Mofongo? Where are the best places for it in Old San Juan

pebbles1102

"Best" is tough- as the mofongo we've had in Old San Juan is pretty similar.  And they are all really good.  Riaces and Barrichina are both popular tourist restaurants who both have food that I think is really good.  I'm not sure if El Jibarito is open that late.  

And there are a bunch of places on Calle Reciento Sur next to Riaces that you can try, too- they will all have someone curbside trying to get you to try them.

A classic that recently has re-opened, which used to be REALLY good is La Mallorquina.  We've not been back since it's re-opened, though.

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

A classic that recently has re-opened, which used to be REALLY good is La Mallorquina.  We've not been back since it's re-opened, though.

La Mallorquina probably hasn't been good for at least two decades. It used to be a favorite of mine about 40 to 45 years ago. I'll have to check it out when I'm next in San Juan .

Edited by njhorseman

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

La Mallorquina probably hasn't been good for at least two decades. It used to be a favorite of mine about 40 to 45 years ago. I'll have to check it out when I'm next in San Juan .

We went in the mid to late 90's and really enjoyed it.  Although, at that time, I was really in the process of learning Puerto Rican food- so that view may be skewed.  But my wife took me there- and she's from Ponce.  Well known location.

The hard part to go back is there are SO many other places to try.  So I don't know when we will be back.

On 9/18/2019 at 6:02 AM, LittleYiaYia said:

Our favorite place for mofongo is  Punto de Vista on the rooftop of Hotel Milano on Calle Fortaleza.  Look at the reviews on Trip Advisor. 

Absolutely ^^^^ this ... Our favorite place to eat & drink Mojitos !!!!

• 4 months later...
On 9/18/2019 at 8:02 AM, LittleYiaYia said:

Our favorite place for mofongo is  Punto de Vista on the rooftop of Hotel Milano on Calle Fortaleza.  Look at the reviews on Trip Advisor. 

Good to hear!!  I read this on another review and was hoping it was as good as it sounded!  I'll be in San Juan 3 nights pre-cruise by myself, so looking for some great places to try.

1 minute ago, mrsfuzzmo said:

Good to hear!!  I read this on another review and was hoping it was as good as it sounded!  I'll be in San Juan 3 nights pre-cruise by myself, so looking for some great places to try.

Go early in the afternoon so you can take advantage of the bogo Mojitos (if you enjoy them).  They stop happy hour at 5PM.  If you decide to go in the evening, let's say 6PM or after, you may have a wait.  If so, put your name in and they will text you when they have a table available.   

We will be there 2 weeks from tonight, can't wait.  

Enjoy your cruise. 

• 2 weeks later...