Itineraries

GAtravelers99

Hello!

I have cruised twice in the past - once with Carnival and once with RC. I have a few questions for the more experienced cruisers before I commit putting all of my stock into a loyalty program. I think that cruising is a great way to see many parts of the world, and I want to take full advantage of my past travels with a particular cruise line in order to (maybe) get the most bang for my buck. I do have two questions: 

1. Do you think it's best to simply choose the best itinerary/price, rather than being loyal to one cruise line. In other words, do you think the benefits outweigh the costs? 

2. Which cruise line has the most extensive itineraries (i.e., which cruise lines visit the most ports/countries). From what I see, Princess seems to visit the most ports, but I would like to get other's input. If I choose to be loyal to a particular brand, then it will probably be the brand with the most extensive itineraries.

Thank you!

Edited by GAtravelers99

I don't think you will be able to say absolutely which cruise line visits the most ports...certainly Holland America will be very high on the list.

As to whether you should restrict to one, or use many, you are going to get a huge selection of answers, as there is no right or wrong answer on this question. I guarantee you will get people who swear by the loyalty idea, and just as many who will say they go by itinerary only.

56 minutes ago, GAtravelers99 said:

Hello!

I have cruised twice in the past - once with Carnival and once with RC. I have a few questions for the more experienced cruisers before I commit putting all of my stock into a loyalty program. I think that cruising is a great way to see many parts of the world, and I want to take full advantage of my past travels with a particular cruise line in order to (maybe) get the most bang for my buck. I do have two questions: 

1. Do you think it's best to simply choose the best itinerary/price, rather than being loyal to one cruise line. In other words, do you think the benefits outweigh the costs? 

2. Which cruise line has the most extensive itineraries (i.e., which cruise lines visit the most ports/countries). From what I see, Princess seems to visit the most ports, but I would like to get other's input. If I choose to be loyal to a particular brand, then it will probably be the brand with the most extensive itineraries.

Thank you!

IMO, you're "in the ball park" of what factors to consider in deciding loyalty by asking about extensiveness of itineraries. After all, Roman Antiquities and the Moai on Easter Island will stay the same no matter which ship took you there.

That said, which ship (or line) is the real variable in deciding how to get where you're going. After all, it will be your home away from home for XX days. And the longer the cruise, the more important the ship becomes (I.e., quality of food and service, included perks, passenger demographics and crew ratio, etc).

We're loyal to one particular premium line because it has extensive itineraries (far more than Princess) with many ports that require smaller ships and can have the variety one needs for cruises that often exceed 3-4 weeks in duration.

That loyalty is boosted by the nature of the substantial loyalty perks which include a 14 day complimentary cruise to anywhere served (including air) each time you reach 20  credits (equivalent of twenty 10 day+\- cruises). Add ever increasing SBC, officer dinners and other gatherings plus substantial purchase discounts and the choice to be loyal is a no brainer (of course, until they run out of interesting itineraries).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

In our cruising history we have remained loyal to RCCL and, more recently, Celebrity.  But that is only what has worked for us over our 27 years of cruising. I think there are valid arguments for both sides of the discussion and I think you just have to decide what works best for you. But in our case, as a result, we now enjoy the benefits of a higher loyalty tier on both when we cruise.  Whether or not that would matter to someone else would be up to them.

There are differences in demographics, cruising style, and service levels between the different cruise lines and whether you are cruising as a younger individual or couple, or a family, or older adults, or retirees, or whether you are seeking a more traditional cruising style or expedition type would all play into what cruise lines would best appeal to you.

Most mass market cruise lines cover a wide range of destinations, and using RCI again as an example, with their RCCL, Celebrity, Azamara, and now SilverSea brands under their umbrella, they offer something for everyone in virtually every cruising region of the world.

I think you just need to determine what type of cruising appeals most to you, do some research - maybe best through a travel agent who understands the differences between the cruise lines - and go from there.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

While it makes sense to focus on a line whose general ambience appeals to you, and it is always good to receive benefits or discounts as a repeat customer, cruising is perhaps best seen as a transaction-based, rather than a relationship-based activity.

Most of us have a few factors in mind when we start planning:  preferred itinerary, most convenient dates, size of ship, embarkation ports and pricing all play a part.  It may work out for you that, every time you start thinking about a cruise, one line will always outshine the others in all factors —- but that rarely happens.  Sometimes you will find a convenient embarkation port is most important, others you will really see an itinerary that grabs you.

At the end of the day, the rewards you get from even the most generous loyalty program will rarely outweigh all other considerations. Keep an open mind.

Hi

The loyalty programs really need to take a back seat in your decision making. You are purchasing a cruise, not a loyalty program.

You will likely find yourself gravitating to certain cruise lines because of your preferences for the ships and the cruise lines style, but as far as choosing which one, it shouldn't be different than any other purchase. Itinerary and price. If the itinerary isn't where you wish to visit, how could you choose it? Price again is like anything else, if you can't afford it, don't buy it. 

Put the two together and you will have a starting point. If this is something you enjoy doing you can't think in terms of "I have to choose between one or another destination", after all there is always the next time. The same goes with the cruise line, if you don't enjoy the experience any given time, be open to a change. 

As far as prices, you will need to get an understanding of what each different cruise line is offering to justify their price. There are upscale cruise lines that are specifically trying to offer a luxury experience and there are mainstream cruise lines that are trying to create a upscale offering within their larger ships. If you are leaning to these higher price points, how are you going to decide which is best for you? You can certainly get opinions, but without trying them yourself, you will never know.

As I previously said, after several years of cruising visiting many ports and trying different ship types, you will likely find yourself gravitating to one or a few cruise lines as your favorites. Just continue as you have and you will realize that you are now well on your way to gaining some perks from your preferred cruise lines. Those perks are minor in relation to what you are purchasing. 

23 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

The loyalty programs really need to take a back seat in your decision making. You are purchasing a cruise, not a loyalty program.

Absolutely. 

If your goal is to travel by ship to many interesting places, consider Holland America ships. They have the most interesting itineraires which draws us back to this mainstream line. (Premium and luxury lines also go around the world for more money.) If your goal is to escape the winter cold by a relaxing cruise in the Caribbean, pick a line you like and enjoy their loyalty program.

1 hour ago, Floridiana said:

Absolutely. 

If your goal is to travel by ship to many interesting places, consider Holland America ships. They have the most interesting itineraires which draws us back to this mainstream line. (Premium and luxury lines also go around the world for more money.) If your goal is to escape the winter cold by a relaxing cruise in the Caribbean, pick a line you like and enjoy their loyalty program.

As I previously suggested, one should also look at the itineraries offered by the RCI companies with RCCL, Celebrity, Azamara, and SilverSea.  They, too, cover the world (Caribbean/Mediterranean/Alaska/Australia and New Zealand/Hawaii/Asia/Middle East/South America/Antarctica/Galapagos/etc.) with very interesting short and long itinerary choices that include standard mass market to smaller expedition style to high end luxury ships and services.  Their loyalty programs are also reciprocal in terms of shared tier benefits between RCCL, Celebrity, and Azamara.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

As far as I am concerned, since the cruise companies have zero loyalty to me, I return the favor and have zero loyalty to them.  I pick cruises depending upon itinerary, ship size (the smaller the better), cost and then as a distant last the cruise company and ship.

Just my opinion but if you look at what you get from the loyalty programs, they all are worth almost nothing unless you are at the absolute highest loyalty level and maybe not even then.

DON

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

As far as I am concerned, since the cruise companies have zero loyalty to me, I return the favor and have zero loyalty to them.  I pick cruises depending upon itinerary, ship size (the smaller the better), cost and then as a distant last the cruise company and ship.

Just my opinion but if you look at what you get from the loyalty programs, they all are worth almost nothing unless you are at the absolute highest loyalty level and maybe not even then.

DON

Seconded.  Booking a cruise just because of your loyalty perks is unthinking.  Compare your our-of-pocket costs on whatever ships/lines are sailing the itinerary and date you want. Another line might cost you the same, or possibly less, than your favorite  - even when you have to pay for laundry, internet time or whatever.

9 hours ago, GAtravelers99 said:

I see no reason to "be loyal" but if a cruiseline has everything you want I see no reason to cruise with another line. After our first cruise, on NCL, we thought that we should always cruise with them, not to be loyal but because we like their product.  We continued to cruise with them until they raised the Havenprices to an absurd level! 

We used to try a different line, or at least a ship, each year... but that novelty has worn off now.

All provided reasonable food, or at least a speciality restaurant; every bed has been good, and the stewards /waiters excellent.

Now we look at itineraries and the departure ports- if the food turns out to be not too great then we have our main meal ashore.

The sort of itinerary we look for is something like the one we missed, a couple of years ago-  UK- 2 islands in the Azores, 2 nights in Bermuda, 2 different Azores islands and back to the UK.

Or last year- just Iceland, with none of the side trips to Norway or Scottish isles. 

The ship is the least of our decision when we see such itineraries.

I personally like the itineraries offered by HAL. I cruise to see new places and to get a taste of different parts of the world to determine where I want to spend additional time on a land tour.   I am not loyal to them but now that I have free laundry (best of the 4 star perks) I do always check their cruise options.  

Because itinerary is is the most important thing to me I don’t worry about the ship details or the loyalty programs when booking.  I’m sure that isn’t true for everyone. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 8:55 AM, donaldsc said:

DON

Yup.  Unless you have a lot of cruise days under your belt and are at a high level, loyalty hardly is beneficial.  Nowadays, loyalty seems to go one way.  We are 4 star so we do get some perks like laundry, discounted premium restaurant meals, a discount in the gift shop, early boarding, etc.  But, it takes a lot of cruise days to get there.  Also, I have found that there are onboard promotions that pretty much match our upscale restaurant discount.  If you anticipate doing a lot of cruising in the future, then it might be slightly worth it, but don't drive yourself nuts by sticking to one operator if you find an itinerary you like on another.  My husband seems to think we can only travel on one cruiseline due to our loyalty, but I don't necessarily agree.