Country music on Carnival

Honolulu Blue

Hello fellow cruisers!  I have a cruise sailing out of Galveston next month, and I was curious about the country music scene on board ships that sail from there (and possibly New Orleans and Mobile).  I can tell you from my experiences sailing from Florida that there is little, if any, country influence on those ships.

I'm thinking about all the ways country could make its way on board, including:

* Piped in music in common areas and the MDR

* Country-themed shows in the main theater

* Live country bands on Lido and in the lobby

* Country music trivia

* Line dancing lessons (and other similar dances)

* Comedians with a country influence

* Understanding of cowboy boots and 10-gallon hats in the MDR

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful and informed answers to my query.

11 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

There is already a country themed show. "Country Roads". Not sure what answer you're looking for though, since you didn't ask a question. 

Thanks for the show note.  Is it a Playlist show?  I can't recall it on any of my other sailings.

Anyway, I apologize for not making my question more obvious.  Let's do that now:

In what ways does country music make its influence known on Carnival ships, especially those that sail out of Galveston?

Last week on the Breeze we had a duo called High Dynamics playing in one of the venues on deck 5 and also the Atrium. I don't usually care for country music but my husband and I really enjoyed these two young people with their very talented style and voices. They do have a FaceBook page if you would like to see their itinerary with Carnival.

• Like 3

As a hardcore country music fan that goes to a lot of concerts your best bet will be live music around the ship and hope you find someone that's average. Karaoke as someone mentioned typically will have a lot of country songs and leaving from Texas should raise the % a little bit of hearing country songs. The few production shows I've seen on various lines were very rough and full of stereotypes. I will be on the breeze soon so hopefully that one will be better. I would have your music downloaded on your phone for when your laying around the ship.

Thanks everyone.  I forgot about karaoke.

It's funny that the Breeze was mentioned here as that will be my next cruise after the one that sails out of Galveston (on the Freedom).  Also...

8 minutes ago, Towel Critter said:

We just got off of the Miracle yesterday. I was surprised to hear predominantly country music playing in the buffet area all day, every day. I'm not making any sort of statement here, one way or the other, I'm just reporting. (man, if only news outlets could do that!) :-)

Noted.

• Like 1

When I sailed on the Magic out of Galveston in 2014 there was quite a bit of country music being played.  We really enjoyed it.  However, we sailed out of Galveston on the Breeze a few years ago and there wasn't much country at all.  Sailing out of southern Florida and New Orleans we heard almost none at all.  The music sometimes was so bad that we did not want to sit anywhere near the pool area. 

We were pleased when we sailed out of Port Canaveral earlier this month because the general music selection was the best we have heard.  There weren't very many country songs played near the pool, but the music selection was very good.  They do have a theater country show, but the song choices and male vocals were not very good.  The lead female singers were very good though.  But whoever made the song choices for that show probably was not a country music fan.  The Breeze did have a pair of country singers who played in the ocean plaza, atrium area, and one of the bars.  They were very good and we really enjoyed them.

It seems like there's quite a bit of it out of Galveston and New Orleans. I've seen country bands play. I've seen the country road show. I've seen country music in the night club...I'd say go earlier because they switched to hip hop later.

You may want to look at the Freedom Fun Times I have from June. It looks like they had a band in the Red Frog Pub that played different music each night. One night was country. I also see country line dancing in the atrium on the last sea day.

https://saintgregtravel.com/fun-times/

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2

If they play current country then I doubt the non country fans would even notice....there is really no difference in country and Pop these days...pretty much same beat and tune every song with snap and clap tracks, fiddle and steel guitar are rarely heard. I prefer classic rock and traditional country music over any new stuff, I guess I am getting old. 

• Like 6

We sailed on the Magic recently out of Port Everglades and there was some country music referenced. They had 2 different country music trivia games, the one in the atrium was a lot of fun with dancing and group games. We also had the playlist production of Country Roads but I believe on that ship it is only performed on 8 day sailings. We remember a couple years ago there was a lot more country played on the Lido deck but not so much anymore. In the common areas there were just occasional country songs in the rotation of piped in music. We did not have any live country bands during our cruise. Hope you find some place to kick up your boots on your ship. Happy sailing!

Edited by WhyIsTheRumGone23

You may want to look into a specialty cruise.  We went on a Blues Cruise several years ago and it was great, that is, if you were a blues fan.  I'm am sure there's a country music cruise out there somewhere.  Put me in the "my ears would bleed" if country music was played predominantly on a cruise I was on (can't stand the twangy voices), but I know lots of people that hate the blues too.

7 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Hello fellow cruisers!  I have a cruise sailing out of Galveston next month, and I was curious about the country music scene on board ships that sail from there (and possibly New Orleans and Mobile).  I can tell you from my experiences sailing from Florida that there is little, if any, country influence on those ships.

I'm thinking about all the ways country could make its way on board, including:

* Piped in music in common areas and the MDR

* Country-themed shows in the main theater

* Live country bands on Lido and in the lobby

* Country music trivia

* Line dancing lessons (and other similar dances)

* Comedians with a country influence

* Understanding of cowboy boots and 10-gallon hats in the MDR

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful and informed answers to my query.

Honolulu Blue

In response to your thoughts, here are a few of mine-

*Piped In music- keep in mind that there are hundreds of fellow passengers sharing the common areas and the MDR. Some will be fans of the music,some will not be fans. An eclectic mix,including some country music may be a good idea.

*Country themed shows in the main theater- again, all passengers are not all fans of country music. Such a theme may appeal only to a minority. Maybe one country music type show could be performed in the theater per cruise.

*Live country bands on Lido and the lobby (atrium)- that seems to be okay as long as other type bands/ music shared the venues.

* Country music trivia- sure,why not? A few games during the cruise would be good.

* Line dancing lessons- This may  be presently done on Carnival ships. I have seen/ participated in such dance lessons on Princess. Check your daily newsletter to see if such classes are beinheld on your cruise.

*Comedian with a country influence- sure,why not- just not every night,as a variety in comedy would probably be more appealing.

*Cowboy boots and 10 gallon hats in the MDR- now,you got me with this one. The boots would be a welcome change from funky sandals and scruffy sneakers ( that is if passengers wear them to the MDR),but 10 gallon hats ?

It could be just a matter of custom, but IMHO,I do not think any kind of a hat on a gentleman is acceptable at a dinner table.

Just another thought. You could research a country music themed cruise. Many times cruise ships are chartered by companies for such a purpose. 

You may enjoy a cruise where you will be immersed in country music during the entire cruise and have the opportunity to meet country music musicians.

• Like 1

Really It seems that every cruise I have been on ( always from Galveston) there has always been some country music here and there. Usually some trivia with C/W theme, and the different venues where there is live music there it is usually a variety that includes some country music mixed in. Same with karaoke, there is always a broad spectrum of music represented there. Country music is not really highlighted but isn't totally ignored either. I enjoy some of all genres and always find plenty of musical entertainment to my liking. 

• Like 1

In February on the Valor out of Galveston (now sailing from New Orleans), the piped in music in the Serenity area was nearly always country. May have been a coincidence, but I was there at several different times of the day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks for the show note.  Is it a Playlist show?  I can't recall it on any of my other sailings.

Anyway, I apologize for not making my question more obvious.  Let's do that now:

In what ways does country music make its influence known on Carnival ships, especially those that sail out of Galveston?

The "Country Road" Playlist Production show is held on the Breeze, Fantasy, Magic, and Valor. Songs by artists like Blake Shelton, Rascal Flatts, Patsy Cline, Florida Georgia Line and more.

We saw a comedian named Killer Beaz aboard the Glory last year. He's originally from Alabama and incorporates some "country life" type stories into his comedy bits. Being country folk ourselves, we thought he was very funny and could relate. He's been featured on the Discovery show, Moonshiners because he's friends with a couple of the guys on there from Tennessee.

Karaoke is a good answer because country music can often be easier for non-singers to sing, so it gets picked a lot.

I wouldn't mind hearing some good country music onboard either. To be more specific, I'm talking about country music and not this modern pop-country stuff. Pretty much anything past the 90's and you lose me.

Edited by Organized Chaos

Galveston basically equals country music, one of the many reasons it's our least favorite port to sail out of. Despite my username, I prefer hip hop and top 40. Lol NOLA and Miami tend to have less countrified passengers/music in our experience, but unfortunately Carnival seems to be moving away from party bands in favor of string bands, so I guess it doesn't really matter anymore. 🙄