Cruise Critic Community
Thrak

Crossing Ceremony - Arctic Circle???

I know Princess does the Equator Crossing ceremony where one goes from being a Pollywog to a Shellbck but have never heard if they do the Blue Nose ceremony for crossing the Arctic Circle. Do they do this?

20 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I know Princess does the Equator Crossing ceremony where one goes from being a Pollywog to a Shellbck but have never heard if they do the Blue Nose ceremony for crossing the Arctic Circle. Do they do this?

There was no ceremony when we crossed the Arctic Circle during a transatlantic going north of Iceland, but we did get a "certificate" on the last day.

A crossing certificate was all we got as well last year when we crossed on the Pacific Princess. Probably too cold for hijinx out on deck.

29 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Learn something new almost every day on here.  Never heard of Blue Nose in this context.  What would you call it when you cross Antarctic Circle?  Well, I decided to look it up and you would join the Order of the RED Nose. 

Here is lots more trivia and history:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony

I'm pretty sure we got a certificate when we crossed the Equator but my wife would be the only one who would (maybe) have an idea where it is.

Certificate for me also!

They did have Midnight Sun parties on deck.

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I'm pretty sure we got a certificate when we crossed the Equator but my wife would be the only one who would (maybe) have an idea where it is.

We got two of those in one cruise (N-to-S and then S-to-N).  Didn't keep them.  I suppose I could have kept in my Princess files (I have one for each recent cruise).

7 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

We got two of those in one cruise (N-to-S and then S-to-N).  Didn't keep them.  I suppose I could have kept in my Princess files (I have one for each recent cruise).

Was curious as we will cross the Arctic Circle when we go to Tromsø and Alta in Norway next month. Obviously we will cross back on the return voyage but I can't imagine getting a second certificate.

We recently crossed the Arctic Circle on the CB Greenland cruise.  We did get certificates (which DW quickly tossed in the trash along with the other sale stuff) but there was no ceremony (not that we would have noticed).  

Hank

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Was curious as we will cross the Arctic Circle when we go to Tromsø and Alta in Norway next month. Obviously we will cross back on the return voyage but I can't imagine getting a second certificate.

Nope.

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I should have explained I guess.  It was our 60-night trip all the way around S.A.  (FLL round trip).  The voyage was also sold as segments, so they had the ceremony heading south along the east coast and again heading north along the west coast.  Attended the first one for a short while to see what the fuss was about.  For the second one, the certificates appeared in the cabin.

51 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We got a certificate but it was printed out and given to us by one of our fellow cruisers, not from Princess!  We did the whole ceremony on deck and I kissed a fish and took a dunk in the pool to make it official!

fullsizeoutput_51ee.jpeg

Edited by suzyed

3 hours ago, suzyed said:

We got a certificate but it was printed out and given to us by one of our fellow cruisers, not from Princess!  We did the whole ceremony on deck and I kissed a fish and took a dunk in the pool to make it official!

Way fancier and detailed than the one handed out in Winter 2018.

6 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Way fancier and detailed than the one handed out in Winter 2018.

Yep!

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

I know where mine is...it stayed on the ship.:classic_ohmy:

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

Ooh Thrak I hope you will post a review after your cruise! 🙂

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

I hope we do!  We will find out soon enough!   Can't wait!

Everyone got certificates from Princess and there was a ceremony at the pool.  Representative volunteers (3 or 4) participated in the ceremony.  

On NCL, sailing to North Capp, they had a polar plunge to celebrate.  Certificate also given out.  Have fun.  It is pretty amazing.