Cheap Mirrorless to Play Around With?

SimplyMarvie

I'm a died in the wool lover of the (fading, sadly) Superzoom camera for travel, because it gives me so much flexibility to get the shot I want without intruding myself in the shot. But I've been flirting with the idea of getting a mirrorless setup to play around with. Since my favorite camera will probably still be in the repair shop on our upcoming cruise, I'm actively shopping. Since this is just a 'for funsies' purchase, I'm looking at used, cheap bodies with a basic lens that are small and travel well. Any recommendations on things to go with -- or to avoid?

Sony A6000 is still available new and is generally under $750 with a two lens kit. About %550 with the wide kit zoom (much maligned but actually pretty good) if you want to opt for a better zoom later. The 70-210 is actually pretty good for a kit lens.

Mine is still chugging along in my granddaughter's increasingly capable hands after 5 years and still takes great pictures.

Dave

Check out KEH.com in Georgia. I have bought and sold camera equipment with them for three years. Very good service and fair prices. I even traded all of my Sony A-mount equipment last week for a new Sony A6400 with the 18-135mm lens for my wife to use. I have an A6500 and A6000 along with an assortment of NEX e-mount.

With regards to just getting a mirrorless camera to try,  I have considered getting a cheap used micro four thirds body (either Panasonic or Olympus) as Olympus sells a 9mm body cap lens that gives surprisingly good results to just play with. There is only one MFT to NEX by Fotodiox that does not have good reviews, otherwise I would use my Sonys. A used Panasonic GF-2 is cheaper than the 9mm lens!

On 9/18/2019 at 12:04 AM, Heartgrove said:

With regards to just getting a mirrorless camera to try,  I have considered getting a cheap used micro four thirds body (either Panasonic or Olympus) as Olympus sells a 9mm body cap lens that gives surprisingly good results to just play with. There is only one MFT to NEX by Fotodiox that does not have good reviews, otherwise I would use my Sonys. A used Panasonic GF-2 is cheaper than the 9mm lens!

I actually a big fan of the Panasonics, but found a pretty good deal on an Olympus with two lenses included, and so grabbed that. I'm not sure I'm going to love the body, but at <$200 for the whole thing, if I end up loving the mirrorless footprint I can replace the body with a higher-end Olympus and still use the lenses. It'll be an interesting toy to play around with -- and if I'm the shipping Gods are kind and I am very, very lucky it will arrive in time for me to take it camping in the desert next week as a trial run before our cruise. 

If you can do without a viewfinder, the Sony A5100 is a great little mirrorless.  You can still find them new at Adorama or B&H or used all over the place - I've seen them on Facebook Marketplace for right around $300, and that includes the kit 16-50mm lens.  Its predecessor, the NEX-5 and 7 are decent as well and you can find them sub $200 used

Edited by Herfnerd