Looking for a good tour company for LA.

holdon216

I'll be watching with interest - I have a similar predicament but with 2 hours more time.  I'm considering maybe using the Disney transportation at the airport and going to Disneyland for the day.  Will be discussing plans this weekend with the people I'm traveling with for the days pre and post cruise.

I actually saw someone take a helicopter tour of the LAX area, including overflying the airfield, that cuold be really interesting.

Edited by hallux

For what they charge - their website could be better.  Grammar mistakes, template text still on the page, the menus can be difficult to read.

The tour looks cool and might be worth the $150pp but that still leaves me and my companions with 4 hours to kill before we need to be at LAX.  We could spend $110pp plus transportation and go to Disneyland, while probably killing more time.

3 hours ago, hallux said:

We could spend $110pp plus transportation and go to Disneyland, while probably killing more time.

And what would you do with your luggage? I don't think even the biggest lockers at Disneyland would handle "cruise sized" luggage and there is no guarantee that one would be available when you arrive. If you rented a car, that solves the luggage problem, but adds layers of complication.

If you have four or more people, you might get the Anaheim Tour Co to do a custom tour for you.

19 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

And what would you do with your luggage?

There's at least one company offering storage.  $22 per bag with airport pickup/drop-off.  Contemplating renting a car, all a discussion for when I meet with my travel companions...

4 hours ago, hallux said:

We could spend $110pp plus transportation and go to Disneyland, while probably killing more time.

Sunday is one of the busiest days year round at Disneyland as it caters mostly to locals-- getting off the ship at 8am, over to Anaheim by 9:15 and in the park by 10am (if all goes smoothly) that would leave you with about 7 hours in the park before you'd have to leave no later than 5-530pm for your 9pm flight at LAX. Doesn't leave you with much time given how crowded the park might actually be. You can check your bags at one of the hotels quite easily-- they dont really check if you've had a room-- but I would have your Uber not drop you off at the front entrance to those hotels as the gatehouse they do check if you are a guest. 

I prefer Disneyland to Universal, but you might actually have more time in the park if you did Universal if you were interested in doing a theme park. 

3 minutes ago, hallux said:

My flight is at 11:30...

Even then, you'll need to leave the park around 7-730pm to get your bags and on the way to LAX by 7:30-8 to be there by 9. About 9 hours in the park and on a Sunday you'll have lines in the 45-60 min range for the major attractions. All good if that works for you-- we just tend to avoid the place on Sundays when we're in town because of the number of locals that go there, especially in the afternoon when it gets really busy. 

4 hours ago, hallux said:

There's at least one company offering storage.  $22 per bag with airport pickup/drop-off.  Contemplating renting a car, all a discussion for when I meet with my travel companions...

I know luggage companies who will pick up bags at LAX, store the bags and return them to you that same day (they go by the confusing name of LAX Luggage Storage), but ever since Luggage Express went under I don't know of anyone picking up at San Pedro or Long Beach, storing and delivering later to LAX.

Please share the name if you've found someone who will, this is an oft asked question.

50 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

San Pedro or Long Beach, storing and delivering later to LAX.

Our plan (or mine anyway) has been to use LAX as a "base".  We have airport transfers so we were going to utilize that to get back to the airport then jump off from there.  We considered Uber and such but 3 of us would need an XL so the cost was close to or more than what we're paying for the cruise line transfers, and Super Shuttle isn't much less either.

Edited by hallux

2 hours ago, hallux said:

Our plan (or mine anyway) has been to use LAX as a "base".  We have airport transfers so we were going to utilize that to get back to the airport then jump off from there.  We considered Uber and such but 3 of us would need an XL so the cost was close to or more than what we're paying for the cruise line transfers, and Super Shuttle isn't much less either.

So your plan is to go to LAX from San Pedro the morning your cruise arrives back, have the luggage storage people come get your bags, THEN go to Anaheim and Disneyland? And then go back to LAX and have the luggage delivered?

On 9/17/2019 at 9:08 PM, hallux said:

Disney was just a thought, an option.  We're all adults, we may do something else.  I do see why that option doesn't make a ton of sense when you consider travel times from one place to the next.

/thread hijack...

Alls good! I was asking for a relative. Thanks for the above info. I’ll pass it on.