Check In Time

ROXY GIRL

Every port I have been to has an early/late line for people who show up outside their check-in window. I have seen everything from this line being very short to the line being ridiculously long. If you don’t mind the possibility of standing in line for a few hours, you can show up early and hope the line isn’t too long. 

If you get into the early late line, how does it work? Does it move at all? or do you just wait until your assigned time and then get out of that line and get into the other one? This is our first Carnival cruise and we have never read what happens when you get in this line. It seems hard to catch that 30 minute window considering traffic in Miami sometimes. 

With the early/late you will go through this line until you are finished checking in and seated.  My experience with the lines:

Vista out of Miami - I was five minutes late for my appointment window and was sent to the early/late line.  I believe this was around 12:30 and I got there at 12:35.  The early/late line wasn't too bad.

Dream out of New Orleans - Since I was sent to the early/late line after being only five minutes late on my Vista cruise, we decided to get there in plenty of time since we had to park.  I had a late appointment time for this cruise, so went to the extremely long early/late line.  The entire check-in experience was very disorganized, but I was still on board the ship before my appointment time.  This was the longest I ever waited in line.

Magic out of Fort Lauderdale - I had Faster to the Fun, so I arrived at 10:30 and used the priority line.  They called FTTF at 10:50, with zones A1 through A4 as I was boarding.

Breeze out of Port Canaveral - My appointment time was 11:30 to 12:00, but I arrived at 10:45 and the early/late line was very short with only a couple of people in front of me in line.  They called my zone (A1) at 11:05.

It depends on your perception of a "very long time".   I sailed on the Carnival Horizon 2 months ago.....and arrived at the port and the line was the length of the terminal at 11:30am.   10 minutes later I was thru metal detectors.  The rest of the process was very smooth and onboard by 12:20am.

What does it matter if your room is not ready for occupancy until 1:30?

David

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ROXY GIRL said:

If you are assigned 1:30 check in time, can you get on the ship early?

Our flight gets in around 9:30.

If you use Carnival shuttle from the airport, you can show your voucher to enter the terminal on arrival. Boarding will begin when boarding begins

7 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

It depends on your perception of a "very long time".   I sailed on the Carnival Horizon 2 months ago.....and arrived at the port and the line was the length of the terminal at 11:30am.   10 minutes later I was thru metal detectors.  The rest of the process was very smooth and onboard by 12:20am.

David

For the majority of the cruisers, the cruise begins when you board the ship, not when you can get into your cabin.  Even you boarded and hour and ten minutes before the cabins were ready.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

David

It matters to people who carry on their own luggage.  We never carry on our own luggage and I often wonder why more people don’t drop off their luggage with porters when I watch them struggling with their luggage on the ship. But I understand people have their own reasons why they like to carry on their luggage. 

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

It matters to people who carry on their own luggage.  We never carry on our own luggage and I often wonder why more people don’t drop off their luggage with porters when I watch them struggling with their luggage on the ship. But I understand people have their own reasons why they like to carry on their luggage. 

I always wonder the same thing.  All valuables and/or electronics should be in your carry-on...similar to when flying.  I've never had luggage issues with the porters at any cruise port and certainly would not want to drag my luggage all over this ship.  Even with FTTF I give my luggage to the porters, relax, and wait for boarding.

12 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

With the early/late you will go through this line until you are finished checking in and seated.  My experience with the lines:

Vista out of Miami - I was five minutes late for my appointment window and was sent to the early/late line.  I believe this was around 12:30 and I got there at 12:35.  The early/late line wasn't too bad.

Dream out of New Orleans - Since I was sent to the early/late line after being only five minutes late on my Vista cruise, we decided to get there in plenty of time since we had to park.  I had a late appointment time for this cruise, so went to the extremely long early/late line.  The entire check-in experience was very disorganized, but I was still on board the ship before my appointment time.  This was the longest I ever waited in line.

Magic out of Fort Lauderdale - I had Faster to the Fun, so I arrived at 10:30 and used the priority line.  They called FTTF at 10:50, with zones A1 through A4 as I was boarding.

Breeze out of Port Canaveral - My appointment time was 11:30 to 12:00, but I arrived at 10:45 and the early/late line was very short with only a couple of people in front of me in line.  They called my zone (A1) at 11:05.

Thanks--we are taking magic out of fll, and have fttf.....we'll plan on arriving around the same time you did. 

Edited by elcuchio24
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

We never carry on our own luggage and I often wonder why more people don’t drop off their luggage with porters when I watch them struggling with their luggage on the ship. But I understand people have their own reasons why they like to carry on their luggage. 

You might have seen me with a carry on and a small rolling suitcase- don't judge me (LOL!) since everything in both of those items are carry-on only- prescription meds, electronics like tablets & laptops, cases of soda... so what you didn't see is the big suitcase that I DID give to the porters! I drive to ports so amount of luggage isn't a thing for me!

Edited by Shaded Lady
  • Like 1

Our experience in Miami on the Vista.

1) Had 11:30 Check in

2) Arrived 10:00

3) Early/late line. Walked right in Nobody in it

4) Docs scanned in through security

5) Boarding pass

6) Waiting room

7 Onboard by noon.

Very organized/smooth process. For those saying why not just go at your assigned time I would rather sit at the pier and watch the hustle and bustle. YES we were prepared to sit and wait. In our case it worked out, others MAY not be so lucky.

19 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

You might have seen me with a carry on and a small rolling suitcase- don't judge me (LOL!) since everything in both of those items are carry-on only- prescription meds, electronics like tablets & laptops, cases of soda... so what you didn't see is the big suitcase that I DID give to the porters! I drive to ports so amount of luggage isn't a thing for me!

I wheel my 21" Delsey bag onto the ship while carrying a shoulder bag.  Easy peasy, even for a 21 day B2B Journeys cruise.  The only times I've had more luggage was when we went to Alaska or the Med.