Seasickness

OllieandMissie

Advised by whom?  We find sea bands to be miracle workers for us.  I view the patch as unpleasant to dangerous.  Many people seem to feel sure they are going to be seasick and arm themselves with everything available and never give themselves a chance to find out if they would have been seasick.  EM

Since Stugeron doesn't work for you, I'm guessing you've had previous problems with sea sickness? And I'm going to take a WAG that you live in the UK, so the usual recommendation for using Meclizine (Bonine or Dramamine Less Drowsy) won't work, since I don't believe it's available there. Scopolamine can have really nasty side effects, so you should probably speak with your family doctor about anti nauseants that are appropriate for you.

5 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Advised by whom?  We find sea bands to be miracle workers for us.  I view the patch as unpleasant to dangerous.  Many people seem to feel sure they are going to be seasick and arm themselves with everything available and never give themselves a chance to find out if they would have been seasick.  EM

Rather than just hit "like" I want to affirm what you wrote. I've known people who medicate etc. themselves without ever knowing if they were going to have a problem.  We were on a 100 pax ship in the Norwegian fjords with no stabilizers and a good storm where I would slide from the bottom to the top of the berth with no problem.

IMG_6880 - Edited.jpg

Husband used to take Stugeron, although he's a rare sufferer of sea sickness, but once forgot to take pills with him, so we obtained Avomine from reception- this was on a P&O ship. I later heard that Avomine is used by the ship's doctor on that line, for the injection for very sea sick passengers.

He now prefers that, as it doesn't make him so drowsy. 

But, as I say, he rarely suffers, only in certain conditions of ship and wind direction.

Your GP would know more about meds for you.

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Meclizine can make one very dizzy.

You might want to do a little research before posting about things you don't know anything about.

Meclizine is USED TO TREAT VERTIGO (dizziness). 

Dizziness is NOT a side effect of meclizine.

Seriously, Google is your friend.

8 minutes ago, brillohead said:

You might want to do a little research before posting about things you don't know anything about.

Meclizine is USED TO TREAT VERTIGO (dizziness). 

Seriously, Google is your friend.

I have suffered from Post Traumatic Vertigo for 9 years. Meclizine was prescribed to me and getting dizzy caused me to fall.I have fallen 36 times.According to the manufacturer of the medication side effects include possible rash,itching,swelling,severe dizziness or trouble breathing.That is from a Google search.

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have suffered from Post Traumatic Vertigo for 9 years. Meclizine was prescribed to me and getting dizzy caused me to fall.I have fallen 36 times.According to the manufacturer of the medication side effects include possible rash,itching,swelling,severe dizziness or trouble breathing.That is from a Google search.

Source?

12 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I googled Meclizine side effects and that is what I found.On another site I found possible blurred vision,dry mouth,constipation,dizziness,drowsiness,headache,vomiting,tiredness.

And I'm asking you to list your source -- show us the website / link for this information.

I do not have the ability to do a link.Due to a disability I cannot use a computer.The keys are too hard for me to press.I use a special kid nd of I-Pad and a special stylus.

The only thing I can tell you is that I googled Meclizine.You can do that as well.

There are pages of different sites about side effects.One is Common Side Effects  Of Meclizine Drug center.

This is not a personal experience but a friend of mine said her daughter was extremely seasick and had acupuncture on the ship and recovered within 2 hours.

I am bringing ginger pills, Bonine and sea bands on my cruise which is my first in 20 years. If I do get sick and none of those work, I’m going to try acupuncture for sure!

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I do not have the ability to do a link.Due to a disability I cannot use a computer.The keys are too hard for me to press.I use a special kid nd of I-Pad and a special stylus.

The only thing I can tell you is that I googled Meclizine.You can do that as well.

There are pages of different sites about side effects.One is Common Side Effects  Of Meclizine Drug center.

I have done it.  I'm also an RN.

Dizziness is NOT a common side effect of meclizine.  

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

I have done it.  I'm also an RN.

Dizziness is NOT a common side effect of meclizine.  

Doesn’t have to be common for it to happen to people. There are many drugs which list possible side effects to be exactly what the drug is designed to prevent. Everyone is different and I will listen to my pharmacist over any RN.

14 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Doesn’t have to be common for it to happen to people. There are many drugs which list possible side effects to be exactly what the drug is designed to prevent. Everyone is different and I will listen to my pharmacist over any RN.

I didn't say it had to be common to happen.  Anyone can have an adverse reaction to anything at any time.

However, the person I was discussing it with DID state that it was a COMMON side effect (see quote below), and it most certainly is NOT a common side effect.  

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

2 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I didn't say it had to be common to happen.  Anyone can have an adverse reaction to anything at any time.

However, the person I was discussing it with DID state that it was a COMMON side effect (see quote below), and it most certainly is NOT a common side effect.  

According to the Google site ,it is. I am sure that you have access to Mosby’s Nursing Drug Reference.Look it up .

3 hours ago, brillohead said:

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Meclizine can make one very dizzy.

45 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I didn't say it had to be common to happen.  Anyone can have an adverse reaction to anything at any time

It is a listed side effect, common or otherwise. Irrelevant if it happens to you.

22 hours ago, OllieandMissie said:

I’ve been advised that Scopolamine patches are best but will need to get them from my GP and alcohol is banned with them! Stugeron ( cinnarizine) don’t work and Dramamine only available in USA. Sea-bands, ginger etc are hopeless! Any suggestions gratefully received! 

I did not like the patch.  It has been several years since I wore them, but I didn’t feel well using the patch.  I switched to Bonine.  It seemed to work better for me.