Ships get new names

hallasm

In 2020, MS Finnmarken and MS Midnatsol will go through a big upgrade

The ships  will  be equipped with a battery pack, allowing it to sail into pristine polar areas and the Norwegian Fjords without air and water emissions. The ships will also have shore power connections installed, to cut all emissions when docked in ports with shore power facilities.

MS Midnatsol will be renamed MS Eirik Raude 

MS Finnmarken will be renamed MS Otto Sverdrup 

From January 2021 Hurtigruten will only serve 7 of the 11 Costal Departures from Bergen - Havila Kystruten will join the Coastal route with four ships.

By then there will be some changes to the Hurtigruten offerings in addition to the traditional 11 day coastal voyage from Bergen to Kirkenes and return to Bergen - no changes to the costal route stopping at 34 ports along the entire coast.

The new Norwegian expedition cruise initiative in addition to the traditional coastal route between Bergen and Kirkenes from 2021: 
The ships MS Otto Sverdrup and MS Eirik Raude will sail from Bergen year-round - on an 11-day expedition cruise to Honningsvåg and Nordkapp and back to Bergen. Different itineraries summer and winter (see below). In addition they will also sail the traditional coastal voyage.
From October to March, MS Maud will sail a 14-day expedition cruise from Dover, along the entire Norwegian coast to Honningsvåg and Nordkapp and back.
From April to September, MS Maud will sail the 14-day expedition cruise from Hamburg, along the Norwegian coast and back.

The new destinations in the expedition cruise initiative are Å and Reine in Lofoten, Vesterålen, Senja (via Finnsnes), Lyngsalpene with Havnnes, Træna, Alta, Fjærland, Narvik and Stavanger.  See the new itineraries below

MS Otto Sverdrup / MS Eirik Raude

Bergen – Nordkapp – Bergen (11 dager)

Mai-September

Bergen
Ålesund
Brønnøysund
Stokmarknes
Risøyhamn
Tromsø
Honningsvåg
Havnnes
Svolvær
Reine
Træna
Trondheim
Hjørundfjorden
Bergen

Oktober – April

Bergen
Ålesund
Brønnøysund
Reine
Svolvær
Tromsø
Honningsvåg
Alta
Narvik
Sandnessjøen
Kristiansund
Molde
Fjærland
Bergen

Ms Maud

April - September:  Hamburg – Nordkapp – Hamburg (14 days)

Hamburg
Cuxhaven
Bergen
Molde
Kristiansund
Brønnøysund
Reine
Svolvær
Tromsø
Honningsvåg
Finnsnes
Bodø
Trondheim
Hjørundfjorden
Ålesund
Stavanger
Hamburg

October - March:  Dover – Nordkapp – Dover (14 days) 

Dover
Bergen
Molde
Kristiansund
Brønnøysund
Reine
Svolvær
Tromsø
Honningsvåg
Finnsnes
Ålesund
Stavanger
Calais
Dover

Edited by hallasm

I have to say I have very mixed feelings about this. I will really miss Finnmarken's art deco interior design (I'm still hoping they will keep some of this character and not go full "modern Ikea" like the other refurbishments). Also, Finnmarken was my ship of choice in addition to Lofoten (which will also leave the regular line in 2021, and so far I cannot find what she will do next). So it may actually be the end of the coastal voyage for me. I have no interest in the same trip with only tourists and no "working ship" vibe. Maybe I'll try the new company for comparison.

But there is probably a market for this.

In traditional sailing culture it is considered bad luck to change a ship's name.

Edited by SarniaLo

4 hours ago, clo said:

Any word on what Lofoten will be used for after next season?

Nothing more than this:"In December 2020, after 55 years faithfully sailing the Norwegian coast every day and every season, MS Lofoten will stop her daily service between Bergen and Kirkenes. We invite you to come and be a part of her historic, final scheduled sailings, before she sets off on the next stage of her seafaring life." which I understand will be a 'sort of expedition ship'

8 hours ago, hallasm said:

MS Lofoten will stop her daily service between Bergen and Kirkenes.

We'll be sailing on her again (NB) in April.  Staff told me that she's 'protected.' She has original wood, light fixtures, etc. She won't be pieced out.

IMG_6680 - Edited.jpg