Huatulco Excursions

CarolandNate

For our port of call.  in Huatulco on the Emerald Princess, December 3-18, we were seeking out potential private tours, as opposed to some from the ship.  I want to share some with people who may still be looking for an excursion. 

We are doing Wahaca Cooking, which is a three hour cooking class with restaurateur, Alfredo Ramirez.  An ideal way to immerse yourself in Mexican cuisine and culture.  In our hands-on classes you’ll learn the techniques to prepare ancestral delicacies that you can.  This experience is more then preparing a meal, it is a must activity while in Huatulco for foodies and anyone that loves to get involved in local culture.  Alfredo will share his stories and memories from growing up.  It is located near the Eco-Arqueológico Copalita Park.  It is $75 per person and they pick up at the ship at 9:15.  It is limited to 12 in a class.  Trip advisor lists it, but their calendar does not show Sunday.  If this interests you, let me know and I will get the contact information to you.

Our searches also brought out these and again let me know if you are interested and I will give you their email addresses.

City & Sightseeing Tour.  (w/ Arturo Martinez)    5 Hours    $100pp for 2; $50pp for 4-10; $40pp for 10+.   We visit some spectacular viewpoints for pictures, what we call the “backyard” of Huatulco; a place to see the elaboration of real corn tortillas, here you can have some quesadillas.  Then to Santa Maria, where we explore the town, walk on its main street to see a real Mexican town, visit the market and a 300 year old church, Parroquia de Santa María Huatulco.  Then it's back to downtown Huatulco (La Crucecita) to stop at the main square for walking and browsing.  Maybe we stop for a drink and a snack at a local restaurant. 

City Tour   (w/ Enrique Pinacho)   4-5 hours     $38.00   Up to 14 people  Bays and viewpoints, La Bocana beach, Copalita my little village, there we have lunch if you like,  La Crucecita town, there we visit the church, textiles, the market and mezcal taste and chocolate.

Town & Traditions Tour   (w/ Alfonso Gabriel)    5 Hours    $55.00pp; $45 Minimum four  Tour to Santa Maria Huatulco and visit Piedra de Moros (stone of Moors).  Visit a medicinal plant  garden where you will know and learn about several that the local people use to cure themselves, Then to a  craft workshop where local people make wool carpets on pedal looms and other crafts. Finish at a Mezcal Factory for tasting.  Learn to make tortillas and see the  brick making process.

We gave a lot of serious thought also to a ships tour, Rural Communities and Traditions, before settling on the cooking.  It had a lot of tastings and demos, but the cooking being more hands on was more our style.  This is $90 and I know they run two trips.  Theya lso appear to have a lot of openings even at this time.

Good luck

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2019 at 2:29 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Should this be on your Roll Call, per board rules? 

Is that a rule?  If so, I did not know that.  While I want to get it out there for people in my roll call, would others on the cruise, not necessarily in the roll call, be aware of these excursions.  Does posting in the roll call also capture those that are looking more generally

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 9/26/2019 at 9:14 AM, woody14h said:

I believe this is a benefit and I would never have found it on a particular roll call.

On 9/27/2019 at 11:36 PM, CanWeGoYet? said:

The other issue is not recommending an excursion unless you've been on it.  That is another rule.

Thanks CarolAndNate! I don't see anything in your post that actually recommends any of the tours. 

I'm preparing for a cruise next (2021) September and was happy to find the results of your research. The ship excursions weren't particularly exciting/interesting. 

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot speak to the cruise line excursions.  We did spend seven weeks bouncing around Mexico last winter.  We were in Huatulco for four days.  We anticipated that we would spend more time there but moved on instead.

We stayed in the city.   The city area is interesting however it is probably only worth a few hours. We walked around every night. Cab ride from the dock/beach area to the town is very inexpensive.

We joined with another couple to charter a small boat of five or six hours.  We did it on the day that a cruise ship was in town.  Arranged it the night before.  There are many larger boat tours but we preferred a smaller, more individualized tour.  I think we paid $75 USD per couple.  Plus each couple tipped well because we were very happy with the trip.  Did not see any whales though!  That included lunch and drinks.   We toured the coast, stopped at places we wanted to stop.   No tourist traps (there is one beach like that).  Very enjoyable day.   There are numerous small operators on the dock that have smaller boats, more individualized trips.  Not certain what the big boat tours charge but we were not interested.

Edited by iancal