Royal Eliminates Neighborhood Balcony Perks

ValerieJo

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

That ship has sailed- the best you can do is get a bit more OBC. 

We never book neighbourhood balconies so this does not personally affect us but why don't RCCL be more proactive and offer every cabin $100 obc that are affected as when some complain strongly enough this is what they get.

This would turn bad PR into good PR imo.

38 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

Thanks. Here is the note I sent:

I want to apologize for my interruption of the executive office but feel the need to reach out.

I have never sailed Royal Caribbean before. I made two reservations on Oasis of the Seas based upon the recommendation of an influential travel agent. He highly recommends your Boardwalk View balconies in part because of some of the extra amenities they come with--soda packages, a family lunch for 4, and a family rock-climbing session.

Those items were included with my reservation at the time I put down my deposits for both cruises, but yesterday I received a note that they would be taken away. I was offered $50 in credits as compensation, but replacing the soda package alone would cost about $150. If our roles were reversed, I believe it would be obvious that this is purely a takeaway.

Your call center seems to be well-trained in deflecting the real issue and taking the company line. One in particular (Kevin, id 14611) got quite rude when challenged on the fairness of this change. I could tell I would make no progress through standard channels, which is why I am sending this note.

Will you lose me as a customer over this? Maybe. I'm not going to do anything rash or stupid. I'm working with my travel agent on other options. I won't change anything until I have something better lined up. But am I the kind of person who would abandon a company solely on the principle of fairness? Yes, I probably am. We will find out for sure once final payments are due.

I've sailed on other cruise lines. I know cruise passengers can be notorious for demanding things they are not entitled to. Cruise passengers can get furious when mechanical problems cancel a port or weather changes itineraries. But let's be honest--this is an issue entirely within the control of Royal Caribbean. It is a promise broken. Truth be told, it seems arrogant to me.

I would like to offer Royal Caribbean the opportunity to fix this.

@MightyMike - it is great that the situation is now resolved, but I wanted to tell you that this is a VERY well-written  note of complaint.  Kudos.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We never book neighbourhood balconies so this does not personally affect us but why don't RCCL be more proactive and offer every cabin $100 obc that are affected as when some complain strongly enough this is what they get.

This would turn bad PR into good PR imo.

Because they have fixed it.

4 hours ago, MightyMike said:

Yes, and you can purchase the two soda packages for $148.52. I'm not sure what they charge for a personal Rock Climbing Wall session. Therefore, using Royal Caribbean's own numbers, the value of the perk is at least $200. 

There are two fair and equatable resolutions: 1) honor the original deal and grandfather those who were promised these perks, or 2) offer a $200 credit as equivalent compensation. Offering "compensation" of 1/4 the value of the original deal is sheer arrogance.

I was just referring to the CP perks.

• Like 1

Right before reading about the FIX, I received a reply to my letter to Bayley complaining about the perk debacle. Ms. Tiffany simply noted it doesn't apply to me because my cruise is in 2019, but said anyone in 2020 and 21 whose bookings were affected would be receiving "other communications." I wondered what that was about since the removal of perks letters had already gone out in the past 2 days. Got on here and found out about the new emails with the options.

Congrats to all! A bunch of individual voices expressing the same thought becomes a chorus!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

I have not seen an official post on RC social media yet but have seen many posts from others here and on FB indicting RC has made this right. Kudos to all who sent emails to the CEO, called the call center and posted on social media.  For every call the call center received on the topic was one less reservation made, which is far more profitable than the Dine Drink Discover perks.  Money talks... 

I wonder if the $50 OBC offer was a test to see how people would react.  If there was no or little reaction then great money saved.  If there was a strong reaction walk it back  Kinda of a win win. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Because they have fixed it.

I think they realized that in the end it was cheaper to let everyone keep the perk than to pay the OBC to cover the soda package (BW balcony perk) for two people on a 7-night cruise.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

I think they realized that in the end it was cheaper to let everyone keep the perk than to pay the OBC to cover the soda package (BW balcony perk) for two people on a 7-night cruise.

Did I miss the post that mentioned what happens to the folks that the extra OBC? Does that get pulled?

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Did I miss the post that mentioned what happens to the folks that the extra OBC? Does that get pulled?

I've not seen a post that talks about how Royal is actually handling that extra OBC.

They could have just made the overall change effective for cruises starting in May 2021 since  those itineraries aren't even available to book yet and avoided this whole debacle. I am assuming I will ha e an email tonight or tomorrow showing that they are giving me an option for my BW balcony on Symphony in April 2021.

• Like 2

Dear Guest,

Every once in a while, we wish we were in the time travel business instead of the cruise business. Especially, after our recent change to our DINE - DRINK - DISCOVER program. You see, after some research showing that guests weren't using the program's amenities, we decided to discontinue it and provide a credit to use onboard instead for those already confirmed.

Some guests really liked the change. For others, our announcement did not go over very well, So, while we can't go back in time - we have listened to your feedback and hear you, loud and clear.

On that note, we're happy to share that we are letting you choose! If you prefer to keep the DINE - DRINK - DISCOVER program, you can. Or, if you prefer the $50 Onboard Credit to use how you'd like and where'd you like, you can choose that. You get to decide!

What's next? Please click here to let us know your preference by October 4th, 2019.

Thank you for your patience and understanding and more importantly, for the opportunity to make this right. Here are some housekeeping details:

• If you go with the Onboard Credit Offer, it will be added to your reservation by October 11th.
  • If you chose to be grandfathered in to the original program, you will receive your amenities while onboard.
  • If you don't select an option by the date above, we will take that as you have selected the Onboard Credit and we will add it to your booking by October 11th.
  • This offer is valid for guests that booked on or before September 18, 2019.

Now, back to planning your awesome cruise vacation and we'll get back to working on that time machine! We really hate disappointing our guests and hope this makes it better. Can't wait to have you onboard, where the real magic happens.

Sincerely,

Aurora Yera-Rodriguez

AVP of Guest Services

Royal Caribbean International

• Like 1