service pickup/staging points for arranged meet-up with the driver assigned.  

With the recent opening of the 2nd brand new span of I-278's Kosciuszko Bridge  - 8 wide lanes of traffic, 4 in each direction to/from Queens over the Newtown Creek - the traffic bottleneck has eased quite a bit, making for an easier & faster airport trip ... LGA to Red Hook can be easily done in 30 minutes.  

OP can slow it down to time their arrival at the Pier to around 11:15 to 11:30 and drop their bags with a porter, then go do lunch.  The Red Hook Lobster Pound is nearby, open on Saturday at 11 a.m. for a nice seafood lunch - an easy 5 to 10 minutes, less than 1/4 mile walk (closer than the cafe @Ikea or Fairway Market.)  Prices are reasonable & food is good - 284 Van Brunt St, Brooklyn, NY — 11231  Tel # 718-858-7650, call ahead just to be sure ... walk-ins accepted and reservations not required.  Google for more details, it is one of the closest.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1