Nanaimo bars

Most bakeries, cafes, and even sammich and coffee shops in the city sell Nanaimo bars (unless the bakery is heavily marketing themselves as a specific ethnic style or are obviously super froo-froo with nothing but macarons and patisserie in the window). I wouldn't go looking for them specifically, instead wherever you're heading to for sightseeing just check out the coffee places and bakeries you pass - if you just want to sample what they're like at minimal expense then hit the first supermarket you see, probably Urban Fare or Nesters depending if you head up toward Stanley Park or down into Gastown respectively.

I'm afraid that between my diabetes and the ludicrous amount of sugar in a Nanaimo bar it's not something I can give you a personal opinion on whether there's a noticeable difference in taste between different suppliers!

• Like 1

Personally, I don't recall a lot of places selling Nanaimo bars downtown but it's not like we're always on the lookout for them.  When in downtown, we normally go to a chain called Breka but they don't seem to sell them.  

Urban Fare definitely sells them.  The missus' team at work received a dessert tray from Urban Fare as a gift last week that included a few Nanaimo bars.  She brought a few leftovers home, including a Nanaimo bar.  I only thought it was meh but it did sit out on a table for half the afternoon.  

We went for a walk downtown tonight and dropped in the Urban Fare by Coal Harbour on the way back to the car/Breka.  They had one Nanaimo bar for $2.50 which is pretty reasonable IMO.  (Not sure why the glass over the price tag was translucent.) 

IMG_20190916_213448.thumb.jpg.ab06a3b4116a1e0a9be979cd81077d93.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  We tried several bakeries and markets in downtown- no luck just people saying that generally get them at holidays And that they bring back fond memories??   We ended up finding them at the food shops on Granville island market... 2 vendors had them. We tried the original from 1 store, then a pistachio one from a different store.    They looked really sweet- so for 4 of us, we bought 2 of each kind so that we could split them.

we all agreed that the original bars are best.... as is the graham cracker / coconut crust  instead of the brownie/coco nutty crust.   Pistachios over power the whole thing.

we were glad we split them- pistachio one was smaller as these were REALLY sweet!!  Good... but SWEET.  

i did enjoy joy them and found a few recipes to try back home.

For locals following this thread, I have found the best commercial Nanaimo Bars come from Thrifty Foods bakery. They are sold in 6 packs, but as stated above, work very well when cut/divided. Some are not quite sweet enough, some are too cloyingly sweet.... in my opinion, these ones are just right. 😊 But yes.... mainly at Christmas time.

• Like 2

I love Thrifty's but they don't have locations that convenient for us.  Going to have to pick up a set to try the next time we're near one.  

We typically go to the Valley Bakery on Hastings in Burnaby to pick up a variety of small desserts including a couple Nanaimo bars to bring to parties or family gatherings.  

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 1:37 PM, Langley Cruisers said:

Awesome, thanks both! 👍

Their cakes are amazing too!!!  One of the few places to still get a great Diplomat cake. 

Edited by ell52
  • Like 2