Need help with room type for 3-4 adult travelers

MJ04

We are planning an Alaskan cruise for my mom (70 yrs. old), me (40), my daughter (20), and my cousin (21). My daughter isn't sure if she can get off work and won't know until the spring. She's willing to book if she can get her money refunded if she has to cancel. Do we get a suite or an extended balcony with bunk beds (if that is possible) or with a sofa bed and upper. I don't plan to spend much time in the room, mainly on the balcony or ship when sailing. I'm worried if we book two rooms and she can't go then one person is stuck by themselves. Would you recommend a suite or extended balcony? I have cruised to Alaska before with my husband in a regular balcony room. Thanks

It would certainly help to know which cruise line/ship you are considering, as not all lines have the same type cabins, even different classes of ships in one line may be different.  As for suites, unless you get a two bedroom suite, many suites require the 3/4 guests share a foldout sofabed.  EM

With four people I would not do less than a mini-suite on Princess.  Other cabins are small without seating.  On Carnival Spirit, I would do a cabin oceanview (OV) or better.  I have done Alaska twice on Princess in inside cabins, but the first time I was solo, and the second with my sister.  I like Princess for the wonderful naturalists onboard.  EM