Tipping questions hopefully unique ones

trishtoro

Hi

We leave for our first European adventure on Thursday! We’ll have 2 nights in Barcelona, then a 9 night cruise on the Celebrity Constellation, followed by 2 nights in Rome.

As an American of course I’m used to tipping. I understand that there is no tipping in Europe. 

My questions are

I am assuming the porter that takes our luggage at the cruise terminal is a Celebrity employee? Do I tip them since I am tipping on the cruise ship or will they be European and not expecting a tip?

The other question I had is about additional gratuities on the ship in addition to our prepaid for our butler, cabin steward, waitstaff etc.... US dollars? Euros? Either or?

Thanks!

Trish

36 minutes ago, trishtoro said:

Hi

We leave for our first European adventure on Thursday! We’ll have 2 nights in Barcelona, then a 9 night cruise on the Celebrity Constellation, followed by 2 nights in Rome.

As an American of course I’m used to tipping. I understand that there is no tipping in Europe. 

My questions are

I am assuming the porter that takes our luggage at the cruise terminal is a Celebrity employee? Do I tip them since I am tipping on the cruise ship or will they be European and not expecting a tip?

The other question I had is about additional gratuities on the ship in addition to our prepaid for our butler, cabin steward, waitstaff etc.... US dollars? Euros? Either or?

Thanks!

Trish

The days of "no tipping" are long gone. In many foreign eateries (European or otherwise), there are  now suggested 12%+\-  tip lines to accept/reject on the credit card swipers when settling your bill.

For onboard end-of-cruise gratuities, we use whatever foreign money we have that is left over to which we add USD if needed. Crew will have their own DIY exchange for the "funny money."

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The days of "no tipping" are long gone. In many foreign eateries (European or otherwise), there are  now suggested 12%+\-  tip lines to accept/reject on the credit card swipers when settling your bill.

For onboard end-of-cruise gratuities, we use whatever foreign money we have that is left over to which we add USD if needed. Crew will have their own DIY exchange for the "funny money."

Oh now I’m really confused. I’ve read on these boards that it is rude to tip in Europe 🤷🏻‍♀️

That’s what I was thinking.... I could unload my leftover Euros by using them as tips on the ship

44 minutes ago, trishtoro said:

Hi

As an American of course I’m used to tipping. I understand that there is no tipping in Europe. There is definitely tipping in Europe. Just not as much as in the US. Sometimes it is rounding up the bill a couple of Euros. Other times it is a small percentage. But far less than in the US. And this varies by country. Some reading on the Ports boards for the countries you are visiting would be very beneficial.

My questions are

I am assuming the porter that takes our luggage at the cruise terminal is a Celebrity employee? Do I tip them since I am tipping on the cruise ship or will they be European and not expecting a tip? The person who takes your bag in the Terminal is almost always a port employee, not a cruise line employee. This is true in the US as well.

The other question I had is about additional gratuities on the ship in addition to our prepaid for our butler, cabin steward, waitstaff etc.... US dollars? Euros? Either or? Any additional money will always be accepted, no matter the currency. 

Thanks!

Trish

See comments above.

As a very vague guide, tipping  in Europe is at about half the level of the USA,,

but .........

- we don't tip baggage handlers at the port.

- we don't tip bar staff.

- we don't tip in restaurants etc that add a "service charge" (most in the UK don't, but  it's very common, at around 12 - 15%, in tourist areas like central London) . Around 5% to 10% is normal for full-service, but in places (mainly pubs) where you order at the bar, collect your own cutlery,  pay at the cash register etc, a lower tip or no tip is normal. 

- tipping tour guides is normal - 5% to 10%

- tipping  private transfer drivers is normal (for example £5 to £10 total for a driver from ship to airport ), tipping taxis is usually just rounding-up the fare. 

But the big differences are that that ...........

- tips are earned by good service, and a bigger tip is earned by going the extra mile. But below-par service warrants zlich.

- tips are much lower than in the States, about half what you'd give in the USA.

- tips aren't the big deal that they are in the States.  If you don't tip (and many Brits don't, as a matter of principle), nobody's going to chase you down the road with a meat cleaver :classic_wink:

One small point - if you're short of local currency, your own currency is fine for those (like tour guides)  who work with foreign visitors, but not much good to folk like wait staff  in places off the tourist trail.

As per the Flyer's post, tipping left-over foreign currency as an extra for ship's crew is a good way of using it up.

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John Bull said:

As a very vague guide, tipping  in Europe is at about half the level of the USA,,

but .........

- we don't tip baggage handlers at the port.

- we don't tip bar staff.

- we don't tip in restaurants etc that add a "service charge" (most in the UK don't, but  it's very common, at around 12 - 15%, in tourist areas like central London) . Around 5% to 10% is normal for full-service, but in places (mainly pubs) where you order at the bar, collect your own cutlery,  pay at the cash register etc, a lower tip or no tip is normal. 

- tipping tour guides is normal - 5% to 10%

- tipping  private transfer drivers is normal (for example £5 to £10 total for a driver from ship to airport ), tipping taxis is usually just rounding-up the fare. 

But the big differences are that that ...........

- tips are earned by good service, and a bigger tip is earned by going the extra mile. But below-par service warrants zlich.

- tips are much lower than in the States, about half what you'd give in the USA.

- tips aren't the big deal that they are in the States.  If you don't tip (and many Brits don't, as a matter of principle), nobody's going to chase you down the road with a meat cleaver :classic_wink:

One small point - if you're short of local currency, your own currency is fine for those (like tour guides)  who work with foreign visitors, but not much good to folk like wait staff  in places off the tourist trail.

As per the Flyer's post, tipping left-over foreign currency as an extra for ship's crew is a good way of using it up.

JB :classic_smile:

Thank you so much for all of this information 

Trish

20 hours ago, trishtoro said:

Oh now I’m really confused. I’ve read on these boards that it is rude to tip in Europe 🤷🏻‍♀️

Certainly never rude but, as other have said, there is much less of an expectation like you would get in the US with hotel and restaurant staff. I tend to round up in a taxi, give a few Euro to bag handlers (either at a hotel or dockside), and tip 12-15% in restaurants (but make sure that gratuities aren't already included in as they often are now). 

All that being said, there is more of an expectation among hotel/restaurant/taxi workers that you will tip if you are an American  (vs European traveller or local) and there is more expectation of a gratuity say in a nicer hotel/restaurant than in a more casual one-- so it is nuanced. You need to read the situation. 

19 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I have never tipped the luggage handlers in Europe.  However, I also never tip in the US as they are overpaid union longshoremen.

I'm sure they love you. 

4 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Certainly never rude but, as other have said, there is much less of an expectation like you would get in the US with hotel and restaurant staff. I tend to round up in a taxi, give a few Euro to bag handlers (either at a hotel or dockside), and tip 12-15% in restaurants (but make sure that gratuities aren't already included in as they often are now). 

All that being said, there is more of an expectation among hotel/restaurant/taxi workers that you will tip if you are an American  (vs European traveller or local) and there is more expectation of a gratuity say in a nicer hotel/restaurant than in a more casual one-- so it is nuanced. You need to read the situation. 

I'm sure they love you. 

I find their system to be less expensive than ours but all this is more confusing lol

We are going to 2 Michelin Star restaurants one in Barcelona one in Rome in either side of the cruise. I’ll look for added service charges but if not then from what you’re saying I should tip 10%?

Also we have a number of private drivers and tours (not taxis) These were expensive....some $1000 and up. 10% or just a few Euros?

38 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I'm sure they love you. 

I don't care as their hourly rate as members of the longshoreman's union is pretty good especially for someone who has  a job w no educational requirements.  And before anyone comments, my luggage has never been delivered to the wrong ship, lost or dropped into the drink.  I one really wants to tip someone who does most of the work getting your luggage to your room, most of the work is done by ship crew and not the longshoremen.

DON

39 minutes ago, trishtoro said:

We are going to 2 Michelin Star restaurants one in Barcelona one in Rome in either side of the cruise. I’ll look for added service charges but if not then from what you’re saying I should tip 10%?

No, unless tipping is included which it may be, I generally still tip 15% for good service and 20% for extraordinary service in Europe in a fine dining establishment like you're describing.

At a casual cafe or lounge you might round up your bill to the next Euro or at a full service restaurant (not fine dining) 10% is a very nice gesture for very good service (or nothing at all if it was lousy). 

44 minutes ago, trishtoro said:

Also we have a number of private drivers and tours (not taxis) These were expensive....some $1000 and up. 10% or just a few Euros?

Thats more at your discretion-- generally the gratuity will be included in that but always ask. 

12 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I don't care as their hourly rate as members of the longshoreman's union is pretty good especially for someone who has  a job w no educational requirements.  And before anyone comments, my luggage has never been delivered to the wrong ship, lost or dropped into the drink. 

I'm not even disagreeing with you-- just have always done it since its customary and have always thought in the back of my mind "what if" if I didn't. "What if" is a powerful motivator sometimes. 

3 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

No, unless tipping is included which it may be, I generally still tip 15% for good service and 20% for extraordinary service in Europe in a fine dining establishment like you're describing.

At a casual cafe or lounge you might round up your bill to the next Euro or at a full service restaurant (not fine dining) 10% is a very nice gesture for very good service (or nothing at all if it was lousy). 

Thats more at your discretion-- generally the gratuity will be included in that but always ask. 

Thank you once again

Hi I am a European and would never ever tip more than 10% for a meal even if it was a 'M*' restaurant.

I don't tip drivers and I would never tip a private tour guide I was paying €1000 to.

I don't tip hotel staff/cleaners, hairdresser, beauticians, porters, concierges (unless they really went out of their way) or bar staff. All these staff are paid a living wage or better. I feel no guilt in not tipping these people.

Also in Italy and Spain, they will often charge you for bread at the table & a service charge. If they do you don't have to leave a tip. Also in really popular tourist areas they sometimes charge you extra if you are sitting in a premium spot {like in St. Marks Piazza}, all these are like an added service charge, so be sure to check your bill.

Also in cafe some times you will see a plate, bowl, jar, cup by the cash register, this is a tip jar and is acceptable to add your change to the jar if you want to.

On group tours the driver/tour guide will often have a basket for tips, in these I would leave a couple of euros. If there were two of us, no more than €5.

When I pay for any service in Europe I expect that the cost of the service was included in the price I was quoted, this includes full compensation for the staff who performed the service.

In fact Europe has very strict rules about pricing in that the price you see is what you have to pay with nó hidden extras, this includes tips/service charges. If service charges are applicable these will be displayed on the menus or made clear before you purchase anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kerryincork said:

Hi I am a European and would never ever tip more than 10% for a meal even if it was a 'M*' restaurant.

I don't tip drivers and I would never tip a private tour guide I was paying €1000 to.

I don't tip hotel staff/cleaners, hairdresser, beauticians, porters, concierges (unless they really went out of their way) or bar staff. All these staff are paid a living wage or better. I feel no guilt in not tipping these people.

Also in Italy and Spain, they will often charge you for bread at the table & a service charge. If they do you don't have to leave a tip. Also in really popular tourist areas they sometimes charge you extra if you are sitting in a premium spot {like in St. Marks Piazza}, all these are like an added service charge, so be sure to check your bill.

Also in cafe some times you will see a plate, bowl, jar, cup by the cash register, this is a tip jar and is acceptable to add your change to the jar if you want to.

On group tours the driver/tour guide will often have a basket for tips, in these I would leave a couple of euros. If there were two of us, no more than €5.

When I pay for any service in Europe I expect that the cost of the service was included in the price I was quoted, this includes full compensation for the staff who performed the service.

In fact Europe has very strict rules about pricing in that the price you see is what you have to pay with nó hidden extras, this includes tips/service charges. If service charges are applicable these will be displayed on the menus or made clear before you purchase anything.

Wonderful information. Thank you

I recall boarding at Port Canaveral a few years ago (so it may have changed since then) there were large signs prominently displayed stating tips should not be given to the porters taking your luggage for loading. However when you have a porter, built like the Incredible Hulk, stood astride your cases, hand outstretched, it's kinda difficult to refuse

In Europe, they don 't expect a "percentage" as a tip...round up to the nearest Euro/dollar or even amount...and that's fine as a tip.

Here, in the USA, $1-2 per bag is ample for porters....I'd stick to that if needed when you're in another country....no more than that, tho.

Europe is NOT one country.  Tipping varies between countries in Europe.

In Denmark, tipping a waiter/waitress is considered rude and may get you a lecture.

Other countries, you round up to the next Euro or other currency.

Other countries it is up to 10%.  But, in most of the world, not more than 10%.

And check your bill for a service charge or automatic tip.  If there is one, NO extra tip.

• Like 4