Hub App Chat Questions

katstoy

We are going on the Miracle in about two months with another two families.  I've used the Hub App in the past just for looking at schedules, and have not used the chat feature.  Questions on the chat feature:

Is it $5.00 per person for the chat feature for the whole cruise or $5.00 per person per day?

Can you chat with someone who is not in your booking or can you only chat with the persons who are in your room/booking? 

To chat with someone who is not in your booking, if you can, do the reservations need to be linked?

Guess I'm too used to text messages where you can use your contact list, can you create some sort of "cruise contact list" from the app while on board?

Thanks!  

4 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

It is $5.00 per person for the entire cruise. I believe you can chat with anybody that's in your phone's contact list. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. A 'cruise contact list' is a good idea! 

...who also purchased the chat feature.

• Like 1

Joe817 & Jbethel11 are both correct- anyone who's onboard and purchased the chat function can be added to your contacts- your reservations do not need to be linked... we had a very large FB roll call on our last cruise, and a handful of people were working together to organize some of our activities (slot pull, M&G, grad celebration) and we were all able to connect using the chat functionality...

25 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I believe you can chat with anybody that's in your phone's contact list. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. A 'cruise contact list' is a good idea! 

The hub chat function has an internal contact list already but it doesn't use your phone's contact list. You can look people up and if they have the chat option then you can message them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, antmaril said:

So, when do we download this Chat Feature?  Once we are on board?  Can we add it now?  

Thanks!

You have to download the Carnival Fun Hub- that can be done now... one of the options within the app is to enroll in the chat function, but there's nothing to download. Once you agree to pay the $5, it's enabled and you can start using it. You'll see the $5 charge on your Sail & Sign account.

Edited by Shaded Lady

3 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

You have to download the Carnival Fun Hub- that can be done now... one of the options within the app is to enroll in the chat function, but there's nothing to download. Once you agree to pay the $5, it's enabled and you can start using it. You'll see the $5 charge on your Sail & Sign account.

Thanks.  Yes, I have the Hub App on my phone, I just don’t see the Chat option.  

• Like 1

Just now, antmaril said:

Thanks.  Yes, I have the Hub App on my phone, I just don’t see the Chat option.  

I don't remember exactly where you will see it (I have a great memory, it's just short 😁) but I suspect you need to activate the hub app once you're onboard, then you'll see the option to purchase the chat function.

• Like 3

Just now, Shaded Lady said:

I don't remember exactly where you will see it (I have a great memory, it's just short 😁) but I suspect you need to activate the hub app once you're onboard, then you'll see the option to purchase the chat function.

Correct S.L. Once onboard and in the HubApp if you scroll down, there's a button that says: "I'm on board." That will activate the other functions. 

• Like 4

One note I will add is that you have to actively check for chat messages, there are no notifications that you received a chat message and the app has to be open and on display on your phone to see that you received a message.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

One note I will add is that you have to actively check for chat messages, there are no notifications that you received a chat message and the app has to be open and on display on your phone to see that you received a message.

I was on Liberty a few weeks ago and used chat a lot. I always got notifications when someone sent me a text message, similar to notifications I got 15 minutes before an event I had selected as a favorite. It’s possible the app works a little differently on different phones. I have an IPhone X for what it’s worth.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I was on Liberty a few weeks ago and used chat a lot. I always got notifications when someone sent me a text message, similar to notifications I got 15 minutes before an event I had selected as a favorite. It’s possible the app works a little differently on different phones. I have an IPhone X for what it’s worth.  

Interesting.  I had a Galaxy S7 last cruise.  Next one I will have my S10.  Might be phone related or maybe I could have found a setting somewhere.   Thanks for the info.

• Like 2

I would just overall describe the chat functionality as unreliable. There were times when I would get a notification and everything would seem to be working great and there were other times when I would be standing next to my wife while we both have the apps open and I could send her a message and she would never get it. If your wanting more reliable chat and are paying for or willing to pay for the social internet package then I would use Facebook messenger. We have started using it and its almost always reliable, but we pay for to social internet package anyways.  

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 3:16 PM, K&RCurt said:

Interesting.  I had a Galaxy S7 last cruise.  Next one I will have my S10.  Might be phone related or maybe I could have found a setting somewhere.   Thanks for the info.

Gosh I hope not. I have a Galaxy S7 too. I don't remember having any issues with it. But I've slept since then. lol

• Haha 1

On 9/17/2019 at 4:02 PM, K&RCurt said:

I believe it may have a bit to do with the phone. On the Vista my boyfriend had an iPhone8 & I had an S8 & my daughter had the J9. He got notifications, we didn't. Our last cruise on Horizon they had iPhone 8s, I have the S9 & we all got notifications. 

DW and I were discussing this last night.  She is an Iphone gal and I have no idea what i number she has, but she said she did not get notifications either.  I suspect it may be a setting we missed or it is just wonky and randomly provides notifications or not.

Will be using it again come February on the Legend and will see what happens!

On 9/17/2019 at 4:14 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

i really am curious--  but what are we texting?   i have not yet used the feature--  Have no idea what I would be texting about.   

2 minutes ago, serene56 said:

i really am curious--  but what are we texting?   i have not yet used the feature--  Have no idea what I would be texting about.   

We were with a group of people and we used it to let others know where we were or what we were doing, since we usually weren’t all doing the same thing together. 

I was also curious about using the Hub app for texting versus using face book messenger.  We have a small group but everyone will be all over doing their own thing.  But it would be nice to meet up every once in a while.  I could always rely on face book messenger.  But we shall see.

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

We were with a group of people and we used it to let others know where we were or what we were doing, since we usually weren’t all doing the same thing together. 

Oh ok.   The hub app does that fir me. We sit at breakfast and mark up the favorites where we will be at any hour    Does it allow group texting