Drop bags here- there is no need for a porter.

mcatmcat

Port of Miami

Terminal A

I was talking to a friend about the fact that I dont like to give my luggage to a porter and walk away until he said “ you can drop it yourself and it goes straight to the terminal “ 

He didn’t use that systems but he told me you can place it yourself in a baggage carousel and it goes straight to the scanner- is it like that ? 

Edited by mcatmcat

48 minutes ago, mcatmcat said:

Port of Miami

Terminal A

I was talking to a friend about the fact that I dont like to give my luggage to a porter and walk away until he said “ you can drop it yourself and it goes straight to the terminal “ 

He didn’t use that systems but he told me you can place it yourself in a baggage carousel and it goes straight to the scanner- is it like that ? 

Odds are a whole lot better that it will end up in a TSA room to be completely dumped to check for possible threats to the ship if the bomb squad doesn't blow it up first. Post 911, virtually everything left unattended in a public venue gets a visit from the bomb squad and the local authorities.

17 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Odds are a whole lot better that it will end up in a TSA room to be completely dumped to check for possible threats to the ship if the bomb squad doesn't blow it up first. Post 911, virtually everything left unattended in a public venue gets a visit from the bomb squad and the local authorities.

Over-react much??  TSA doesn’t work the cruise terminals, and the OP wasn’t asking about leaving their bag just laying around. 

OP; You don’t have to give your luggage to a porter at any terminal (as far as I know), I don’t know about a carousel at POM, but I always just roll my bags to the nearest luggage cart and throw them on. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Over-react much??  TSA doesn’t work the cruise terminals, and the OP wasn’t asking about leaving their bag just laying around. 

OP; You don’t have to give your luggage to a porter at any terminal (as far as I know), I don’t know about a carousel at POM, but I always just roll my bags to the nearest luggage cart and throw them on. 

Not at all an overreach my absent minded son had his luggage "disappear" into the TSA facility when he left it unattended curbside a few years back, but hey, if you want to risk never seeing your luggage again, go for it. And FYI, TSA absolutely works the departure  terminals at all U.S. cruise ports.

There are no carousels.  Yes, you can take it to the cart yourself and walk away.  We prefer to drive into the parking garage in MIami and give our luggage to a porter.  We are on vacation, not going to sweat a tip to the porters for taking my luggage for me.  On a 7 night cruise we also get a porter when we go and get our luggage from the luggage area when the cruise is over.  In Miami, they take it from the luggage area right to our car and put it in for us.  So yes, they get a tip.  If we are in FLL or another port, we still give our luggage to the porter, not worth the hassle of dealing with it myself.

Edited by karena1
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

What do you do differently?  Not tip them?  Move the bags yourself?

I am interested in the answer as well. I have never been to POM but I have from FLL and Canaveral and they will wait with hand outstretched for money.

3 minutes ago, charmy98 said:

I am interested in the answer as well. I have never been to POM but I have from FLL and Canaveral and they will wait with hand outstretched for money.

We have cruised out of all these port multiple times.  Have never felt the porters are aggressive.  If you don't want to tip, don't.  We do, but that is the way we are.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Same here, I don’t ever recall any porter asking for money or holding their hand out wanting a tip. And they have always thanked me politely. 

Obviously we got the wrong porters, I had one lady porter when we were disembarking and she helped with my bag, I gave her $3 and she had the nerve to say "is that all" sorry but that did it for me. The $3 was all the cash I had left on me as I had been tipping during the cruise. If I could have ripped that $3 back off her I would have.  I consider myself as being a generous person but don't put your hand out before I have even hand a chance to reach into my bag for my wallet. Enough said on this topic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Not at all an overreach my absent minded son had his luggage "disappear" into the TSA facility when he left it unattended curbside a few years back, but hey, if you want to risk never seeing your luggage again, go for it. And FYI, TSA absolutely works the departure  terminals at all U.S. cruise ports.

Sorry, but TSA advises cruise lines in setting up check in procedures, but are not actively engaged in embarkation at cruise ports. 

This comes from a TSA long time employee and trainer. 

No TSA presence at a cruise port. 

8 minutes ago, charmy98 said:

Obviously we got the wrong porters, I had one lady porter when we were disembarking and she helped with my bag, I gave her $3 and she had the nerve to say "is that all" sorry but that did it for me. The $3 was all the cash I had left on me as I had been tipping during the cruise. If I could have ripped that $3 back off her I would have.  I consider myself as being a generous person but don't put your hand out before I have even hand a chance to reach into my bag for my wallet. Enough said on this topic.

Just curious. How far did she carry your bag Did she roll it through customs and to your car

2 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

Port of Miami

Terminal A

I always give my bags to the porters. Watch them load the bags on to the cart. Chat for a brief moment. Nice guys I’ve run into generally. I hand the guy a $5 and head on my way. Bags always get to my room. I hope the porter buys beer with my $5. 

• Like 3

The best money we have spent are to the porters who help us at disembarkation,  schlepping the luggage,  taking us to faster immigration lines and the shorter taxi line, Boston, or right to our car.  The taxi line in Boston looked very long and we were taken to the front and put right into a taxi.  Worth every dollar we gave him.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Same here, I don’t ever recall any porter asking for money or holding their hand out wanting a tip. And they have always thanked me politely. 

40 minutes ago, mafig said:

Never had a problem with porters.

We do tip…… but we give them the money.  Never had them ask, never had them put out their hand.  

They just stare at you. Like Bella wanting a treat. 😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

The best money we have spent are to the porters who help us at disembarkation,  schlepping the luggage,  taking us to faster immigration lines and the shorter taxi line, Boston, or right to our car.  The taxi line in Boston looked very long and we were taken to the front and put right into a taxi.  Worth every dollar we gave him.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this thread is about the porters that handle your bags at the beginning of the cruise, not at the end.

• Thanks 1