Women, What Do You Wear?

SimplyMarvie

I'm tired of my snorkeling trips getting cut short because even with sunscreen I'm too pale and red-headed to keep going without a sunburn. Normally, I snorkel in whatever swimsuit is clean and at hand, but I think I need to step up my game. I'm not sure that it's time for a full wet-suit, but I'm boggled and confused by the huge range of rash-guards and swim shirts and what-have-you on Amazon (and am vain enough to kind of want to look cute when I'm out in the water). What have you found that works and isn't too hard to pack?

I wear a dive skin, which is a full-body, ankles to wrists to neck suit made out of a light, lycra swimsuit material.  Not the "cutest", sexiest, thing out there; it's more "serious" looking, but it's comfortable and prevents a very UNcomfortable burn!  It also make donning a wetsuit much easier, if you're in cold water.

Edited by pf778c
  • Like 1

Dive skin leggings and a long sleeve rash guard shirt. There are some cute leggings and tops if you Google dive skin leggings. Not necessarily the most fashionable but basically lycra yoga pants. They work, are easy on and off, and take up no room or weight in the luggage. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2019 at 7:37 AM, SimplyMarvie said:

I'm tired of my snorkeling trips getting cut short because even with sunscreen I'm too pale and red-headed to keep going without a sunburn. Normally, I snorkel in whatever swimsuit is clean and at hand, but I think I need to step up my game. I'm not sure that it's time for a full wet-suit, but I'm boggled and confused by the huge range of rash-guards and swim shirts and what-have-you on Amazon (and am vain enough to kind of want to look cute when I'm out in the water). What have you found that works and isn't too hard to pack?

If you're looking for something reasonably priced here's what I wear. I too am a freckle faced redhead. And like to look cute in the water 🙂

Pants:

https://www.amazon.com/Saejous-Womens-Bottom-Outdoor-Leggings/dp/B07R911LKY/ref=sr_1_18_sspa?keywords=oneill+swim+pants&qid=1571014109&sr=8-18-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExM1pVT1VRQ0FOSFhSJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTU4NTEzMjlFNVFEUVNNODhKMCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjQ1NDg3MzdWNVNUOVM2NjZaSSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Rashguard:

https://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Womens-Basic-Sleeve-Medium/dp/B00GD22VB0/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=womens%2Brash%2Bguard%2Blong%2Bsleeve&qid=1571014355&sr=8-17&th=1&psc=1

• 2 weeks later...

Stop by a local dive shop and ask for either a full rashguard or a dive skin. You can also do leggins and shirt, but I think you will find the full body nicer for what you want as it stays together. This way you can also make certain it fits nicely.

• 2 months later...

On our last trip, I waited too long to buy a dive skin.  I improvised with a long sleeve rash guard shirt I already owned and a pair of spandex leggings.  It worked out so well that I decided to keep doing that rather than buy the skin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Lycra leggings and long sleeve rash vest are your best bet if it’s just for sun protection. They’ve become very popular since stand up paddle boarding became popular hence the plethora of options. 
I’m Irish and have an allergy to jellyfish stings so that’s what I’ve used when snorkelling in the Caribbean. My family owns Ireland’s oldest surf shop so I’ve seen the huge changes in availability of choice over the past few years.