Transfers to Southampton

liberty64

1 hour ago, liberty64 said:

yes but if you live 250 miles its free, so I understand?

Is that per person or per journey?

Yes, free up to 250 miles, but I suppose they have to draw the line somewhere.

Maybe the train is a better option?

A taxi journey one way would be well over double £165.

Yes, £165 for 100 miles does sound a bit too much.  I believe Saga offer free train or air travel to anyone over the 250, and that you would be met at the station/airport to get to the ship.  On a different note, if you live fairly nearby, and drive to the port, you not only get free parking but - and this can be important - can disembark with the first group.  I think that is what we would do if we lived near enough - as people now know, you can be pretty late disembarking for the included car - mainly because of the small parking area for drivers at Dover.  It has always, for us, been efficient, but waiting until 10.30 or later is a drag.

3 hours ago, liberty64 said:

yes but if you live 250 miles its free, so I understand?

Yes, that's why I'm looking forward to my first Saga trip, they have informed me I have a car to my self with no stops ..... I was really referring to whenever I take Cunard. 

liberty 64 - I did say that I believe that flights or train travel are included if you live too far for free taxi, but you would need to check on this if you are interested.  Not something we have personal experience of,  living near enough to qualify for shared taxi.

I hope you don't mind me saying that IMO Saga cruises are superior to those on P and O and Fred Olsen - but that is of course a personal opinion.  Don't troll me anyone!

1 hour ago, liberty64 said:

I wonder why she didn't tell me about the free train and flights?

I would prefer the free transfer option that you get with P&O, so maybe stick with them or Fred out of a northern port!

I did mention the train and free parking but maybe I wasn't explicit enough. The person at Saga should have brought it to your attention though.

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

liberty 64 - I did say that I believe that flights or train travel are included if you live too far for free taxi, but you would need to check on this if you are interested.  Not something we have personal experience of,  living near enough to qualify for shared taxi.

I hope you don't mind me saying that IMO Saga cruises are superior to those on P and O and Fred Olsen - but that is of course a personal opinion.  Don't troll me anyone!

I've never travelled on Fred but have on P&O and would agree that Saga offer a superior product but then they are more expensive.

I have sailed on 12 different lines and appreciate their different strengths and weaknesses.

It's great that we have so much choice, isn't it 😀

I had forgotten the included tips and wine (and all drinks fairly soon) - this does add a lot to your final bill on other lines - especially if you enjoy a few drinks and wine with meals.  P and O ships nowadays are large, and I think Fred's are all still the pretty old ones (we have been on Black Watch, Boudicca and Braemar, and even Black Prince in the olden days).  

I personally find that it is very civilised not having to pay for any drinks - you can sit with others and not worry about whose turn it is to pay.  The feeling is more like a cocktail party, and less like being in a pub or bar.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I had forgotten the included tips and wine (and all drinks fairly soon) - this does add a lot to your final bill on other lines - especially if you enjoy a few drinks and wine with meals.  P and O ships nowadays are large, and I think Fred's are all still the pretty old ones (we have been on Black Watch, Boudicca and Braemar, and even Black Prince in the olden days).  

I personally find that it is very civilised not having to pay for any drinks - you can sit with others and not worry about whose turn it is to pay.  The feeling is more like a cocktail party, and less like being in a pub or bar.

P&O now include gratuities.

I haven't sailed with them for a while, the last time being on a 31night trip on Adonia, now Azamara Pursuit.

However as you say their ships are generally very large. That puts me off sailing with them.

As to drinks I think P&O's prices are fairly reasonable and I believe Fred also does all-inclusive drinks.

I'm a very light drinker, happy enough with a good coffee or a can of sprite, bit of a cheap date.🤣

Seem to think we've had this discussion before lincslady 😀

I don't think Fred is for me, but never say never.

Looking forward to boarding SoD in 8 days time. 

Yes, we have,  Glenndale.   I think we  probably make more use of the included drinks than some others!  Though by no means alcoholics, I like to think.  I don't know what standard of drinks are included on the all inclusive Fred cruises, but Saga have upped their game and now (at present on Sapphire) include the likes of Tio Pepe and Campari, and a pretty good standard Scotch - maybe Famous  Grouse or similar.  The old Saga ships could be compared with Fred's, but the new ones are of a quite different standard.

I have to admit I have just looked through the 2020 brochure, and the word luxury does occur here and there,  though not  in the way you see on some lines, especially Regent.

Looking forward to reading  your comments on your cruise - hope you enjoy it.