I cruise because...

scrotser

Some countries that are really hard to cruise to are Andorra, San Marino, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Congo, Rwanda, Uganda, Chad, Niger, Mali, Serbia, Belarus, Azerbajan, and many more.

Then there are many places within nearly every country that you cannot cruise to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clo said:

So you can only go there on cruises?  I'm surprised.  Can you provide citations to support that?  Thanks.

Maybe saying there is no alternative transport was perhaps an exaggeration but certain places cruising can end up being the easier or cheaper way to get there. Like Pitcairn you can fly to Papeete then take an expensive flight to Gambier and then take a really overpriced freighter to Adamstown or you could do a cruise that stops there and still visit a few other islands on the way for probably the same price to do it as independent travel. Sometimes a cruise is just the logical and most practical option so sometimes it feels like the only option. 

On 9/18/2019 at 7:44 AM, cruisemom42 said:

....because I enjoy the feeling of "casting off" from the shore, heading to new places and "parts unknown" (at least to me).

I miss the "old days" (really, really old days) of casting off when it was a big deal, even a community event.

boat.jpg

I spent my early years growing up in Honolulu and being at the Aloha Tower for "Boat Day", when a new ship would arrive was a big deal. The Royal Hawaiian Band would play as the ship slipped in and when the ship left again. As the ship left, those on board and onshore were given streamers to throw as the ship started to move.

Those were the days my friends.....

• Like 1

Lots of great answers:classic_biggrin:

I agree with so many of them.  I love cruising too.  I travel solo and find it to be a very, VERY easy way to travel (speaking for myself only).  Unpack once and see lots of places.   Someone is making me really good food and delicious libations:classic_biggrin:.

I also find myself being able to unwind and love being on the water.  Sitting on a lounger watching the wake....it is

very peaceful (again, this is just my take on it). 

And I will be retiring next year and will finally be able to sail some itineraries I have not be able to do because of the timing.

I cannot be gone at month end:classic_rolleyes: due to work...now? I already have my retirement cruise booked! 25 nights....TA crossing and another cruise behind it....middle of April through the middle of May:classic_biggrin: should be awesome!!!!

I love cruising for so many different reasons!!!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Maybe saying there is no alternative transport was perhaps an exaggeration but certain places cruising can end up being the easier or cheaper way to get there. Like Pitcairn you can fly to Papeete then take an expensive flight to Gambier and then take a really overpriced freighter to Adamstown or you could do a cruise that stops there and still visit a few other islands on the way for probably the same price to do it as independent travel. Sometimes a cruise is just the logical and most practical option so sometimes it feels like the only option. 

Makes sense.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Does your knowledge extend to the definition of pettiness?

There's nothing petty about pointing out to those who don't know that flying to Antarctica is, for most people, financially and logistically difficult.  We were there last year on a small enough ship to actually disembark rather than just 'cruise-by' so it's a subject that was discussed.  We all learned a lot.

4 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

A number of people find your nit picking in this topic a little something....  petty seems the closest.

Head to the Little Wal for a cold one and chill 🙂

If one's mind is closed to alternatives then I suppose I can see that.

On 9/16/2019 at 11:44 AM, scrotser said:
  • I like unpacking once
  • Because I like seeing many different places without having to figure out the logistics of getting from one place to another
  • Because my family, and our different taste buds, can all be happy with the food selection
  • Because my favorite color is Caribbean Blue
  • Because it's hard to find a better vacation value for the money
  • Because I like experiencing a taste of other cultures

Why do you cruise??

I cruise because it is the only way that I can travel.

• Like 1

I find some of this discussion is out there:classic_wacko:....I am quite open minded about lots of things in life and cruising is the best way for me to travel.  I didn't realize that is being close minded.   I choose what I love to do.:classic_biggrin:..….

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Pitcairn Island is a bad example, as they rarely allow cruisers to get off there.

12 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I miss the "old days" (really, really old days) of casting off when it was a big deal, even a community event.

boat.jpg

I spent my early years growing up in Honolulu and being at the Aloha Tower for "Boat Day", when a new ship would arrive was a big deal. The Royal Hawaiian Band would play as the ship slipped in and when the ship left again. As the ship left, those on board and onshore were given streamers to throw as the ship started to move.

Those were the days my friends.....

In some ports they would be doing this for several ships every day now.

3 hours ago, clo said:

There's nothing petty about pointing out to those who don't know that flying to Antarctica is, for most people, financially and logistically difficult.  We were there last year on a small enough ship to actually disembark rather than just 'cruise-by' so it's a subject that was discussed.  We all learned a lot.

I agree, getting to Antarctica can be financialy and logistically difficult, especially by plane but it is done.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 6:58 AM, Hlitner said:

I (we) cruise because being on a ship is like a 2nd home.  We now spend 20-25% of our time on cruise ships and DW has actually remarked, as we were walking aboard a cruise ship, "we are home."  As to the reasons, there are so many (including most all mentioned above) but I think that our love of the sea is paramount.  In fact we once joked that we would enjoy a 6 month cruise of sea days.  On some of our long cruises it seems like we almost resent the port days which take us away from our beloved sea day relaxation routine.

Hank

I can only dream to do that much cruising 😃

Had  a conversation today about flight costs while having a pedicure.  Prices are all over the map for flights depending on where you live.  

I live in Vancouver Canada and I was able to book a flight from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale for $400 per person. 

On on a good deal Vancouver to Newfoundland is $750 per person.  *****

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

I find some of this discussion is out there:classic_wacko:....I am quite open minded about lots of things in life and cruising is the best way for me to travel.  I didn't realize that is being close minded.   I choose what I love to do.:classic_biggrin:..….

An alternative is just that.  It doesn't mean one is better than the other.  It's an alternative.  And I hope most people are open to alternatives.  And as len wrote above some people are limited.

50 minutes ago, kdkstormy said:

Had  a conversation today about flight costs while having a pedicure.  Prices are all over the map for flights depending on where you live.  

I live in Vancouver Canada and I was able to book a flight from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale for $400 per person. 

On on a good deal Vancouver to Newfoundland is $750 per person.  *****

True.  I can tell that you shop around as I do.  Sometimes we fly out of SEA and sometimes SFO.  Sometimes points, sometimes $$$ and sometimes both.  And sometimes connections, how many and how long.

On 9/22/2019 at 7:36 AM, MicCanberra said:

Pitcairn Island is a bad example, as they rarely allow cruisers to get off there.

There are non traditional cruises like Aranui that go to Pitcairn on a more regular basis than the mass market lines and they still can end up being more cost effective than trying to do it yourself. 

On 9/20/2019 at 11:34 PM, clo said:

Where other than Antarctica?  And that's due to a treaty.

Well, you can't transverse the Panama Canal (or any canal or locks) unless you are on a cruise.  Sure, you can drive to see them, walk alongside them, but it's not the same.  You could make the same argument for visiting fjords.  Seeing them from above is just not going to be the same.

I'd also say that while some cruises are drive bys, others require a level of activity that I wouldn't wait until I'm older for.  It's why we are planning on cruising Antarctica within months of retirement, and will probably go to the Galapagos before we retire.

• Like 1