Cabin location crossing the Tasman Sea

Ronales

My husband and I are booked on an Auckland to Sydney cruise on the Regent Explorer. While I have had  seasickness in years past, since wearing the patch, I have not had a problem. We generally book a Penthouse cabin and in this case have booked Penthouse A. We generally book a cabin midship on the 9th deck. This time my husband wanted to try the 14th deck for a new experience. Thus, we did so, but in reading about the Tasman Sea crossing, I became concerned regarding how rough this crossing can be. What are your thoughts? Should we change our cabin deck placement or enjoy the 14th deck?? Thank you for your input.

Cabins lower down in a ship are definitely more stable. I can recall one cruise many years ago when our cabin was a few decks directly above the cabin my parents were in. Because we occasionally visited the other cabin, the difference in the movement was very noticeable. Cabins at the front of the ship move more than those in the middle. Aft cabins also have more movement, but in rough seas, these are not as bad as cabins right at the front.

Only you can decide if it will be a problem for you. We have cruised Aust-NZ many times (8-10) and have never had really bad seas. The ship's captain will alter course to avoid the worst of the weather if he can, but sometimes they have to go through it to get to their destination.

• Like 1

I am not sure what to say, the Tasman can be rough and it can be smooth, we have had more smooth sailings than rough but it is luck of the draw what the seas will do. I think if you take your normal precautions for sea sickness, you will be fine. I would be enjoying the penthouse and not dwelling on the seas may be, it is out of your control so no use stressing about it.