Uggg...lovebugs

RoperDK

We are in central Alabama and the lovebugs are out in force.  In a couple of days we head to Port Canaveral.  What can anyone tell me about what I might find on the road this week?  Hoping that the invasion is localized to this area.  Also, google wasn't much help about finding a drive through car wash in the Cocoa Beach area.  Any ideas?  Can't leave those bugs baking on your car. Thanks!    

I don't know about Florida, but South Carolina was covered with them last week, but the invasion is lessening this week. Hopefully Florida is the same. There should be a car wash in Cape Canaveral. I have not see one in Coco Beach. Not that there isn't one, I have just never seen one there.

• Thanks 1

I live in Orlando and yes we have a FEW out, but no where near as bad as our April/May infestation.

For those who are unaware, Love Bug hit Florida twice a year. Once before summer, and once at the end of summer... Summer is a loose term as it is pretty much always hot here. Every other year, we will get them bad, this year it was the early swarm.

Common myth debunked: The University of Florida DID give us Gatorade, but DID NOT give us Love Bugs. (Also, Gatorade is the only thing good to come from that place... GO DAWGS!)

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Drock20J said:

I live in Orlando and yes we have a FEW out, but no where near as bad as our April/May infestation.

We haven’t seen anything beach side around Cocoa Beach.....yet. They were horrible last April. They are annoying!

For those who are unaware, Love Bug hit Florida twice a year. Once before summer, and once at the end of summer... Summer is a loose term as it is pretty much always hot here. Every other year, we will get them bad, this year it was the early swarm.

They were the worse we’ve seen in 25 years this year. But was told that in the 70’s they were worse and so bad cars would stall because they’d clog the engines! 

Common myth debunked: The University of Florida DID give us Gatorade, but DID NOT give us Love Bugs. (Also, Gatorade is the only thing good to come from that place... GO DAWGS!)

LOL this is correct they were not developed in a lab to fight mosquitoes! They actually migrated from South & Central America! 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Drock20J said:

Gatorade isn't really that good either 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, jrmende63 said:

There should be a car wash in Cape Canaveral. I have not see one in Coco Beach. Not that there isn't one, I have just never seen one there.

Do you mean on the "mainland"?  I googled Port Canaveral and Cocoa Beach with no results.  If we could find one, we could drive through on the way down.  I grew up in Florida and those bugs have always been a huge problem.  They would clog the intake and eat the paint off of your car back in the day. 

7 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

They are gone in Florida

While I wish this were true, our car was covered with love bugs after driving an hour yesterday in North Florida. They seem to be ramping up this week again-at least in the northern part of the state. Good luck finding a car wash!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Do you mean on the "mainland"?  I googled Port Canaveral and Cocoa Beach with no results.  If we could find one, we could drive through on the way down.  I grew up in Florida and those bugs have always been a huge problem.  They would clog the intake and eat the paint off of your car back in the day. 

You are googling Port Canaveral which is the PORT. I just googled car washes in Cape Canaveral and there were 3 that popped up.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I rode my motorcycle 300 miles today to the East Coast (by Johns Place) and Central area here in Florida and my bike, my helmet, and my glasses were covered in Love Bugs. 

Crazy! My husband works at NASA right by Cape his car is clean as whistle. Said he didn’t see any today! Dreading the invasion!!! 

We are headed to Florida from Tennessee next Sunday.  I am not looking forward to driving through them.  We had them in Texas when we lived in Houston.  Saw them both in May and September.  It was not something I was sad to say goodbye to when we moved to Tennessee!  Every state has their pests.  Stink bugs are just starting to appear here.  Keeping them outside rather than inside is my current task.  I have already flushed several down the toilet that found their way into my screened porch.  Sure glad it is a temporary affliction.  I would hate to be plagued for weeks upon weeks!