How much medical coverage for overseas trips?

LoriPhil

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm trying to determine how much medical-only insurance is reasonable for an overseas cruise.  Right now I have about $70K total via Princess Platinum plus a Medicare supplemental policy with overseas coverage.  Also have Med-Jet Assist for medical evacuation.  I'll be 67 when we travel, but know that medical emergencies can strike at any age.

Help!  I'm venturing out on our first Caribbean cruise since my retirement, and no longer have my cushy corporate insurance.  I didn't think about the medical side until long past our initial trip deposit, so trying to determine if I need to bite the bullet and pay for another layer of medical coverage.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Your Medicare supplement policy gives you $50k coverage - note that is a LIFETIME limit, not per trip - so it appears you have $120k in coverage.  That is more than a lot of policies provide.  With MedJet assist, it seems you are in good shape for a Caribbean trip.  Next time you might want to buy coverage within the timeframe to cover pre-existing conditions (usually about two weeks after the first payment you make on the trip) and also get primary coverage to avoid finger-pointing between carriers.

On 9/16/2019 at 6:27 PM, LoriPhil said:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm trying to determine how much medical-only insurance is reasonable for an overseas cruise.  Right now I have about $70K total via Princess Platinum plus a Medicare supplemental policy with overseas coverage.  Also have Med-Jet Assist for medical evacuation.  I'll be 67 when we travel, but know that medical emergencies can strike at any age.

Help!  I'm venturing out on our first Caribbean cruise since my retirement, and no longer have my cushy corporate insurance.  I didn't think about the medical side until long past our initial trip deposit, so trying to determine if I need to bite the bullet and pay for another layer of medical coverage.

Thanks for your thoughts!

A couple of comments...

First, you can get 3rd party insurance (from at least one good vendor) even if you've missed the window right around that initial deposit, although that's usually best.

We had to get that once when we made a deposit for a trip we *really* did not expect to take, but we wanted to reserve a particular suite in case we did go.  And sure enough, we decided to go.  So at least we were able to get good coverage that included pre-existng conditions.

You might be fine now with the Princess coverage, but I'd recommend that you at least double check/compare with third-party policies, which can have better coverage, although it might cost more (might not!?), at least for future trips.

DH is still employed, although way past regular Medicare age, so although I've looked into some Medicare issues, we haven't looked deeply... yet. (We'll later have retiree heath insurance, which I understand will sort of replace Medicare supplements/etc., for us).

To coordinate with Medicare and various supplements/etc., you might want to speak with 

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

Here is a link to TIS's summary about coordinating coverage:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/medicare-does-not-cover-you-outside-the-usa/

But I'd strongly suggest that you *CALL* them to discuss which Medicare supplement you have, and also what your insurance needs are likely to be (your health, state of residence, age, other family members, etc.).

They are terrific about answering questions, and patiently!  We've learned so much.

We learned about them here on CC, and thank goodness, because we've had several claims! TIS helped us find policies that were best for our particular needs, including that time we missed the regular earlier deadline to start the coverage.

(We just cashed a check for 5 figures when we had to cancel a trip at the last minute because very elderly MIL landed in the ER with heart trouble.  She's okay now, albeit more fragile, but when we realized we wouldn't even have some critical test results back by the time we were supposed to fly off, her physician recommended that we not go.  It was a huge disappointment, but MIL's situation was more important.  We feel sort of lucky that nothing like this has happened before to interfere with our recent travels.)

We also have been getting MedJetAssist, just in case, but that's a coverage we *really* hope we never need to use!

(Don't forget about the AARP discount.)

Enjoy your trip!

GC