Red Ginger- Spicy Dishesit dishes

carlsbadguy

I understand about people who are averse to spicy dishes and find RG too spicy ... whereas I love it the spicier the better which is why we tend not to dine at RG.  The first time there I asked for them to really spice it up and it wasn't spicy at all.  But on another time the dish was hot enough even for me.

But I would say that if a dish doesn't have that little red flag by it, it certainly should be safe for those people who prefer blander food.

Mura

The food in RG is not spicy. Oceania doesn’t do spicy as defined by 97% of the population. If she prefers bland, just tell the staff that and she’ll be easily accommodated. 

A demonstration of bland for you. Try Oceania’s version of salsa they serve with chips or Mexican dishes. All the peppers and spices have been stripped out and they give you this mostly disgusting sweet tomato relish and call it salsa! Something not to offend even the most spice averse! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JPR said:

There are plenty of excellent offerings that aren’t spicy at all, like the Miso Glazed Seabass.

Exactly.

In addition to above the excellent lobster Pad Thai is also not spicy.

Among the appetizers the calamari is not spicy either unless dipped in the spicy sauce.

It is hit or miss there

I would ask for less spice if that is what you like or more spice  if that suits you

Last time we were there I had the green curry ..it was very spicy  they toned it down but still spicy

I have had it there before it was  just nicely spiced 

you sometimes cannot win

just order something else  or go to another venue 😉

JMO

Well ... sometimes the problem can be that if you ask for "spice" they aren't sure exactly what you mean.

When I first moved to NYC in the early '70s we discovered a wonderful Szechuan restaurant on the Bowery (which is part of Chinatown for those of you do don't know NYC).  The first dinner there we ordered "Ants Climbing Tree" which is basically a minced pork with noodles, and is usually quite spicy.  We were all spice lovers and that dish just about burned us out that night.

But we kept coming back because it was so good.

On a later visit the owner told us that in their experience many people would ask for spicy food, and then complain that it was too spicy.  How are they to know what you like?  Do you LOOK like people who like spicy food?

Once he knew us, he knew what we liked.

It must be harder for waiters and staff on a cruise ship since you don't often have returning passengers, at least not after the cruise has ended.

Mura

• Like 1