Victoria BC Chinatown

No Uber in Victoria yet.  You can take either a shuttle or taxi from the cruise ship pier.  The shuttle will drop you off a few blocks from Chinatown (about 1000 block Government St) and of course the taxi can drop you off right in the middle of Chinatown. 

If you don't mind walking, I'd take the shuttle and walk up Government Street or along Wharf Street. It's an easy, level walk.  Victoria Chinatown is very small with an interesting history, but won't take much time unless there is something in particular you want to see or do there. 

I agree with Ell - Victoria's is not really a 'visit by itself' kind of Chinatown; there may be a lot of history but in the present it's extremely small! Personally I'd walk everywhere in Victoria - there's a pleasant suburban area, James Bay, between the pier and the inner harbour or else you can follow the water pretty much the whole way around and go via Fisherman's wharf.

If walking a couple of miles isn't feasible for you, take a cab - shuttles are horribly overpriced for all cruiselines in Victoria, so even if it's just the two of you you will save money and get dropped exactly where you want. You could also consider the little ferries - the Chinatown dock is just a couple of blocks away from Chinatown itself. Depending how old grandson is, you could stop into one of the oldest brewpubs on the way to or from as well, Swans on Pandora & Store - it's the one place I always visit when in Victoria! 😉

Couple of points:

~ Victoria's Chinatown is very small.... very. Is there something specific you are after?

~The shuttle bus from the pier is highly overpriced (IMO) at $15.00 USD per person. A taxi to the same place - The Fairmont Empress Hotel - is probably $10 for up to four people. This would be the most direct, least involved way.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

If you have time and it is of interest go see the Vancouver Police Museum.  It's not well known but has some very cool memoriably from major cases.    

It's certainly not a bad museum, albeit small, but it's not even close to being worth a ferry ride or plane flight to get to... this topic is about Chinatown in Victoria, not Vancouver 😉