Horizon / Live / Solo - Sep 21-29-2019

sid_9169

5 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Hey Sid! I'm sailing on the Sunrise this week (and next), and instead of docking in Bermuda today, we are in Charleston. Damn you Humberto! Anyway,  while Patti shops I am sitting at a bar having the first of many drinks. I will raise the next one to you! Have a great cruise and I look forward to your adventures, especially at the Alchemy Bar. We love the raspberry martini's there.😀

Thanks, Jamman54... I will be giving the Alchemy bartenders a good workout next week. I hope they can handle it!

Anyhoo, back to the real story here...

I always stay in the downtown / Brickell area of Miami the night prior to cruising, due to the proximity to the port, as well as being walking 
distance from any number of happy hour and dining locations...My pre-cruise tradition, after landing and checking into the hotel, includes 
spending vast amounts of American dollars on food and beverages, before stumbling back to the hotel... Miamis' free Metromover system helps a 
lot in this regard, and allows for a variety of locations with zero travel costs. 

I'm not loyal to any particular hotel chain, as I don't travel often enough to reap any sort of rewards... For this trip, I chose the nearly new 
Hyatt Centric in Brickell. It puts me right in the middle of the action, and I can easily walk or take the Metromover anywhere in the downtown 
area. 

***As an aside: I normally do the introduction to my reviews on a desktop computer, but I'm at work today, and the desktop that contains my data is over at my part time job... Last night, I went over there, and copyed and pasted the entire text, and emailed it to myself. The only problem was, that I didn't know how to copy and paste on a cell phone. (Old people problems...) Anyway, I spent hours last night trying to figure it out. I still couldn't do it... Well, this morning I got to work, and one of the younger guys was able to show me how to do it in about ten seconds... I owe this kid an adult beverage... (Note: he is over 21... I would never buy alcohol for kids, that's how I got started...)
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, sandyzag said:

YAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!   The time is finally here for another of Sid's adventures!   Can't wait!

You see?... Now, that's what I call enthusiasm!... Welcome to the party, sandyzag...

Edited by sid_9169

4 hours ago, sid_9169 said:
It was the best of times... It was the worst of times... Shortly after my return from the Norwegian Breakaway in February, I found out that I 
would have to find a new place to live in the next couple of months. I had just started a new job, that wasn't quite going so well, and now this... I had no future cruises booked, which further compounded my bleak outlook on life. I needed to get a countdown going to ease my 
frustration. I began poking around online, and was close to pulling the trigger on a 7 day Vista sailing out of Galveston... I looked around some more, and 
came across an 8 day sailing on Carnival's newest ship, the Horizon. It ended up being only a few hundred dollars more, and it was a Southern Caribbean itinerary, to all new ports to me, and I just held my breath and clicked the "book now" button...

My countdown was 196 days, and my 50th birthday would fall smack dab in the middle of the cruise. Now, at least I had something to look forward 
to in my life... It did take the sting out of the depression I was feeling, not knowing where I would even be living in the near future. I had already started packing my stuff, as the move was inevitable. 

Looking forward to following along.  I understand the part about depression and having something to look forward to, which is why I always have at least a few cruises booked. That way when a cruise ends and I am walking off the ship, I always know I have another cruise to look forward to in the future. 

• Like 2

I just found out that the owner of my company is going to take me out to a nice restaurant for my birthday dinner... I promise that the food and beverage p0rn will be a significant improvement from my 89 cent lunch...

***Another "stole from the internet" picture of the Horizon, just to keep you interested...

71085971_2461083390777650_6920754148648419328_n.jpg

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

My lunch today, as well as what I'll probably be eating for the next month, due to all of the money I have already sunk into this vacation...

IMG_20190918_124317246.jpg

I eat those pretty often.  They're a good cheap source of Omega-3's.  Which will come in handy for the thinking required to plan your cruise.  I just don't bring them to work for lunch: fish smells, you know.  I eat them for breakfast instead; I spread cream cheese on toast, then mash the sardines on top.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

I eat those pretty often.  They're a good cheap source of Omega-3's.  Which will come in handy for the thinking required to plan your cruise.  I just don't bring them to work for lunch: fish smells, you know.  I eat them for breakfast instead; I spread cream cheese on toast, then mash the sardines on top.

Another good source of Omega 3

Whataburger-Extra-Jalapenos.png

+

81K+YS3qOhL._SY355_.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

I was going to buy this shirt for the occasion, but I figured why waste the money on something you can only really wear once... Also, because there have been 12 leap years since 1969, that odometer should read 18,262...

You could wear it every cruise. Nobody knows how old you are. You could probably get some free drinks, cakes...party favors.

• Like 6

My trusty, rusty Motorola Droid turbo II, that has been on every cruise for the past four years started giving me trouble recently... I knew that there was no way of doing another live review with only one phone, so I bit the bullet and bought a new Google Pixel 3 XL, and my Pixel II XL will now play the supporting role... The good news is, that both of these feature "state of the art" cameras... I'm just hoping that the Horizon internet is better than NCL...

Tribe member 131 jumping on for the ride. Actually have no idea about the number but liked the sound of it.

Nondrinker here, but definite foodie, although a lot more basic than what you try. Admire your ability to try pretty much anything.

Happy early Birthday and happy belated internet birthday.

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE SID!!!!!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

My trusty, rusty Motorola Droid turbo II, that has been on every cruise for the past four years started giving me trouble recently... I knew that there was no way of doing another live review with only one phone, so I bit the bullet and bought a new Google Pixel 3 XL, and my Pixel II XL will now play the supporting role... The good news is, that both of these feature "state of the art" cameras... I'm just hoping that the Horizon internet is better than NCL...

It should be good internet. I don't remember if you were on Vista before or after the upgrade. But I experienced good speeds on Vista. Horizon is supposed to be the same.

• Like 1