Suggestions for SF with an 8yo?

KimmyinLA

Second the Exploratorium—great visit.  Hubby and I still go even though our kids are in college.

It’s also fun to rent bikes and cycle to the Golden Gate Bridge.  My girls really enjoyed that trip (when they were 8 and 10).  

My kids also really liked the touristy stuff too—Riding a cable car, visiting Fisherman’s Wharf, going to the arcade museum, seeing the seals at the pier, going to Hyde Street Pier, Alcatraz.  You can do all of this in one day.  

How about Musee Mechanique, a few blocks from Ghirardelli's.  It has a large collection of mechanical arcade games that you can put a quarter or two in and play.  I think we spent about $5 in there and had a fun time.  A couple of machines ate our quarters though.   We didn't bother trying to get a refund but it looked like they'll get your game going or give your quarter back if you asked.  

All the above, there is also a Ripley's Believe it or not museum that is cool and take the cable car. If you are at Union Square and looking for somewhere to stop and eat there is a Cheesecake factory at the top of Macy's with cool view of the square, and great desserts.

On 9/18/2019 at 1:14 PM, scottca075 said:

Just say "No" to TCF in one of the great food cities in America.

I take out-of-town folks to the Cheesecake Factory on Union Square for the view and experience on the patio.  We only get drinks and appetizers (and save room for food elsewhere!) but you cannot beat the view!  On a nice day, it is beautiful!  I love it (and I grew up in the Bay Area).  I have found it to be a nice break from sightseeing before going to dinner and a show.

9 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

I take out-of-town folks to the Cheesecake Factory on Union Square for the view and experience on the patio.  We only get drinks and appetizers (and save room for food elsewhere!) but you cannot beat the view!  On a nice day, it is beautiful!  I love it (and I grew up in the Bay Area).  I have found it to be a nice break from sightseeing before going to dinner and a show.

For a view and an experience take them to The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus on Union Square or the Sky Bar at the Loews Regency.

1 minute ago, scottca075 said:

For a view and an experience take them to The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus on Union Square or the Sky Bar at the Loews Regency.

Good choices as well.  Where we go is usually based upon who we take.  I have found that teens and tweens (and 8 year olds like the OP asked about) like the Cheesecake Factory better than other places. 

8 hours ago, KimmyinLA said:

Thank you everyone. These are all great suggestions. I did not know about the Musee Mechanique so we will add it to our stop! Should we expect to spend about 3-4 hrs at the Exploratorium? Longer? Shorter? 

We spend lots of time there as I love all the hands on stuff.  4 hours would be a reasonable length of time.  It would give you a chance to do lots of activities but not overwhelm anyone.  Enjoy, we love it as adults.

4 hours ago, wheezedr said:

We spend lots of time there as I love all the hands on stuff.  4 hours would be a reasonable length of time.  It would give you a chance to do lots of activities but not overwhelm anyone.  Enjoy, we love it as adults.

Thanks so much. This gives us a good idea of how to loosely plan our day.

On 9/25/2019 at 1:40 AM, KimmyinLA said:

Thank you everyone. These are all great suggestions. I did not know about the Musee Mechanique so we will add it to our stop! Should we expect to spend about 3-4 hrs at the Exploratorium? Longer? Shorter? 

It's where Julie Andrews armed wrestled the machine in The Princess Diaries.  Bodin's Sourdough bread is right there in the parking lot.  Check out the breads flying overhead  Upstairs is a small company museum.